Cadets 2018

4 hours ago, Liahona said:

edit: I just realized that I had Sean King mixed up with someone else at yea. my bad.

Sorry about that.

Disregard my post

Illegal substitution, 5 yard penalty, loss of down.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Eleran said:

When I dropped off my son last night he had that special smile he gets whenever he's at camp - he's in his element.  And I haven't received a text response from him since things started, so it seems like business as usual so far with the members focused on what they are there to do.  I'll know more tomorrow at ensemble, but am confident that things will be great.

That’s awesome to hear!  As I’ve thought about this, there is an awful lot of inertia by this point in a season - lots of moving parts already in motion. I suspect that aside from maybe a group discussion, it will be work as usual for the kids and staff. 

I’ve heard a description of another activity that kind of fits this one:  A drum corps is like an aircraft carrier. It takes a mile to change directions, and everyone knows when you pull into town. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eleran said:

When I dropped off my son last night he had that special smile he gets whenever he's at camp - he's in his element.  And I haven't received a text response from him since things started, so it seems like business as usual so far with the members focused on what they are there to do.  I'll know more tomorrow at ensemble, but am confident that things will be great.

Wishing him a GREAT season! 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

Now that Mr. Hopkins has stepped down, I was thinking about their show theme this year.  

In the other thread, it was mentioned that this show theme is terribly inappropriate considering what was going on... 

But, the more I think about, the emotional weight of the situation coupled with a resounding conscious rejection of the concept explored in the title... this show could be the vehicle that the organization uses to heal and move on from this.   

Unless the show is very explicitly about sexual harassment and the failure to report--and I see no point in holding that wound open--the title must change. And probably the should take "The Sounds of Silence" out of this year's repertoire. Two corps did a nice job with that song last summer it doesn't need to be done now. Pick something else.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Unless the show is very explicitly about sexual harassment and the failure to report--and I see no point in holding that wound open--the title must change. And probably the should take "The Sounds of Silence" out of this year's repertoire. Two corps did a nice job with that song last summer it doesn't need to be done now. Pick something else.

I agree... the optics would improve.  I just read the lyrics of the Sounds of Silence... yeah, there's no hope there.  It would be a good idea to change it out.  

4 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I can definitely see the show title changing (even the former director said 2 months ago that it was a working title and thus was subject to change), but at this point it might be too late to cut Sound of Silence from the show considering it's such a critical part of the show and that the corps has been rehearsing it for the past several months.

Crazier show changes have happened, though (sometimes to eventual success), so we'll see.

I personally think the show can be adapted to make the conversation about THIS conversation and the silence is certainly a part of this story imho 

• Like 7