Cadets 2018

Just now, crownisking said:

That show would have been so much less cringe worthy if it were done today. They could have used professional voice actors and just played it as a voiceover. Asking college kids to read that script live was destined to be a fail. By no fault of their own, of course.

I think you have a strong point, but the script... egads. They could have had James Earl Jones or Michael Dorn reading it and it wouldn't have helped. It would be like one of the Mystery Science Theater episodes where a major actor is in the movie but it's so bad even they couldn't save it.

• Like 2

Just now, BigW said:

I think you have a strong point, but the script... egads. They could have had James Earl Jones or Michael Dorn reading it and it wouldn't have helped. It would be like one of the Mystery Science Theater episodes where a major actor is in the movie but it's so bad even they couldn't save it.

True. The script was pretty bad. I just think that was a show they should have saved for a few years later. That show deserved to be done better than what 2008 could allow for it to be done.

19 minutes ago, crownisking said:

That show would have been so much less cringe worthy if it were done today. They could have used professional voice actors and just played it as a voiceover. Asking college kids to read that script live was destined to be a fail. By no fault of their own, of course.

Or they could have just ditched the entire narration altogether. :biggrin:

18 minutes ago, BigW said:

I don't think or believe 13th or lower is in the cards. If I set the odds on it, it would be somewhere around winning the Powerball or getting struck by lightning on a sunny day. :winky:

I hope not. I'm so curious about how spring training is going. The suspense is killing me. 

5 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Or they could have just ditched the entire narration altogether. :biggrin:

Maybe. But it’s kind of like the 2007 show. Remove the narration and the theme doesn’t really make sense. Both shows, for better or worse, were built around the narration. Timing is important too though. To do that show after all the controversies from the year before...and all the controversies from the year before that...seems almost defiant. That show never had a chance of being liked. 

9 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Maybe. But it’s kind of like the 2007 show. Remove the narration and the theme doesn’t really make sense. Both shows, for better or worse, were built around the narration. Timing is important too though. To do that show after all the controversies from the year before...and all the controversies from the year before that...seems almost defiant. That show never had a chance of being liked. 

True.

had forgotten how great those last 90 seconds were...KILLER marching !!

• Like 1

Apologies if this was already addressed, but I seem to remember some drawings/photos of the uni and shako a few months ago (before The Article...).

Anyone know if they're keeping that design?  This was back when the show was still The Conversation.  Curious if it's still in keeping with the Unity Project.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Apologies if this was already addressed, but I seem to remember some drawings/photos of the uni and shako a few months ago (before The Article...).

Anyone know if they're keeping that design?  This was back when the show was still The Conversation.  Curious if it's still in keeping with the Unity Project.

Yes that’s the design. It seems pretty cool to me, the back is black which is written into the drill and a lot of the choreography to focus the visual attention. With shakos 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, crownisking said:

DEFIANT is a good way to put it.  I think many things that the Cadets did over the years had an air of defiance, whether it be asymetrical drill, using drum corps as art, narration, the "amen", etc.  Some of that stuff was innovative, and a lot of it was initially hated (but looked at more favorably AFTER the fact).  

It's OK to be defiant.  I think the problem was, the former director did some of it SPECIFICALLY to irk people.  He KNEW what people didn't like, and he doubled down on it.  He was very good at creating controversy.

I don't mind a LITTLE BIT of defiance, especially if it can be used to motivate the members.  But we can do without "in your face, I don't care what you think" designs.  Subtlety goes a long way.

I'm really anxious to see what the team can do now.  Personally, I think they have great ideas on what people want to see and hear.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tommeee said:

I think the problem was, the former director did some of it SPECIFICALLY to irk people.  He KNEW what people didn't like, and he doubled down on it.  He was very good at creating controversy.

It’s hard to argue with that point. Three years in a row with narration, each show more hated than the one before it certainly feels intentional.

• Like 2