Cadets 2018

44 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Cadets aren’t a destination corps for most

They have to make themselves a destination corps again. 

• Like 4

What Jeff said. 

It's rarified air at the top now...no easy task to place in that top 6.  Heck... top 12, top 17....solid all the way through. 

After what Cadets went through a few months ago... it's really amazing that they are where they are right now. I mean, the entire YEA organization was teetering on the brink of disaster.

I'm having a hard time remembering when another corps endured such a "worst case scenario" situation in the offseason and came out of it the way The Cadets, Cadets2, and all of YEA have. A solid DCI finalist, and a potential DCA champion, in 2018. Who'da thunk it???

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the score seems like it should have moved, but caption analysis shows some did in good ways. I'm not writing anything off yet. And let's be honest, the 6 above them are ###### good. This isn't 1995 anymore where it was BD, Cavies and Cadets at the top every year. Anyone thinking Cadets were suddenly going to be in the hunt after April is fooling themselves. They had to do some major redesign, and God Bless the kids, they stuck it out, but some staff changes hurt other sections more than others, and the recruiting in the offseason wasn't what it could have been given the slide leading into this year.

This is, IMO, a 2/3 year project. I'm not convinced everyone on design/staff now remains. But the organization has work to do before they can just go cutting big checks. I think the offseason may show some movement on that front, and just the change at the top will help draw in more recruits than had been coming. Next Year I think is when we see some movement starting to happen.

And...there's still a lot of #### to clean. I think getting back to home turf will energize the kids too. 

Realistically speaking, you are very right.  This is a 2-3 year project. 

Step one, this year, is UNITY.  Put out a production that is memorable, and have a year that people will be talking about for years to come.  Get the house in order.  Put things in place behind-the-scenes that will set up future success.

I think there are still some potential staff, fans, and future members that are treading water.  When it's all said and done, this year will be referenced as the year when support really started to come back to the corps.  Of course, the story is not over yet!

• Like 4

A smarter analysis of DCI judging at the moment post-San Antonio shows how little other than Spirit any corps CONSISTENTLY showed a marked improvement of score. Observe the posters on the Cali corps threads, the Cavaliers thread, etc. Corps are seeing some vacillation on individual judge's sheets as the adjudicator on that sheet shifts from contest to contest and brings a different personality rather than robotic consistency one expects in this AI world of technology.  It's the long haul that's the most important and the trajectory not the given night. Unless the judge is M. Anderson or Nygyen, the Cadets will get a fair shake for the performance as it is just like other corps.  But the nay-saying, the sky-is-falling, the posters with the admitted chips on their shoulders (FTNK publicly states on another thread about hazing,) make it a self-fulfillment that the corps hasn't been a destination corps. Listening to the postings on other social sites (not just Reddit) gives a conclusion that future mms are most impressed with mms of Cadets 2018.

What has yet to be added are the "cleaners" The Bilbys, DeGroffs, Roches of previous seasons. Waiting to see who Dr. Drew allows to hear and fine tune his hornline with fresh ears; ditto with Aungst and percussion. And who hasn't fantasized that Peggy or April or Emma will pop in for a weekend for Sam's much, much improved guard.

It's easy to complain and destroy. Much harder to build and improve.

Chicken Little, the Sky is not falling.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tommeee said:

I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion about their score being inflated by approximately 3-5 points.  Exactly how would that break down?  8-9th place would not be 3-5 points below where they are, so the math does not compute.

From my perspective, I think Cadets have been UNDER-scored in certain aspects.  Especially some of the content numbers.

If they were scored on July 1, three points lower then normal growth for the last 3 weeks would have put them right near where they are now (probably within 1 point) and people would not be saying that their score was becoming stagnant! 

A 76 on July 2 (compared to Boston at 77) was not a true reflection of where their show was at that time and seeing them 3-5 points lower say 72-73 would have them  growing at a similar rate as the other corps around them. I would have had them 4-5 points behind Boston when I saw them and only 3-4 points ahead of Spirit not 8 points. Just my personal judgement.

15 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Seems like the biggest problem is GE. But what can you do if you have to re-design a show in a month?

The reality is THIS right here.  In fact, they may be the most amazing group ever because of what they had to endure in the spring, and are still in that 7th slot with a possibility of moving up.  I mean think about it - in this activity, where show design and composition is more score-impactful than any other area, they started out months behind everyone above and below them because of the late re-write, yet they are still in a good position today!  To Heck with the scores!!!!

I don't get to  many shows live anymore unfortunately, and this year I am more disappointed in that fact than ever - because I wanted to stand and scream for the Cadets, and I really wanted to see this show live.  The theater will be the best I get, but I can live with that.

And Yes, I will be "that guy" that stands and cheers in the movie theater for the Cadets!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Explain to me why this is relevant to anything? 

And where is this from anyway? That doesn't sound like my writing. Just so you know, clicking the arrow on the right of the post shows what I actually said. Try again. 

I think he just accidentally replied within the quote.

8 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

I think he just accidentally replied within the quote.

Then he should probably have deleted it. 

• Haha 1