Cadets 2018

14 hours ago, East9900 said:

As weird as it may sound, going "old school" (traditional uniforms, fast drill) could set them apart in a good way. If they can execute the drill at a high level, they could argue to the judges that what they are doing is more difficult and deserve more credit. 

I think there's a way to add the marching and movement in a way that could set them apart. There's also that possibility it will attract more players if they would rather put the emphasis on marching movement over dance movement. 

If they chose to do this, they would have to create drill that would give fans/judges those wow moments. Unfortunately that is severely missing from them lately. 

I think this year, the focus is on so much more than scores. Hence why you dont see radical changes. This year is about survival and roots, tradition. Sure, they don't want to be 13th, but they know they arent contending. The kids are buying the hell out of the show, and true believers love all of the "Cadet" touches in the show. 

Worry about a number next year. Finish this season rebuilding the fan base. I predict right now a HUGE reaction when they come on the field in Allentown. Scott, you may have to take a bow, and you won't be booed for it

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

I think this year, the focus is on so much more than scores. Hence why you dont see radical changes. This year is about survival and roots, tradition. Sure, they don't want to be 13th, but they know they arent contending. The kids are buying the hell out of the show, and true believers love all of the "Cadet" touches in the show. 

Worry about a number next year. Finish this season rebuilding the fan base. I predict right now a HUGE reaction when they come on the field in Allentown. Scott, you may have to take a bow, and you won't be booed for it

I agree. I am incredibly impressed with what they've been able to do with a program that was put together just a few months before spring training.

I've been pleasantly surprised in the amount of people that have enjoyed The Cadets this season. It's a nice change. 

I'll be much more concerned if next season they are placing similarly to this one. This year is more about bringing a new era and they are doing a hell of a job and I couldn't be more proud of them as an alum.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

I think back to the days where if someone wanted to complain about GH , then along came so many to defend everything in all aspects. 

Refreshing that the corps now has new leadership and direction. The kids are doing great and I am happy for them and the organization. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, E3D said:

I think back to the days where if someone wanted to complain about GH , then along came so many to defend everything in all aspects. 

Refreshing that the corps now has new leadership and direction. The kids are doing great and I am happy for them and the organization. 

Yeah, obviously that was before we know what we know now. When you've marched with a corps with such a history, surely  you'd understand why people were defending him. But that's all gone now. The new director is making for a better fit for this corps. We'll see how it goes in future seasons. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

fI think this year, the focus is on so much more than scores. Hence why you dont see radical changes. This year is about survival and roots, tradition. Sure, they don't want to be 13th, but they know they arent contending. The kids are buying the hell out of the show, and true believers love all of the "Cadet" touches in the show. 

I think they are doing a lot more than just surviving this year. Considering others above them who have all the little duckies in a row, Cadets still are just 2 points from being in that next mix. Put all they have survived ( not just GH)and what they have done I think most couldn't. They have not just survived the mess but thrived and hopefully looking to a future when this corps clearly can take their place once again which is built into their Long history of champions.

You are right though about what this year and many others years were about, roots, tradition and the DNA that runs through what being a Cadet means. Their fan base didn't go anywhere and is getting stronger too.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

I think they are doing a lot more than just surviving this year. Considering others above them who have all the little duckies in a row, Cadets still are just 2 points from being in that next mix. Put all they have survived ( not just GH)and what they have done I think most couldn't. They have not just survived the mess but thrived and hopefully looking to a future when this corps clearly can take their place once again which is built into their Long history of champions.

You are right though about what this year and many others years were about, roots, tradition and the DNA that runs through what being a Cadet means. Their fan base didn't go anywhere and is getting stronger too.

Agreed. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

It is amazing!  And the alumni who weren’t welcome for so long are now back! 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It is amazing!  And the alumni who weren’t welcome for so long are now back! 

Yeah, the alumni facebook page seems to show that the alum are back in full force. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Completely disagree with this...

....and completely agree with this. 

I will try not to sound argumentative, as that’s not my intention.

1.  Prop use-They aren’t going away.  Use them and incorporate them effectively.  To not do so will greatly hinder a unit scoring TODAY.  

2.  Guard integration.  It has been lacking for some time.  Too much BAND over here, GUARD over there in the staging.  Again, this won’t win friends and influence people TODAY.

3.  Improved non-conventional movement design and training.  This is also here to stay.  Again, the corps above the Cadets ALL exceed them in these areas.

I love marching and playing.  It is VERY hard to do well and also be musically effective.  With overall effect being king in what gets comp numbers TODAY, we see less risk and demand in the drill from the overwhelming majority of units.  The 2018 Cadets are at the opposite end of this trend.  By today’s standards, these kids are running.  While I feel a perverse sense of pride in this, I can also admit the uneven field this puts them on given evaluation trends currently in place.   I don’t like that kids hauling the mail isn’t being rewarded, but I can put aside my preferences to see this reality.  I don’t want to see the corps not run and gun.  I would like to see improvement in the areas mentioned above, as well as more calculated use of physically demanding drill.  If it’s HARD, it should be GREAT.  Even though I prefer “drill”, I see a bit too much of the former vs. the latter in this year’s program.  A program with portions that I like, but is also scoring where it should be.

• Like 1