Cadets 2018

1 minute ago, chaddyt said:

Anomaly.

Either poor number management from the judge, or he just wasn't watching.  Cadets guard is much improved, but they shouldn't be beating Crown or BAC's line in either content or execution.

He left plenty of room to put Cadets in the 17.xx range where they have been.  But gave them 18.2 instead. *shrug*

Just now, chris ncsu said:

He left plenty of room to put Cadets in the 17.xx range where they have been.  But gave them 18.2 instead. *shrug*

Well then the whiff of weed I got must've been from where he was sitting because he was definitely smokin' something.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, GlenI said:

I was in Chester last night. To my eyes and ears the show is shaping up nicely. My frustration is that the most glaring issue should be fixable immediately. My problem is with the field audio. The tonal balance, particularly with the choral section seems to be bumped way up in the lower midrange (~500Hz). The vocals were unclear and muddled, hiding what I think is a fantastic performance by the voices. In addition (unlike many other corps that over amplify their soloists), I strained to hear the soloists due to the poor sound engineering. This is almost entirely a technology/engineering issue. I hate to be this critical, but the MMS are doing a heck of a job with a very good program. They deserve better in field audio competence. 

The part of the show where the vocals add the most to the ensemble, you have to struggle to hear them. Doesn't quite make sense.

45 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Man... I know I'm getting old when high-speed drill is "old school."  :tongue:

I was really using it tongue-in-cheek, but there is a tad bit of truth to it if things continue to take the path they are going. 

I view old school as anything that isn't the norm but used to be. Traditional uniforms are on their way to becoming "old school" in my opinion if the trend continues and that's only a few years ago, which is insane that it has evolved this suddenly.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dans said:

The part of the show where the vocals add the most to the ensemble, you have to struggle to hear them. Doesn't quite make sense.

Hearing them at NightBEAT I would have to agree. I love the blend of the voice, but it seems to be missing a crispness that makes it hard to understand what they are saying. I'm not sure if volume is the issue, but I do think it is the way they are being produced electronically.

4 minutes ago, East9900 said:

Hearing them at NightBEAT I would have to agree. I love the blend of the voice, but it seems to be missing a crispness that makes it hard to understand what they are saying. I'm not sure if volume is the issue, but I do think it is the way they are being produced electronically.

Well, they aren't singing in English. That might be why you can't understand what they're saying

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Well, they aren't singing in English. That might be why you can't understand what they're saying

They might be talking about the closer, which is in English. And based on what I heard only at practice, I agree that some words can't be deciphered over the corps.

Can't believe we're complaining about not being able to hear words over the players LOL Brave new world...

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, sched88 said:

Do you feel that with all of the props on the field these days, the drill has become less interesting? When I watch videos today, I feel like the drill isn't as interesting to watch compared to when the field was practically empty except for the corps itself.  The props take away the space for the marching members to do the kind of drill that sticks out and has those "wow" moments.  Plus, when members have to stop and move the props around, it is taking time away from actual marching too.  

I agree with you. I am more of a whiplash-drill-type-of-guy. But I realize that's not what's winning these days. I feel there is a way to incorporate the old and the new. I just think not too many corps have tried to do that. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

I understand they aren't speaking English. That's not the problem. I can hear the voice, but the pronunciation is the problem. My opinion is coming from NightBEAT so take that for what it is. I'm just saying that clarity was an issue. Even when I know what they are supposed to be singing I couldn't make it out, and that's a problem. 

I'm not a big fan of voice and love how they've integrated the voice into the show. It's done very well. My only problem was the clarity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, East9900 said:

I was really using it tongue-in-cheek, but there is a tad bit of truth to it if things continue to take the path they are going. 

I view old school as anything that isn't the norm but used to be. Traditional uniforms are on their way to becoming "old school" in my opinion if the trend continues and that's only a few years ago, which is insane that it has evolved this suddenly.

I agree! As a former Cadet I can look back at any photo from decades past and know that was phantom, that was Madison etc... years from now people looking at old DCI photos from this new school costumes and scratch their head and try to figure out which Corps was that? Lastly, I cringe at Corps having brass members laying on their side playing with one hand while propping up head with other! There is no way you are giving member a chance to play properly! They seem to do things to just do them anymore. I personally don’t want to see half of brass lying and contortionist poses! I have talked to members of different current corps and most of the young brass players said they hate it....and surprisingly a lot of young people have told me they wish their corps could style the newer material and blend it with the old school Corps proper uniforms! One kid from Blue Devils told me , the shakos and plumes are just bad a$$! Sorry I know I am long here, but if any of you guys or girls want to see some younger DCI actually digging the older drum corps styles and traditions I stumbled upon a youtuber named Austin Armstrong. He marched it seems like last 3 years at Madison and aged out last year! On his channel at least once a week he puts up old school DCI vids and does a livestream for about an hour on how great DCI really was . Some of young people on the chat stream marched for big corps over past 5 years and most of them are blown away with 80’s Cadets drill or Phantom of late 80’s....it is quite interesting to see a lot of these young people’s comments are they do get the history and identity are leaving corps and most of them dislike it....Austin I know can’t stand the way DCI is going. He said in stream other night it is WGI on a field....thought you might enjoy to catch his streams and what young people are saying! He even takes requests of old shows...ha ha

Edited by J.Keith
  • Like 1