Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

members and staff are going to be so pumped now polishing the show and heading into Indy - something the Cadets haven't been able to feel the last several seasons where either they were making stupid last minute change (thanks but no thanks design genius) or their score was heading down, not up

loved that crowd reaction!!

Very true. The changes they have made this year have been so positive, creative, and just work.  They were very rough in Akron. I would have had them below Phantom and Crossmen that night, although putting them below Crossmen would have been a stretch. So much work needed to be done, and having been a Cadets fan for so long I was kind of pessimistic about the changes and I didn't care for the uniforms.  

I still do not care for the unis, mainly the pants, but this show has come so far.  I honestly can't remember the last time I witnessed a show take such leaps of improvement over the course of a season. The Cavaliers in 1989 come to mind, maybe Cadets 1992.  It is truly wonderful to see them -- even though I was not there last night -- performing so beautifully and capturing the crowd the way they do.  And that short video of the end of their show from last night is priceless. WOW!  Good to see a new beginning filled with old memories being put on the field in an elegant way. First class!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tim K said:

True, and maybe I’m a bit on the sentimental side, but last night, with so many family members in attendance, Cadets alums, fans of rivals such as Crown and BAC, all lending support, at a stadium where many heated battles and victories, dating back to when Cadets called Garfield home took place, not to mention a great exhibition by C2 and Cadets amazing performance, I would think last night will have a spot in the memory of all who performed last night.

Yup. No doubt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icer said:

Even with a show that was not as well constructed as this one, the crowd at finals last year had a huge reaction to the finale. You can find it on YouTube - probably the biggest response to a show that far out of contention that you will see, and it is because it was delivered with enormous emotion and energy by the members who believed in the show despite its shortcomings. This show is far better, and if delivered with the same intensity as the final run last year, will generate an even bigger response. 

I would like to say you can’t compare last year’s response to last night, but that would be speculation, however, last year the entire row in front of me all but sat on their hands. I should also mention I purchased my tickets through Cadets/YEA. My guess is that other things could have been at play, and the behind the scenes actions were not at play this year, but if those folks were in attendance last night, I’m sure their reaction was different. 

On a note not related to Cadets, there are some corps this year that do not have great shows but the kids are performing as best they can. The directors, staff, and designers are not on the field, the kids are. The designers and staff will have ample opportunity to get it right, for the kids marching, it may be their one moment. Besides getting up and applauding is good cardio and helps circulation, and yes the heart comments were prompted by a corps that is trying their best.

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I would like to say you can’t compare last year’s response to last night, but that would be speculation, however, last year the entire row in front of me all but sat on their hands. I should also mention I purchased my tickets through Cadets/YEA. My guess is that other things could have been at play, and the behind the scenes actions were not at play this year, but if those folks were in attendance last night, I’m sure their reaction was different. 

On a note not related to Cadets, there are some corps this year that do not have great shows but the kids are performing as best they can. The directors, staff, and designers are not on the field, the kids are. The designers and staff will have ample opportunity to get it right, for the kids marching, it may be their one moment. Besides getting up and applauding is good cardio and helps circulation, and yes the heart comments were prompted by a corps that is trying their best.

i was there last year and it was nothing like this

Even watching Cadets on Flo last night (and the feed quality for sound and video were both very good), it was clear that the Cadets came out to kick butt and take names. The drills were crisp and getting cleaner, the quality of brass sound seemed noticeably less gassed by the end, the battery gave Prosperie lots of good reads and overall, that was a run that was intense and impressive. All of this can help bring back the Cadets as a top destination corps. I'm looking forward to seeing how much refinement they can add for Indy...just wish they could do something about the uni...especially the pants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I wasn’t talking about last year in Allentown. I don’t remember much about that show.  But if you go on YouTube and search for Cadets 2017 Finals (from what I understand it’s against the rules of this forum to post links) and listen to the crowd, you will hear what I am talking about. Having been there in Indianapolis, it was heartwarming see 20,000 people on their feet cheering for so long independent of all of the hardships the corps was facing and all the negative publicity on social media (even before the sexual misconduct allegations).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

How dare they say drum corps isn't good for your health, even for the spectator lol...

I'm embarrassingly  late to the Cadet party, but....

I am SO knocked out with their show after the last 2 weeks, I finally dug into the source music.  And I'm doubly stunned after educating myself.  I didn't see this listed in this thread and I'm sure its old news to fans, but the lyrics and the program and everything are so inspiring that I have to share for those like me who don't know.  The show's meaning is pretty clear even without knowing the lyrics, but the text adds another layer.

I can't wait to see what the cadets do this week!  Everyone involved in that program must be so proud and excited!

¡Sensemayá, se murió!

The snake has glassy eyes,
The snake comes and coils around a stick,
with its glassy eyes, coiled around a stick,
with its glassy eyes.

The snake walks without legs,
The snake hides in the grass,
walking, it glides in the glass,
walking without legs.

Mayombe bombe, mayombe
mayombe bombe moyombe
mayombe bombe, mayombe.

you hit it with the ax and it dies
hit it now!
don't kick it for it will bite
don't kick it for it'll get away.

Sensemaya, the snake sensemaya
sensemaya with its eyes sensemaya
sensemaya with its tongue sensemaya
sensemaya with its mouth sensemaya.

dead snake cannot eat,
dead snake cannot hiss,
They cannot walk,
They cannot run.

dead snake cannot see,
dead snake cannot drink,
They cannot breathe
They cannot bite.

mayombe bombe mayombe
sensemaya the snake
mayombe bombe, mayombe
sensemaya does not move
mayombe bombe, mayombe
sensemaya the snake
mayombe bombe, mayombe
sensemaya, it is dead.

Ara Batur

You tried everything. Yes, a thousand times experienced enough, been through enough. But you it was who let everything into my heart and it was you who once again awoke my spirit.

I parted, you parted. You stir up emotions in a blender, everything in disarray.
But it was you who was always there for me, it was you who never judged.
My true friend.

I parted, you parted

You sail on rivers with an old oar, leaking badly
you swim to shore. Pushed the waves away but to no avail.
You float on the sea, sleep on the surface, my light through the fog

From Ballet Sacra:

Glory to God in the Highest
For You Alone are Holy
Grant Us Peace

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

It's just been so long since I've heard a crowd reaction LIKE THIS for the Cadets. I love the sight and sound of a crowd jumping to their feet before the last note!! GOOD JOB CADETS!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1