Recommended Posts

I am all for the On the Waterfront show.  And, interestingly enough, if they were to want to use props, I would recommend they steal the Mandarins short platforms that they used when they did On the Waterfront back in the '90s.  Some cool moments with guard running across them.   And they were mobile, so not something that would block off a whole part of the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just think how fresh some boxing-style body movement would look on the field. Those 86 boxing rings were great!

And yet "On the Waterfront" does not have a single boxing scene, nor is it in any way truly about boxing, other than as a previous facet of Brando's character.  I don't see why any allusion to boxing would be necessary in a show based upon that music (which is the music I've been recommending since they announced the Bernstein deal).

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eleran said:

And yet "On the Waterfront" does not have a single boxing scene, nor is it in any way truly about boxing, other than as a previous facet of Brando's character.  I don't see why any allusion to boxing would be necessary in a show based upon that music (which is the music I've been recommending since they announced the Bernstein deal).

Fair enough!  You're right, it would not be necessary.  Though it would be a more kick-### look for bodywork besides the typical wiggling, thrusting, and bug stomping... and somewhat relevant to the show. I'd be thrilled to death with only the music and a more thorough treatment than 1986. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Just think how fresh some boxing-style body movement would look on the field. Those 86 boxing rings were great!

We had our share of mishaps with them, lots of lost shakos. I remember we were in montreal and it was pouring. The rings got soaked, and were hanging low, we lost a lot of shakos that day LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, oldcadetsop said:

We had our share of mishaps with them, lots of lost shakos. I remember we were in montreal and it was pouring. The rings got soaked, and were hanging low, we lost a lot of shakos that day LOL

They created such a cool effect. Surprised they weren't copied more

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so we're clear, y'all do know that that whole movie was basically Elia Kazan's way of saying "sorry not sorry" for naming names in front of HUAC, right?

I'm not saying that doing it is a bad thing...but going all in on it seems a bit...odd.

(Great, great movie, though.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps Cadets could do OTW as a metaphor for the bullying control/influence exerted by the judges/electronics/uniform/WGI crowd, to which the brass and percussion lines stand up to at the end, forcibly ripping down the speakers & props and throwing them into the Hudson River.

Just a thought.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, oldcadetsop said:

John is awesome 

was sadly. he passed away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.