Cadets 2018

7 hours ago, Icer said:

I can tell you with near 100% certainty that GH did this sort of thing believing he was cutting edge.  He really didn’t obsess over whether they came in 1st, but he always wanted to be competitive. So when something didn’t work out he was genuinely surprised and bummed, but he believed it was a risk worth taking.  I don’t have a problem with that to a point. Innovation is great. On the other hand... It’s a bit of a shame not to give the members the best chance to succeed, because they don’t have 40 bites at the apple. So if you flail with the design you are writing off a whole season. 

He had no taste. Period. The guy had no business designing shows. Zero. None. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chris ncsu said:

2nd year in a row where Cadets' brass is way down there in scoring, but good to see percussion doing better.

Is it a young line this year?  Haven't seen them so I don't know.

Just nice to see the corps on the field and reasonably competitive this summer.  Better things to come in '19 and beyond, I would think.

7 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Is it a young line this year?  Haven't seen them so I don't know.

Just nice to see the corps on the field and reasonably competitive this summer.  Better things to come in '19 and beyond, I would think.

Last year was young, but I though this year was fairly veteran. Granted, these are the first two years of a new brass caption head -- but Drew's not green, so....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, George Dixon said:

So well said. Bravo! 

2012 was a tough one for the team to swallow, then the 13 show when he forced the soft blah ending and the circus color scheme. 2014 as you put so eloquently was another wasted opportunity in the biggest way. The original design was a gold show. Then we get Oprah banners. So sad. 

I for one really really enjoy 2012. One of my all time favorites, cheese and all

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I agree, although I feel the end was what GH forced the design team to put into the end of the 2014 show. 

I was always under the impression that GH was the design team in that he always had the last say, regardless of what the Cadets website said about who was on the design team

1 hour ago, chris ncsu said:

2nd year in a row where Cadets' brass is way down there in scoring, but good to see percussion doing better.

I like the brass this year. Much prefer it to Gino’s sound which personnally I rarely enjoyed, 2013 and 2015 were exceptions 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris ncsu said:

Last year was young, but I though this year was fairly veteran. Granted, these are the first two years of a new brass caption head -- but Drew's not green, so....

A more experienced line but still not the experience/talent of other top six imo

we also have to remember the caption head changed mid winter so...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

A more experienced line but still not the experience/talent of other top six imo

we also have to remember the caption head changed mid winter so...

I'm probably getting my terminology wrong. I thought Drew was the "caption head", but he's the "arranger/caption supervisor".  Who was the previous caption head?

14 hours ago, George Dixon said:

The Cadets are so blessed to have this young lady be the opening soloist, the horn sgt., the team leader and the mm spokesperson for the corps this year. Her parents should pen a book about how one grows such maturity in a child who blossoms on so many levels and still is quite the normal young adult who makes touring a lot of fun. I'm sure school districts will soon be lining up to have this young lady on faculty. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

He had no taste. Period. The guy had no business designing shows. Zero. None. 

The Cadets had success in spite of him. He wasn’t very good at anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1