Cadets 2018

7 hours ago, HbRJgdZHsbc said:

Well, you said, "if a judge is putting 7 others ahead some commentary as to why is helpful and needed."

There's no snark there.  Just keeping things in the order they happened.  Don't jump too quickly to assign motives. (Now that last one was snarky, but I learned it from you. :21_kissing_closed_eyes:)

I agree with all of this.  This makes total sense.  There is one interpretation I'm applying in my reading, though.  Feel free to respond if I misunderstood this point:

• In my reading, "competitive result" is the same as score (i.e. rating).
  • If the intent were that "competitive result" includes a justification of ranking, I would disagree with those two words only.  But that's not the way I read it.

Finally, sorry to be exhausting.  I'm seeking to understand and to be understood.  Discussion forums are hardly the pinnacle of communication clarity, but this is why we can go back and forth for a while.  Thank you for your passion and time answering these questions and engaging these discussions.  

The point is and has been if you get 8th the feedback comments shouldn't be 100% glowing but offer a good balance of context, opportunity and compliments.

There's no need to "compare corps" in the comments, instead offer the staff and members some context in how they could improve

that's as succinctly as I can put it

even the corps on first should get one or two "watch those rolls, a little fuzzy" type comments

37 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

The point is and has been if you get 8th the feedback comments shouldn't be 100% glowing but offer a good balance of context, opportunity and compliments.

There's no need to "compare corps" in the comments, instead offer the staff and members some context in how they could improve

that's as succinctly as I can put it

even the corps on first should get one or two "watch those rolls, a little fuzzy" type comments

I can understand this criticism for judging tapes earlier in the season, but for championship week tapes? I don't really see the point. The corps have been getting advice the whole season and if those rolls haven't been clean all season, I'm not sure they will get clean in another 1-2 days, let alone on finals night where it doesn't even matter anymore. 

Comments regarding the design of the show/book itself I understand and Prosperie touched on that for Crown in his finals tape for them 

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I can understand this criticism for judging tapes earlier in the season, but for championship week tapes? I don't really see the point. The corps have been getting advice the whole season and if those rolls haven't been clean all season, I'm not sure they will get clean in another 1-2 days, let alone on finals night where it doesn't even matter anymore. 

Comments regarding the design of the show/book itself I understand and Prosperie touched on that for Crown in his finals tape for them 

Yeah...this seems to me to be less a judging-as-a-whole thing, and more a specific-judge type thing. I have no doubt that Prosperie's tape has some insights that this one doesn't, necessarily.

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

I've never been so exhausted by a single post. Debating over nothing. 

It's like people either read into things never typed or debate just for the sake of debating

if you guys think that an entire tape filled with wow wow wow is worthwhile then great. I say if that's what we get then forget the tape and just assign a score

probabaly I'm too old school to thrive on great great wow wow terrific and outstanding 

thats probably the case!

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I've never been so exhausted by a single post. Debating over nothing. 

It's like people either read into things never typed or debate just for the sake of debating

if you guys think that an entire tape filled with wow wow wow is worthwhile then great. I say if that's what we get then forget the tape and just assign a score

probabaly I'm too old school to thrive on great great wow wow terrific and outstanding 

thats probably the case!

If you get this exasperated by discussion on a discussion forum, I think it's time to take a break. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2017 at 4:20 PM, George Dixon said:

semi finals field drum judge tape

good tape by a great judge, numbers match the commentary. Having only heard one other tape from that night, one can't #### and moan. the top 10 drumlines were all outstanding, and really, what is the guy going to say at semis that is going to create a huge for a team with one show to go?

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Judges tapes would be critical for improvement earlier in the season, no question. However, at DCI judges tapes would be critical too. Judges tapes give insights as to what judges are thinking and in theory justify scores. Also, there is always next year. Unless a corps is going to have 100% turnover of staff and marching members, what worked and did not work in a past year's show could be crucial for the following year.

I knew there have been tapes where a judge has a love fest and affirm-a-thon  with the corps and butchers them on the sheets and cases where the corps has been criticized for crazy things and wins captions, but knowing what a judge is thinking in real time is always important.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

good tape by a great judge, numbers match the commentary. Having only heard one other tape from that night, one can't #### and moan. the top 10 drumlines were all outstanding, and really, what is the guy going to say at semis that is going to create a huge for a team with one show to go?

No, the numbers do not make sense based on his commentary. I don't care how great the judge is or the fact that there is only one show to go. Either his comments were fluff or the numbers were meaningless. Period!

9 minutes ago, dans said:

No, the numbers do not make sense based on his commentary. I don't care how great the judge is or the fact that there is only one show to go. Either his comments were fluff or the numbers were meaningless. Period!

I think you'd have to listen to all the tapes before making that statement. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

I think you'd have to listen to all the tapes before making that statement. 

I disagree...but that's OK. There had to be some downside for the Cadets to take 8th in percussion. Their tape does not speak of any real downside to their performance.

• Like 1