Cadets 2018

2 hours ago, FTNK said:

Honestly wondering if/how they can be competitive if they continue to play and march at the same time

This is a great point.  I don’t think anyone is moving (traditionally) as much as the Cadets.  But, I also don’t think this drill is always effective.  Yes, there are moments that very much are.

I think of late, musical clarity is HUGE for judges.  And effect is absolutely EVERYTHING.  Much easier to do both NOT on the move.  Drill seems not to be credited in composition unless it is generating effect.  Demand isn’t necessarily effective.  I think a lot of groups, based on trends in evaluation, are smartly picking their spots to move and play.  And when they do, it’s a calculated and effective risk.

To FTNK’s point, I think we are seeing the answer.  The drill is tough and it is being achieved well at this point.  And that gets you 7th place.  I’m guessing the future for the group will include more effective prop use, better visual integration of guard, and development of stronger non-marching movement skills.  It kinda has to.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

add in 80...they almost folded

Yes, they did.

Gotta have 1980 on a list of pivotal years for the Cadets.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, One n Done said:

This is a great point.  I don’t think anyone is moving (traditionally) as much as the Cadets.  But, I also don’t think this drill is always effective.  Yes, there are moments that very much are.

I think of late, musical clarity is HUGE for judges.  And effect is absolutely EVERYTHING.  Much easier to do both NOT on the move.  Drill seems not to be credited in composition unless it is generating effect.  Demand isn’t necessarily effective.  I think a lot of groups, based on trends in evaluation, are smartly picking their spots to move and play.  And when they do, it’s a calculated and effective risk.

To FTNK’s point, I think we are seeing the answer.  The drill is tough and it is being achieved well at this point.  And that gets you 7th place.  I’m guessing the future for the group will include more effective prop use, better visual integration of guard, and development of stronger non-marching movement skills.  It kinda has to.

As weird as it may sound, going "old school" (traditional uniforms, fast drill) could set them apart in a good way. If they can execute the drill at a high level, they could argue to the judges that what they are doing is more difficult and deserve more credit. 

I think there's a way to add the marching and movement in a way that could set them apart. There's also that possibility it will attract more players if they would rather put the emphasis on marching movement over dance movement. 

If they chose to do this, they would have to create drill that would give fans/judges those wow moments. Unfortunately that is severely missing from them lately. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FTNK said:

Honestly wondering if/how they can be competitive if they continue to play and march at the same time

Personally, I'd rather them play and march at the same time than be competitive.  At the Annapolis show, I was sitting next to a hero of mine, who's performed in European tours of the production Oklahoma and ran his own theater company in NYC (I know, right! How am I this lucky to work with the guy!?!??!).  Anyway, it was his first drum corps experience.  

At the end of the night he turned to me and said, "Your corps? Now that was entertaining."  He was blown away by the visceral power of the constant motion matching the musical intensity.  The other "broadway-esque" shows were interesting to him (Mandarins was his second favorite... he was frustrated by BD, which I thought was hilarious!), but not as effective to a man who knows Broadway. 

So.... march and play.  March and play.      

• Like 6

2 hours ago, One n Done said:

Demand isn’t necessarily effective

BINGO! (ding-ding-ding!!!) $$$$$$

When it becomes obvious content is included for the sake of including content and not really furthering the purpose of the overall program design... Judges frown upon that, big time. Kiss of death.

Hi again, was at the Chester show....they should be scoring higher. :eh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 20XXMM said:

Hi again, was at the Chester show....they should be scoring higher. :eh:

The performance captions did well they just got dinged big time in GE 

• Like 1