Cadets 2018

now onto Mis-sis-sipp-eye.

Back forty years ago, this State came to the rescue of the diminished corps with great mms coming from Passagoula, Ocean Springs, Gulfport, U. of Mississippi and Mississippi State to replenish the horn line. That there is a corps at all today is well due to these Mississippians trusting us Northerners in a time with no air conditioning on the buses, minimal meals from the box truck that was the food service, and a staff in transition. Along the way other great mms have walked that legacy well. While some remember the bumbling of  comments said in heat and humidity that rightfully offended some band directors, better to be remembered is how Mississippi was so key to the building of the corps for those legacy years. And of course Cadets won championships the year they were held in Jackson, Miss.

now onto Hattiesburg for here we grow!

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, xandandl said:

now onto Mis-sis-sipp-eye.

Back forty years ago, this State came to the rescue of the diminished corps with great mms coming from Passagoula, Ocean Springs, Gulfport, U. of Mississippi and Mississippi State to replenish the horn line. That there is a corps at all today is well due to these Mississippians trusting us Northerners in a time with no air conditioning on the buses, minimal meals from the box truck that was the food service, and a staff in transition. Along the way other great mms have walked that legacy well. While some remember the bumbling of  comments said in heat and humidity that rightfully offended some band directors, better to be remembered is how Mississippi was so key to the building of the corps for those legacy years. And of course Cadets won championships the year they were held in Jackson, Miss.

Well said.

A buddy of mine aged out of Cadets in 1980. An amazing comeback season... from nearly dead in the water in the offseason to a solid finalist in what, IMO, is still one of the best finals lineups in DCI history. "The Year That Saved The Cadets."

• Like 4

way to be great Scott!!!

A message from our Corps Director - Scott Litzenberg

"As I sit here watching an awesome night of rehearsal, I am in awe of these Cadets and staff. Their joy of hard work and intensity of focus are just inspiring. 

To know what these kids have dealt with over the last few months and see them just doing what they do with such heart and energy, is truly inspiring. 

I know this is a competitive activity, but the way they have dedicated themselves to being the best they can be while emotionally effecting others, is the most important thing they have learned. The life lesson of never giving up pales in comparison to the life lesson of working harder than you ever thought you could. 

Proud, yes. Thankful, yes. In awe, even more so!!!
And I get to see this every day. Every. Day!!"

— feeling inspired at Malone Stadium

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

^ all I see when I looked at that gorgeous picture is that the brass player on side 1 30 is late to their dot

#drumcorpstoolong 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Straight legs (Photo by Josh Clements)

37805637_1714806731971549_43891068244401

and certain ones of them were doing this at 220 bpm despite the fever and virus that would have destroyed mere mortals.

12 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Well said.

A buddy of mine aged out of Cadets in 1980. An amazing comeback season... from nearly dead in the water in the offseason to a solid finalist in what, IMO, is still one of the best finals lineups in DCI history. "The Year That Saved The Cadets."

I saw Cadets very early on in 1980 perform what had to be one of the shakiest early season shows I had seen of a corps of Cadets caliber, and while there is no question it was a bad run, there was also a certain spark to the show that made it easy to see that the show did have potential. I don’t believe they came to the Boston area again that season, but I know I did not see them again until I watched finals on PBS. I won’t say I knew they’d be in finals after seeing that first show, but that 1980 show is my favorite Cadets show. There were far greater shows, no question, and many that I loved, but 1980 is still a favorite.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I saw Cadets very early on in 1980 perform what had to be one of the shakiest early season shows I had seen of a corps of Cadets caliber, and while there is no question it was a bad run, there was also a certain spark to the show that made it easy to see that the show did have potential.

Saw them at a NJ show that summer around the July 4th weekend, and those were my thoughts too.

They were about 20-plus points behind the top guns at that contest... 27th Lancers and Madison Scouts... but there was just something about the Cadets' show.  Had a "Man... if they clean this up, look out" vibe to it.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1