Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, chris ncsu said:

For me, Gino's 2001, 2007, 2013, and 2015 lines were high water marks. 2005 was impeccable, too, but there was a richness and power that these other lines had more of I thought...  HM 2011.

I honestly enjoyed their sound from 2011-2013, as well as 2007. There was a good amount of power in those lines

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eleran said:

I think "Supervisor" just means that Drew is the ultimate man in charge of the brass from top to bottom, including the caption head, section techs, etc. - as opposed to just arranging the music then letting the Corps Director choose and direct the Brass staff.   But Brandon handles the traditional caption head work (though Drew often steps in as well - he's very hands on).  I don't know when Brandon formally was given the title, but I believe he was doing the same work since fairly early in the camp schedule.  I haven't discussed it with my son in quite a while, though, so I could be remembering wrong.

Thanks. I really like the sound of this years Cadets brass. 

2 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

The Cadets had success in spite of him. He wasn’t very good at anything. 

Being relentless can get you pretty far. And if GH was anything he was relentless. Unfortunately he was often relentlessly pushing bad ideas. 

• Haha 2

As much as I loved the black uniforms, I still chuckle at thought of Hopkins sitting at his desk while designing the show and thinking

"Hmm so what should we do for Cadets 2015... I only have 10 days before I need to propose a design... wait 10? Let's do a show about the number 10! Everything on the field can be 10 and we'll even use Neon because it's the 10th element! And you know what's going to make that neon pop and those judge's pants wet? Black uniforms! I'm a genius" 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Uhh I much prefer Gino to what they have now. Gino's brass lines are fantastic. Listen to Boston now. Proof that Gino hasn't lost his touch. I would love for Gino to go back to Cadets; obviously, THAT'S not happening. If you've marched under one of his hornlines, you'd understand his passion and why he has this personality to make a hornline WANT to be great. 

I tend to agree, I would have preferred a better low-end sound than what the Cadets sometimes had in the more recent past.  I don't think that was a knock on Gino, because he wasn't writing the stuff.  The arrangements were by Jay Bocook.  I loved Jay's writing style, but not always the prominance of the high end.  Gino is a great guy.  Jay is a great guy.  

I really enjoy Drew's arrangements this year.  Despite the fact that they have a much more veteran brass line, their prior experience was mostly from last year.  Let's face it - last year, brass was not the focus.  I have said it before, but anyone who experiences Drew's demeanor and approach would be ecstatic to be part of that.  

During the Gino years, the member talent was at a high.  This year is going to go a long way towards rebuilding that.  It's an exciting time!  They aren't quite there yet, but they WILL be!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

As much as I loved the black uniforms, I still chuckle at thought of Hopkins sitting at his desk while designing the show and thinking

"Hmm so what should we do for Cadets 2015... I only have 10 days before I need to propose a design... wait 10? Let's do a show about the number 10! Everything on the field can be 10 and we'll even use Neon because it's the 10th element! And you know what's going to make that neon pop and those judge's pants wet? Black uniforms! I'm a genius" 

It was the small minded belief that the classic Cadets M&G was “the problem”

reinforced by the fact that the last two championships had come in 2005 (with the alteration of the back of the uniform) and 2011 (with the dual color scheme for angels and demons) 

i believe Hopkins felt that the unaltered uniforms cost them a championship in 2007 and 2013 so 2014 they did the cumberbunds and 2015 the color change 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Tommeee said:

I tend to agree, I would have preferred a better low-end sound than what the Cadets sometimes had in the more recent past.  I don't think that was a knock on Gino, because he wasn't writing the stuff.  The arrangements were by Jay Bocook.  I loved Jay's writing style, but not always the prominance of the high end.  Gino is a great guy.  Jay is a great guy.  

I really enjoy Drew's arrangements this year.  Despite the fact that they have a much more veteran brass line, their prior experience was mostly from last year.  Let's face it - last year, brass was not the focus.  I have said it before, but anyone who experiences Drew's demeanor and approach would be ecstatic to be part of that.  

During the Gino years, the member talent was at a high.  This year is going to go a long way towards rebuilding that.  It's an exciting time!  They aren't quite there yet, but they WILL be!

It really was bizarre to me how different Bocook's arrangements for Blue Knights were compared to the Cadets. I felt that for the most part, the music he wrote for the Blue Knights had a better overall balance and less predictable-sounding arrangements. At a certain point, the stuff he was writing for the Cadets started to all sound the same, and not in a good way. 

I think that Drew is going to be good for the Cadets

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

It was the small minded belief that the classic Cadets M&G was “the problem”

reinforced by the fact that the last two championships had come in 2005 (with the alteration of the back of the uniform) and 2011 (with the dual color scheme for angels and demons) 

i believe Hopkins felt that the unaltered uniforms cost them a championship in 2007 and 2013 so 2014 they did the cumberbunds and 2015 the color change 

To be fair, if BD wasn't so good in 2014, they would've been a contender that year. In 2015 they WERE a contender until the show lost all clarity once the black uniforms were implemented

At the same time, it's asinine for him to think that the effect achieved by those 2011 uniforms would be the same thing as a cummerbund or color change. Oh well. 

1 hour ago, 2000Cadet said:

Uhh I much prefer Gino to what they have now. Gino's brass lines are fantastic. Listen to Boston now. Proof that Gino hasn't lost his touch. I would love for Gino to go back to Cadets; obviously, THAT'S not happening. If you've marched under one of his hornlines, you'd understand his passion and why he has this personality to make a hornline WANT to be great. 

To be fair, he did have a hand in coming up with their more successful shows. 

I agree, I'll take a Gino's brass line over what they have now and would love to see him go back to the Cadets. Cadets had some pretty strong brass lines when he was there.

• Like 2

Just now, ndrudy2013 said:

I agree, I'll take a Gino's brass line over what they have now and would love to see him go back to the Cadets. Cadets had some pretty strong brass lines when he was there.

let's let them get thru the season. - a month left!

JMO.  As far aa tone and warmth - I prefer this. As far as "power" - the Gino lines clearly win. And so far same with the scoring - Gino's lines were consistently well scored 

• Like 2