Cadets 2018

3 hours ago, BigW said:

Yes! My personal concern is a modern tendency to stuff evil or difficult to talk about things right down the Orwellian Memory Hole, which has allowed a lot of things to happen later that were very preventable.

You've got that right... :shutup:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ediker said:

It's not a joke.  BFJ was a character in last year's show

That explains it. The show was forgettable to me.

1 hour ago, FTNK said:

You did defend him and a lot of his decisions pretty vociferously (until the sex abuse scandal broke)

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

So did I, which is why I feel so stupid now.

For what it's worth, I thought he was a pri*k the entire time 

(I'm only half kidding)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

For what it's worth, I thought he was a pri*k the entire time 

(I'm only half kidding)

Yup - you got it quicker than most of us!

28 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Can someone explain to me this joke that I do not get?

BFJ is s fictional characterization which combines the back flip gold shorts character that defeated “Adonis” in the 2016 show with the Jesus in the 2017 show. The same member played both. The Jesus character never actually back flipped however they were both uniquely bad ideas. The member himself was great. 

The creative ideas were horrific, so I combined them and coined the term backflip Jesus 

the rest is history 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, FTNK said:

You did defend him and a lot of his decisions pretty vociferously (until the sex abuse scandal broke)

32 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

So did I, which is why I feel so stupid now.

To be fair, lots of people defended the former director until allegations became public.. For many, the uniform change in the middle of the 2015 was the beginning of the end. I know for many it was more than a bad design decision, it was "the flying fickle finger of fate" for all of the past that was the Cadets. The challenges of 2016 increased the divide, and 2017 was the last straw. What I did notice is that there was an emphasis defending those who were marching against attacks but little defense of the decision maker. When the allegations surfaced, then he lost all support.

Having seen similar situations occur in different settings, this is normal. Predators do not go around with signs saying "I am a creep" and in most cases, predators can be shining stars. Some people found guilty of these crimes are believed to be the best teachers, coaches, clergy people, scout leaders, etc. They are also trusted.  Also, these kinds of crimes do make people rethink things and can be a missing puzzle piece. However, I will say I DON'T THINK ANYONE DEFENDS HIM, APOLOGIZES FOR HIM, OR MAKES EXCUSES FOR HIM ON DCP. We may have different opinions on how to address these issues, 

I'd also ask another consideration from some posters who have closer connections to Cadets than many of us do. Many of us who have not marched with Cadets, or never taught or volunteered under GH, still love the Cadets, even if our first loyalties are to another corps. You can still love BAC, Crown, or Bloo and love Cadets. We may know repertoires and scores. We may have thoughts. Yes we may have thought he was eccentric, especially if we saw a FB rant or watched a rehearsal, but so are lots of folks in the arts. We may have heard rumors about finances and mismanagement, but so much spread about the man after G7, it was not always easy to determine what is true and what is false. Most of us have never sat on the YEA Board, we were not given "not for public" information from staff, and we certainly had no more than a hello or handshake from the man himself. Many of you feel as angry or betrayed, and given your love and support of Cadets, you were betrayed, especially if you trusted and supported the man. However, there may be ridiculous comments from time to time, and there can be varying opinions, but some of us who share things know this is not an isolated situation and happens far to often in our world. We may have input which may be of value, or perhaps not, but we are not defending the former director if we see things differently unless we are saying we do not believe the allegations, which I have yet to see. We may offer suggestions, but many of us are educators, either current or former, members of the clergy, social workers, medical professionals, or in law enforcement. What we say we may know from outside experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I will say that I did respect the way he handled a situation in Dallas.  There was a driver who was apparently driving during the show.  He did not allow that person to continue on.  He talked to the guy and he left and never did come back on tour.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dcikon2 said:

I will say that I did respect the way he handled a situation in Dallas.  There was a driver who was apparently driving during the show.  He did not allow that person to continue on.  He talked to the guy and he left and never did come back on tour.  

The problem was for every story like this, there are two more about him going ####### crazy on someone in the admin staff when something went wrong.  In front of everyone.  Things are bound to happen with the amount of people and stuff you’re moving down the road.

I’ll bet yesterday was handled quite differently.  In an adult and professional manner. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

The problem was for every story like this, there are two more about him going ####### crazy on someone in the admin staff when something went wrong.

I totally agree with you here.  I want to say something, but probably should keep my mouth shut.

• Like 1