Cadets 2018

3 hours ago, Tommeee said:

I just watched the Vic Firth lot video from San Antonio.  Battery is really cleaning up nicely!  

Full disclosure, I actually chose to watch the Boston Crusaders lot video first.  I just love Colin's writing, and WOW!  TONS of notes, just like always.  Really intense.  

I don't know if percussion has ever been as strong, top to bottom, as it is this year.  It's pretty mind-blowing, actually!  And Cadets are right there!

Actually they aren't "right there".  7th in percussion out of 8 corps at NightBeat. And 8th in perc. at Atlanta.  I don't call that being right there.......sorry.

Edited by afd

1 hour ago, afd said:

Actually they aren't "right there".  7th in percussion out of 8 corps at NightBeat. And 8th in perc. at Atlanta.  I don't call that being right there.......sorry.

Let's consider that the 6 above them in Percussion are the top 6 corps...and Cadets seem to be 7th across the board at that show. A .5 gap between 6 and 7 is a little more concerning.

But I agree... Bluecoats have excellent percussion and are scoring usually in the bottom of the 4-6 range. Percussion this year is great and @Tommeee really enjoys the Cadets percussion this year. They are really good and it's encouraging.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, afd said:

True, but the scores are fairly tight in the top 8 or so.  According to DCP weighted scores, Cadets are about 1 percussion point (1/2 actual point) away from a top 3 percussion. Not too shabby, but yes 8th is 8th.

• Like 5

What has happened with Cadet's percussion?  I assumed with Tom Aungst back in the driving seat they would challenge for the top?  Maybe they don't have the same talent as the top lines?  I know nothing about percussion but Cadet's sound really strong to my untrained ears!

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

What has happened with Cadet's percussion?  I assumed with Tom Aungst back in the driving seat they would challenge for the top?  Maybe they don't have the same talent as the top lines?  I know nothing about percussion but Cadet's sound really strong to my untrained ears!

Dirt, plain and simple. To trained ears, it’s as plain as day. Put Cadets next to Vanguard. You’ll understand then. It’s going to take a couple of seasons to get the standard raised to accustomed levels. Patience!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, afd said:

Eye toll

anyone who knows anything about today’s dci judging knows a corps is slotted into a position by the lemming judges and then all the captions are magically 7th

its rare when a corps has a caption odd a spot or two 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Eye toll

anyone who knows anything about today’s dci judging knows a corps is slotted into a position by the lemming judges and then all the captions are magically 7th

I do sense a bit of sarcasm in your post but...

Look at BKs numbers on the Atlanta sheet. I believe they are 7th in brass/percussion and 14th in guard. They have just about every placement covered 7-14 by the judges.

Edited by ThePlanets

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Eye toll

George I admire your love for the Cadets. They are your bread and butter Corp. I guess I was surprised by the post I responded to basically saying have you’ve seen a better Cadets drum line and I have. Early to mid 2000’s they were the drum line to beat winning three drum titles in a row. There are very good but so is 7 others. 

Edited by afd
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, afd said:

George I admire your love for the Cadets. They are your bread and butter Corp. I guess I was surprised by the post I responded to basically saying have you’ve seen a better Cadets drum line and I have. Early to mid 2000’s they were the drum line to beat winning three drum titles in a row. There are very good but so is 7 others. 

so you believe that in 2016 Cadets had the sixth best percussion & brass? are you sure judges don't just slot a corps in a place and then (mostly) rank them that in all categories?

I've been around this a LONG time - trust me, DCI judging is not nearly as accurate and "fair" as people think it is

this year I'd put Cadets percussion about fourth - behind SCV, Crown & BD

but yes, I've seen better Cadets lines

but the judging is a bit suspect at times, all I'm saying...