Cadets 2018

20 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Yes.

Hope they were all able to get some sleep on the bus, because a 7:45 wake up call meant only 2.5 hours of floor time, if that.

The ole Cadets' legacy corps had to endure many such long overnights and after in the buses BITD and the buses weren't air-conditioned then. I am especially remembering when championships were in Denver in the '70's  and later in championship years when DCI sent Garfield every which way until DCI finally accepted that someone other than from the Midwest or California had won.  Had the Cadets done the pre-announced Northwestern tour leading into DATR and after,  many such "long rides" would have been in the offering. Are we getting soft?

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Might depend how long he's under contract with the SCV. 

Pretty sure Gaines is under contract to be the creative director for the entire Vanguard organization. Doubt he'd leave that for Allentown. And, like George said, not a great fit stylistically.

Something I could plausibly see, though, is them deciding to stick with him as the writer after this year (instead of Weber coming back). That might push Weber to look elsewhere...say, a corps just down the road from him that he happened to march with (and be drum major for)...and I could see the organization wanting to bring him back into the fold.

That would free Hinshaw to go wherever he wanted, whether that was Allentown, or to join the music staff he works with at Avon in Carolina (which would then free Sacktig up to go wherever he wanted...).

Too many dominoes involved? Yes. Not completely implausible? Also yes.

Edited by ftwdrummer

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

Pretty sure Gaines is under contract to be the creative director for the entire Vanguard organization. Doubt he'd leave that for Allentown. And, like George said, not a great fit stylistically.

Something I could plausibly see, though, is them deciding to stick with him as the writer after this year (instead of Weber coming back). That might push Weber to look elsewhere...say, a corps just down the road from him that he happened to march with (and be drum major for)...and I could see the organization wanting to bring him back into the fold.

That would free Hinshaw to go wherever he wanted, whether that was Allentown, or to join the music staff he works with at Avon in Carolina (which would then free Sacktig up to go wherever he wanted...).

Too many dominoes involved? Yes. Not completely implausible? Also yes.

Plus being stationed in California (atleast for part of the year) compared to Pennsylvania is pretty nice :thumbs-up: 

Edited by Cappybara

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I disagree with this sentiment in the strongest possible manner. He was (and remains) a  narcissist - it was and remains ALL ABOUT HIM.  It's all about the kids was his "cover story" - 

He was also a horrific leader, had bad taste, extremely poor judgement AND let's not forget, allegedly a sexual predator who fostered a hostile (at best) work environment  & couldn't build and manage a  revenue stream to save his life. He also drove off countless volunteers, alumni , donors & staff.  I personally gave less and less over the past decade, shifting  from direct giving to membership sponsoring  - due to his behavior and decision making. Until in 2017 I gave ZERO. Most of us were gone by that point.  

He was resting on the strength of the Cadets 3-peat to continue to draw staff and membership for decades, and the more distant memory the "Cadet revolution" became, the less frequent the championships, the hard this became. That resulted in 2016 & 2017.  Then #metoo empowered people to speak up

Unfortunately it wasn't  "his" vision or talent that gave them that 3-peat - it was Zingali, Prime, Twiggs, the members etc... He long forgot that.  And frankly I think a lot of us forgot that too.

Do not erase him from conversation or discussion. Let's keep it fresh and in mind as we go forward - VERY important we do.

Cadets 2018 are a massive breath of fresh air - not just in programming and performance - but especially in the  sense that "anything and everything" is possible during 2018 and beyond. All because the narcissist who claimed it was "all about the kids" was called out and driven out. 

You raise excellent points, and I think many who know Cadets inside out, agree with you. 

Regarding the “all about the kids” folks, when I was teaching, “Cosby” and “A Different World” were top rated shows and I often encouraged my students to watch both shows. Bill Cosby delivered a positive message. One episode had Cliff making a special barbecue sauce that made people fall in love. At the time, it was funny. It was featured in a YouTube video clip a few weeks ago. Now it has to be one of the creepiest things I’ve seen in a while. The women who came forward in that case changed things. I think the same thing happen for some when actual victims came forward with the former Cadets director. It did change everything. Some said there were rumors for years, but now rumors were accusations. 

I don’t think he should be “erased” from conversation. That sweeping things under the carpet. If he is pertenant to a conversation about prevention or healing, absolutely keep him in the conversation, but remember, if he is a narcissist, he may be getting some joy in knowing he’s still in the conversation. 

• Like 3

On 7/11/2018 at 7:44 AM, 2000Cadet said:

Uhhh, so it looks like Cadets could get beat by Mandarins. How crazy is THAT?

Well.... not too crazy. Mandarins have been carefully progressing upwards for maybe close to a decade and not had any real stalls/backups.

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I don’t think he should be “erased” from conversation. That sweeping things under the carpet. If he is pertenant to a conversation about prevention or healing, absolutely keep him in the conversation

Yes! My personal concern is a modern tendency to stuff evil or difficult to talk about things right down the Orwellian Memory Hole, which has allowed a lot of things to happen later that were very preventable.

• Like 2