Cadets 2018

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

This thread is off to a fantastic start :guinesssmilie:

Things usually finish the way they start

On 8/14/2017 at 6:52 AM, jwillis35 said:

It's been done too much. Many folks are tired of it. There are Bernstein works that Cadets have never done. Slava!, Chichester Psalms, Peter Pan (believe it or not), On The Town (Cadets did a little of this, but there is a lot of material there), On The Waterfront (they did in 1986), Fancy Free Ballet, A Quiet Place, Divertimento, Candide (the Cadets have done the overture and Make our Garden Grow, but there is a lot of music in Candide). Wonderful Town, Fascimile, and more. I copied some others from Wiki and posted below. 

• Symphony No. 2, The Age of Anxiety, for piano and orchestra, 1949 (revised in 1965)
  • Serenade after Plato's "Symposium" for solo violin, strings, harp and percussion, 1954
  • Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs for solo clarinet and jazz ensemble, 1949
  • Symphonic Suite from "On the Waterfront", 1955
  • Symphonic Dances from "West Side Story", 1961
  • Symphony No. 3, Kaddish, for orchestra, mixed chorus, boys' choir, speaker and soprano solo, 1963 (revised in 1977)
  • Dybbuk, Suites No. 1 and 2 for Orchestra, concert premieres 1975

Thank you for this.

Assuming they stick with Bernstein next I see two design possibilities based on this year and Hops interview.  

Stay the course after Mass and go more production heavy with Candide.  Bring back the choir dress them up as farm animals and off to the races.  Get a soprano to sing Glitter and Be Gay as a full production number 

Other design choice would be the minimalist like SCV 1997...which is pretty much my favorite Bernstein show ever

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sideways said:

Assuming they stick with Bernstein next I see two design possibilities based on this year and Hops interview.  

Stay the course after Mass and go more production heavy with Candide.  Bring back the choir dress them up as farm animals and off to the races.  Get a soprano to sing Glitter and Be Gay as a full production number 

Other design choice would be the minimalist like SCV 1997...which is pretty much my favorite Bernstein show ever

If they do Candide, they can borrow that great BAC closing prop and  use it while playing "Auto-da-fe".    

Zichy_Mih%C3%A1ly_Autodaf%C3%A9.jpg

b44534310061ce4bc88b80fcbf06d198.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 5:50 PM, cadet93 said:

I heard Cadets and Crown are merging in an attempt to out maneuver BAC...

And then like the banking community, they'll swoop in and take over all the little corps until they dominate the activity..mark my words THIS!

9 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Things usually finish the way they start

lion-king.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/14/2017 at 6:52 AM, jwillis35 said:

It's been done too much. Many folks are tired of it. There are Bernstein works that Cadets have never done. Slava!, Chichester Psalms, Peter Pan (believe it or not), On The Town (Cadets did a little of this, but there is a lot of material there), On The Waterfront (they did in 1986), Fancy Free Ballet, A Quiet Place, Divertimento, Candide (the Cadets have done the overture and Make our Garden Grow, but there is a lot of music in Candide). Wonderful Town, Fascimile, and more. I copied some others from Wiki and posted below. 

• Symphony No. 2, The Age of Anxiety, for piano and orchestra, 1949 (revised in 1965)
  • Serenade after Plato's "Symposium" for solo violin, strings, harp and percussion, 1954
  • Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs for solo clarinet and jazz ensemble, 1949
  • Symphonic Suite from "On the Waterfront", 1955
  • Symphonic Dances from "West Side Story", 1961
  • Symphony No. 3, Kaddish, for orchestra, mixed chorus, boys' choir, speaker and soprano solo, 1963 (revised in 1977)
  • Dybbuk, Suites No. 1 and 2 for Orchestra, concert premieres 1975

Cadets did Prelude Fugue and Riffs in 1991. It was the best part of an underrated show in a very strong field of competition.

• Like 1

One of the upcoming realities of the upcoming season is when the Cadets will tend to compete.  

They are now in the 7th to 9th rotation of competition order with Phantom and BK.  So, in competitions where there are top 6 corps, they'll always go on earlier.  Of course, this would change in competitions that have full randomization (TOC*) and when they eventually get seeded for the Regionals based on their scores.

For hardcore Cadets fans who always skipped the lower corps and showed up later for competitions, they'll have to get accustomed to arriving earlier.

* I believe TOC shows do complete randomization, but someone will have to confirm that.

13 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

One of the upcoming realities of the upcoming season is when the Cadets will tend to compete.  

They are now in the 7th to 9th rotation of competition order with Phantom and BK.  So, in competitions where there are top 6 corps, they'll always go on earlier.  Of course, this would change in competitions that have full randomization (TOC*) and when they eventually get seeded for the Regionals based on their scores.

For hardcore Cadets fans who always skipped the lower corps and showed up later for competitions, they'll have to get accustomed to arriving earlier.

* I believe TOC shows do complete randomization, but someone will have to confirm that.

yes - but it doesn't impact them as much as other corps (as you mention) due to their TOC status

Non-regional, non-TOC shows they will appear earlier, sometimes prior to intermission

The first big regional (SAT) will help them seed later in the following regionals next year IF they do better

As you mention the TOC shows are random - so everyone takes their turn going first and last etc

Finally - home shows (they sponsor several) the host get to go last

So - it impacts about a third of the shows -- subtracting TOC, regionals, home shows - they will have to go earlier

It is not a good thing!