Cadets 2018

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it's too funny - either he is just being positive and not giving them true feedback or the numbers are wrong. When mistakes are made or greatness isn't achieved it's ok to point it out. Judges tapes are crazy to listen to sometimes.

Though some judges feel that the last comments when they judge a corps for the season always have to be unicorns and stardust as if they won't be hired the next year.

But we all know that is not the standard used.  Or is it?

The new Artistic Director, caption head, and chief judge will have to work on this faux communication style over the winter. Points on tape and points on sheet should match otherwise it is all pointless.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Though some judges feel that the last comments when they judge a corps for the season always have to be unicorns and stardust as if they won't be hired the next year.

But we all know that is not the standard used.  Or is it?

The new Artistic Director, caption head, and chief judge will have to work on this faux communication style over the winter. Points on tape and points on sheet should match otherwise it is all pointless.

Agreed. Have to offer compliments and constructive comments so it all makes sense and helps the growth 

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

it's too funny - either he is just being positive and not giving them true feedback or the numbers are wrong. When mistakes are made or greatness isn't achieved it's ok to point it out. Judges tapes are crazy to listen to sometimes.

Have you listened to the other 11 tapes?  How does that commentary compare?  

(This may be a question best suited for a new thread.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HbRJgdZHsbc said:

Mostly all positive as well on the other two tapes the two I've heard from that night... my point is frame the score in your comments. If cadets were 8th place level then the comments should better reflect that reality 

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Mostly all positive as well on the other two tapes the two I've heard from that night... my point is frame the score in your comments. If cadets were 8th place level then the comments should better reflect that reality 

Mostly positive comments and a score well into Box 5 - looks solid.  

The comments reflect achievement, not placement.  If you want to understand how they compared to the other drum corps and why there were 7 teams better and many teams worse you should listen to the tapes from the other corps.  You cannot derive placement from vocabulary on a single commentary file.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, HbRJgdZHsbc said:

Mostly positive comments and a score well into Box 5 - looks solid.  

The comments reflect achievement, not placement.  If you want to understand how they compared to the other drum corps and why there were 7 teams better and many teams worse you should listen to the tapes from the other corps.  You cannot derive placement from vocabulary on a single commentary file.  

I listened to 3. You're misunderstanding my post. Totally agree Cadets had a box 5 Percussion section in a strong year with others better. I didn't comment on placement at all other than to say if a judge is putting 7 others ahead some commentary as to why is helpful and needed 

• Like 1

The sad thing is woodwinds were allowed into I&E, and many corps fail to encourage participation in it. Dumb...

2 hours ago, HbRJgdZHsbc said:

we are able to hear Crown's tape by him for semis. More of the same but they had higher numbers.

Good idea for a thread. We just have to be careful with DCP policy about "attacking anyone" and who knows if lawyers are lurking. You know how they are, right Eleran and WhiteDawn?

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I listened to 3. You're misunderstanding my post. Totally agree Cadets had a box 5 Percussion section in a strong year with others better. I didn't comment on placement at all other than to say if a judge is putting 7 others ahead some commentary as to why is helpful and needed 

I understand your post.  You want a comparison among competitors.  You want to understand why something happened.  Your motivation seems to be that the results aren't as you assessed, so you're interested in what you missed or misread.  These are all logical thoughts.  But the time and place for discussing comparisons is critique.  To compare a performance to other competitors on any given night or through a season is outside the role of commentary durning adjudication.  

Commentary files credit achievements within a given caption and contain a sampling of the adjudicator's process.  They are not to include comparisons to other competitors.  Similarly, they cannot be comprehensive to the process.  The question you ask, "[why is] a judge putting 7 others ahead," is not meant to be answered on a single tape.  It is possible to find some evidence through an analysis of all tapes on that night, but still there are plenty of characteristics the judge would have internalized through his process.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I disagree.  He could be VERY positive because the Cadets are doing all these great things BUT there are 7 other battery sections/FE's doing just as many or more great things ahead of them. Did you think perhaps there weren't mistakes as you've pointed out.  Did you ever think that perhaps the Cadets battery was actually great...BUT just due to the stiff competition they came in 8th?

I'm not a percussionist, but this is my take on it.

• Like 1