Cadets 2018

Here’s a thought for those hung up on score:

where did 1989, the beloved Les Miserables show place?

5th. Crown wasn’t even around yet. Bloo was new to making finals. Phantom was a contender. I don’t think BK had cracked too 15 yet, and Blue Stars were D3. So times have changed, much like that ending in 89 every few days.

it wasnt the end of the world and 28 yearslater the show is universally beloved. Even Cadets haters love it.

so score isn’t everything. Besides, 1990 worked out ok 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Here’s a thought for those hung up on score:

where did 1989, the beloved Les Miserables show place?

5th. Crown wasn’t even around yet. Bloo was new to making finals. Phantom was a contender. I don’t think BK had cracked too 15 yet, and Blue Stars were D3. So times have changed, much like that ending in 89 every few days.

it wasnt the end of the world and 28 yearslater the show is universally beloved. Even Cadets haters love it.

so score isn’t everything. Besides, 1990 worked out ok 

For sure. It's annoying, though, to catch yourself thinking about certain Cadets shows that placed higher than this one -- looking at you, 2008 and 2016 in particular (but those 2016 musicians!!).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, East9900 said:

Big difference is that this program was thrown together just a few months before spring training. Imagine if the design team had a full off-season. One thing that makes me very optimistic to the future of the Cadets from a design standpoint is this: no huge overhauls. That shows at least a design stability in my opinion. One could argue that they could have added/subtracted more, but like I mentioned- this program was put together in an incredibly short time. 

To have a show designed with such a short period and STILL be a finalist and placing 7th, I feel pretty good about the future of The Cadets.

If any year is to be overlooked by placement, I think this is the one. That being said, people will remember this year's corps. I think this corps has incredible significance to the future and we will look back at this year with fondness and incredible respect for what they (members and staff) were able to do.

Not to mention, this year has some incredible shows and placing 7th this year in my opinion is pretty impressive. Next year placing 7th or lower is another story. But I have a lot of faith in what's going on.... something I didn't feel strongly about a few months ago.

So smart we all need to read it three times!

• Like 2

Just now, George Dixon said:

So smart we all need to read it three times!

Yeah, there IS a lot going on here, to be remembered. New director and some new staff suddenly in April, mostly new show put together then, and as others have brought up the corps maybe isn't drawing so much big talent like they used to. The latter, plus maybe a few staff that are not a perfect fit, are probably big reasons why they're not cleaning to Top 5 caliber. But in fact, the fortitude of everyone involved are big reasons they're even here and effectively the same ranking as the last 2 years!

In years past, I wouldn't totally buy the argument that it was bad show design leading to low placements -- I would accept that for low GE scores, but not for low performance scores. OK, the show is bad, but why can't they at least clean? But of course, many of those years saw the show design fluctuate during the summer with rewrites, so of course it was hard to clean. And as years of off and on show designs, and what the former director was known for, wore on the corps' reputation, it probably was eroding the talent draw, making it even harder to clean to championship levels.

Les Miserables is one of my favorite shows.  I remember being in the stands near Zingali and listening to him throughout the show.  The fight scene blew me away!

I'm so proud of both Cadets and C2. Through all of their struggles on and off the field since April, they have been true Cadets. They are laying the foundation for the future, just like the 80 and 81 corps did.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, East9900 said:

Big difference is that this program was thrown together just a few months before spring training. Imagine if the design team had a full off-season. One thing that makes me very optimistic to the future of the Cadets from a design standpoint is this: no huge overhauls. That shows at least a design stability in my opinion. One could argue that they could have added/subtracted more, but like I mentioned- this program was put together in an incredibly short time. 

To have a show designed with such a short period and STILL be a finalist and placing 7th, I feel pretty good about the future of The Cadets.

If any year is to be overlooked by placement, I think this is the one. That being said, people will remember this year's corps. I think this corps has incredible significance to the future and we will look back at this year with fondness and incredible respect for what they (members and staff) were able to do.

Not to mention, this year has some incredible shows and placing 7th this year in my opinion is pretty impressive. Next year placing 7th or lower is another story. But I have a lot of faith in what's going on.... something I didn't feel strongly about a few months ago.

Playing devil's advocate...but who do the Cadets pass next year? 

I am saying this because this is the first year in recent memory that ALL of the top 6 shows are great. Looking back just to 15/16 the Cavaliers and Boston weren't as competitive and you had BK knocking on the door of the back half of finals. There has always been a gap between the top groups and BK...and the Cadets this year are already past BK but a distance from the top groups.

I know we are all used to the Cadets being in the mix for a championship and I would love a 7 horse race... I just think they have a lot of work ahead of them to make it that way

Edited by ThePlanets

Just now, ThePlanets said:

Playing devil's advocate...but who do the Cadets pass next year? 

I am saying this because this is the first year in recent memory that ALL of the top 6 shows are great. Looking back just to 15/16 the Cavaliers and Boston weren't as competitive and you had BK knocking on the door of the back half of finals. There has always been a gap between the top groups and BK...and the Cadets this year are past BK but a distance from the top groups 

True, but stuff happens and the current Top 6 won't be there every year!  Well, except BD.

• Like 1