Cadets 2018

2 hours ago, Barneveld said:

xandandl -

I believe the response from Fran Haring accurately describes the feelings of most DCP'ers  and addresses your concerns (highlighted above) about the 2018 mm's.

Hey, I would not even go that far.  Not "rooting for a change in administration".  Not even taking a side.  Would not even be formally stating my neutrality, except for being accused of hatred and slander just for pointing out how YEA! once staffed a whole handful of corps all at once.

14 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Oh like out bid BD? I'm guessing you know the answer to that question 

$$$$. It certainly plays a role. 

As the great motivational speaker Zig Ziglar said: "Money isn't the most important thing in life, but it's reasonably close to oxygen on the 'gotta have it' scale." :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

2 hours ago, Barneveld said:

xandandl -

I believe the response from Fran Haring accurately describes the feelings of most DCP'ers  and addresses your concerns (highlighted above) about the 2018 mm's.

funny how you omitted the bandos and peripheries.

Just now, xandandl said:

funny how you omitted the bandos and peripheries.

Man... for the play it's getting, I should have trademarked that #### response!!! :8_laughing:

50 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Your derisive attitude towards the Cadets2 program (and DCA corps in general) is where the thoughtless negativity is found...

Realistic. Not derisive. Not in anyway. Though C2 won DCA two years ago was second last year, it's only realistic to understand that DCI is the big stage. 

By the way, plenty of Cadets vets (staff and members) on staff at C2. 

My point stands.

HH 

So, I’d like to see the Cadets go back to their corps (sic) strength of run and gun with difficulty in the music book. I think they learned the wrong lesson from 2015. That show was in first at the start of the year and then they’d made some regrettable changes around San Antonio that they then removed and lost ground. I feel they dropped due to over designing and tinkering as opposed to just cleaning. Sure, the 10 theme was shallow and kind of stupid, it would have played better without it but I felt that show was still competitive. Just not sure they have the drill designer to pull it off today, or the other captions.

I enjoyed last season’s show more live than watching the video after the season which means they did have GE built into it. But it was a bit sloppy in performance and a lot of the attempt at Nu-GE and visual pushed their strengths backfield or to the side again, it seems to be a balance issue. Emphasizing the wrong things at the expense of others to the point they lack sophistication and step on their own effect.

I haven’t been wowed by their show themes for a long time, so less theme and more Cadet, more demand

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, cowtown said:

So, I’d like to see the Cadets go back to their corps (sic) strength of run and gun with difficulty in the music book. I think they learned the wrong lesson from 2015. That show was in first at the start of the year and then they’d made some regrettable changes around San Antonio that they then removed and lost ground. I feel they dropped due to over designing and tinkering as opposed to just cleaning. Sure, the 10 theme was shallow and kind of stupid, it would have played better without it but I felt that show was still competitive. Just not sure they have the drill designer to pull it off today, or the other captions.

I enjoyed last season’s show more live than watching the video after the season which means they did have GE built into it. But it was a bit sloppy in performance and a lot of the attempt at Nu-GE and visual pushed their strengths backfield or to the side again, it seems to be a balance issue. Emphasizing the wrong things at the expense of others to the point they lack sophistication and step on their own effect.

I haven’t been wowed by their show themes for a long time, so less theme and more Cadet, more demand

The line I bolded... that seems to be a common theme for them for the last three seasons. Over-tinkering, perhaps over-thinking at times.

The 2011 show... a clearly-communicated concept, executed at a high level... classic Cadets, and a well-deserved victory.

The last few seasons, not as much... my opinion, of course.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, garfield said:

Are you telling me that you honestly understand this gibberish?  I stared at it for hours and it didn't make a bit of sense to me.

There's no doubt who wrote it, right?

i get it. took a few reads but i get

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

I agree this thread has gone off topic, but I would say a split thread is not the answer if it is going to be a spew more venom on George Hopkins. Critiques are one thing, especially where GH puts himself out there so much on social media, and in some cases the anger may be justified for those who love the Cadets and are concerned about what they see. When it comes to a board with more authority, business folks advising, and allowing the creative team to create, I agree, but some comments are pretty off base, and in a few cases I wonder if they know all that much about the director or corps.  This is not unique to the Cadets threat or DCP, it is what happens when we can comment anonymously on the Internet.

the problem is with this corps, the director and the corps are viewed as one and the same, and often because of what the director himself shares. and since USBands is a source of funds for the corps itself, conversations about that are relevant.