Cadets 2018

53 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It really was bizarre to me how different Bocook's arrangements for Blue Knights were compared to the Cadets. I felt that for the most part, the music he wrote for the Blue Knights had a better overall balance and less predictable-sounding arrangements. At a certain point, the stuff he was writing for the Cadets started to all sound the same, and not in a good way. 

I think that Drew is going to be good for the Cadets

I, too, thought Jay's arrangements for Cadets started becoming very predictable. Consistently brilliant, but predictable. Maybe it was forced on him by GH, but just saying.

I'm not sold on Drew's arrangements, but I'm waiting and giving everyone a chance, especially getting through this season. But in 2017, I never liked the big hit in Simple Song near the beginning -- it sounded like 4 different things going on at once with nothing over top of it for clarity. I never understood that part, why it was arranged that way. Just an example.

Edited by chris ncsu
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I enjoyed it too. 1993 was my first year to watch the DCI broadcast on PBS, so the closer is special to me.

I asked this in maybe the Orlando thread, but what is different about the 2018 design compared to what GH had in mind? Clearly the title, clearly the use of Sound of Silence. But I feel like folks on here are saying (and I don't mean to put words in your mouth) "this is a huge improvement over what GH would've designed," but I can't imagine given the timing of the GH departure that TOO much could've changed. Maybe the big difference is how the show progresses over the summer (and won't get ruined at the hands of GH)?

I think it's more about what would not have happened. Personally, I have felt since 2013 or 2014 that GH should have stayed out of the design sandbox. In the 2015-2017 I felt they were just tinkered with so much and ended up beating us over the head with the theme. In 2015, it was like TEN was just every where. It was so literal. I also felt it was a mistake to go to the blacks in 2015. The show, to me, looked better in the maroon uniforms. Last year, I heard people say they were surprised they didn't pass out collection plates in the stands at finals. It was just all too loaded and too literal. I thought they had a nice show to start the season with last year, but the constent tinkering ruined it for me. All three years I felt the props were pretty useless. That's what I think has changed and they will be better off for letting design experts design.

GH was in the activity for so long. I think it is really hard for people who have been doing the same thing for decades to have fresh, innovative and interesting ideas. He should have just stayed out of the design process and put trust in those he hired to do that.

3 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

Eh, he was pretty #### good at being a lightning rod. See: everyone who blames him and him alone for the changes that the majority of corps voted to approve over the past twenty years.

Also good at being a generally terrible person.

He was, and insisted on being, the sole figurehead for everything. It was his very predictable downfall. He simply refused to listen to anyone he differed with, and especially those who were imminently more creatively qualified.

Cadets are infinitely better off without him.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yep.  Everyone has a story. 

or 20

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I agree, although I feel the end was what GH forced the design team to put into the end of the 2014 show. The show that Marc Sylvester initially helped them design was really nice, and with less narration and better staging could have been a stately and reverent look at our history from a President's view point. Ultimately it got turned into hot garbage with the kitchen sink thrown into the ending.  Too bad. Very talented corps that never lost a show to any corps except the Blue Devils during the entire season until Bluecoats nabbed them on Finals night.  I feel like that was the end in the minds of many staff...even if they stay a year or two longer. 

So happy for the young and improved Cadets of today. They came out a little sluggish, but that was due to many issues and changes. In the end I feel they will have a great show come Finals and we will all have tears in our eyes regardless of placement. 

it started for me with WSS in 09, multiplied in 12 with the Christmas show, and 14  on out completed it.

he tried so hard in 09 not to be the WSS of the past, that certain little thimgs from the past added in could have helped so much and kept the end of the show from being so overwritten the kids had a chance to get it clean. You want effect that blows the lid off the Oil Can? Z pull with ascending horn part. Double your money and do the one from 90 that went up and down.

12 he kept adding more and more crap in.

14...good lord just shut up and play

15...the black.

from there well, yeah

15 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Catherine Burr?

he not she

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

As much as I loved the black uniforms, I still chuckle at thought of Hopkins sitting at his desk while designing the show and thinking

"Hmm so what should we do for Cadets 2015... I only have 10 days before I need to propose a design... wait 10? Let's do a show about the number 10! Everything on the field can be 10 and we'll even use Neon because it's the 10th element! And you know what's going to make that neon pop and those judge's pants wet? Black uniforms! I'm a genius" 

Side-note: still think those uniforms work better with white pants. And maybe a neon cummerbund of some sort.

Something like, say, the guard uniforms here: