Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, One n Done said:

I will try not to sound argumentative, as that’s not my intention.

1.  Prop use-They aren’t going away.  Use them and incorporate them effectively.  To not do so will greatly hinder a unit scoring TODAY.  

2.  Guard integration.  It has been lacking for some time.  Too much BAND over here, GUARD over there in the staging.  Again, this won’t win friends and influence people TODAY.

3.  Improved non-conventional movement design and training.  This is also here to stay.  Again, the corps above the Cadets ALL exceed them in these areas.

I love marching and playing.  It is VERY hard to do well and also be musically effective.  With overall effect being king in what gets comp numbers TODAY, we see less risk and demand in the drill from the overwhelming majority of units.  The 2018 Cadets are at the opposite end of this trend.  By today’s standards, these kids are running.  While I feel a perverse sense of pride in this, I can also admit the uneven field this puts them on given evaluation trends currently in place.   I don’t like that kids hauling the mail isn’t being rewarded, but I can put aside my preferences to see this reality.  I don’t want to see the corps not run and gun.  I would like to see improvement in the areas mentioned above, as well as more calculated use of physically demanding drill.  If it’s HARD, it should be GREAT.  Even though I prefer “drill”, I see a bit too much of the former vs. the latter in this year’s program.  A program with portions that I like, but is also scoring where it should be.

I'm not debating that the use of props is going away, nor should they. Remember, Cadets used props back in 1995, 1996, 1999 (questionable),  and 2005. Now although the majority of those props they used were stationary, they still used them. I agree that the use of props has become more active, meaning corps are using them for more than just to provide a visual "set the scene" type of deal, but where in DCI does it say corps cannot use intricate, fast-paced drill AND use props? My belief that corps are choosing not to do that is based on what I'm seeing. I believe that a corps CAN use both props and great drill and incorporate it into the show. It just needs to be done well in order to receive credit in my opinion. I believe Cadets can do it with the right staff and the right type of show. Nothing is impossible. 

• Like 8

This has followed me since about the 7th grade (maybe earlier).
I am always reminded of it the last week of the drum corps season.

38489381_10213749667349870_7612673843890

Edited by njthundrrd
  • Like 4

Since reading about the Members and crew being sick again - I just wanted to say to all of you alumni and current members if ya read. Stay tough - you all are marching a great season and these types of bumps in the road happen. 

All us fans are rooting and pulling for you. 

I am so proud that you did not mail it in and have come out this season -working and marching as usual. 

All the best for Allentown and the following week. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

This has followed me since about the 7th grade (maybe earlier).
I am always reminded of it the last week of the drum corps season.

38489381_10213749667349870_7612673843890

Here's wishing the best possible for tonite, especially to the age-outs for their last Allentown, and to the ill who will try their best despite it all.

My prayers for a healthy last week are with you. It's been a great run.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2018 at 5:48 PM, 2000Cadet said:

but where in DCI does it say corps cannot use intricate, fast-paced drill AND use props? My belief that corps are choosing not to do that is based on what I'm seeing. I believe that a corps CAN use both props and great drill and incorporate it into the show. 

SCV, BD, and Bluecoats aren't moving around like Cadets 97 (or 9X) for 11 minutes, but they have moments just like you're describing. BAC is moving around a lot too, but they aren't integrating with tree props as much.

38512095_10213749694550550_1004452856075

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

SCV, BD, and Bluecoats aren't moving around like Cadets 97 (or 9X) for 11 minutes, but they have moments just like you're describing. BAC is moving around a lot too, but they aren't integrating with tree props as much.

Not exactly what I'm describing, and what I am talking about is Cadets crazy drill, not just running around. That's not to take anything away from either of those corps, but what I am saying is Cadets can modernize AND keep their identity at the same time. They're not mutually exclusive. 

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Not exactly what I'm describing, and what I am talking about is Cadets crazy drill, not just running around. That's not to take anything away from either of those corps, but what I am saying is Cadets can modernize AND keep their identity at the same time. They're not mutually exclusive. 

You should watch SCV, BD, and Bluecoats.

• Like 1

Some new stuff showing up tonight in the ballad and the guard. Watch for it. 

They also look like a 90 ish corps. Hoping they get that 9 tonight 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 6

41 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Some new stuff showing up tonight in the ballad and the guard. Watch for it. 

The also look like a 90 ish corps. Hoping they get that 9 tonight 

Go Cadets!

• Like 1