The Cavaliers 2018, 70 years of excellence

8 hours ago, dcsnare93 said:

Cavies were the definite favorite of the night at the theatre I was at.

The show is entertaining and has a lot of potential. Looking forward to watching it develop over the season.

Let's hope these men work hard enough for it! And that the design team needs to be on point.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MikeN said:

Cavaliers are my new best favorite so far. I spent the first half of the show lamenting the demise of their recent signature dark humor, but it surfaced in the closer with a biting vengeance!

Mike

The theater I was out did not have great sound.

Noticed a lot of smiles in the pit during the dancing/singing,during the closer,but couldn't really figure out what was going on.

Could someone please explain the "dark humor" referred to above.

13 hours ago, MikeN said:

Cavaliers are my new best favorite so far. I spent the first half of the show lamenting the demise of their recent signature dark humor, but it surfaced in the closer with a biting vengeance!

Mike

Oh boy did it. The song and then the "super fabulous" final guard costume was hysterical. We LOVED it. They have become masters at skewering their own seriousness and it is a hoot.

Edited by NakedEye
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

Oh boy did it. The song and then the "super fabulous" final guard costume was hysterical. We LOVED it. They have becoming masters at skewering their own seriousness and it is a hoot.

I’m hoping they do it even more “over the top” or shall I say “over the rainbow” as the season progresses. Loved the feminine of “oh what a world” meshing with the masculinity of “Bolero”

• Like 2

I loved every minute of the cavies show and I can't wait to see what the do with it throughout the season.  I'm looking forward to seeing them live in San Antonio.

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

The theater I was out did not have great sound.

Noticed a lot of smiles in the pit during the dancing/singing,during the closer,but couldn't really figure out what was going on.

Could someone please explain the "dark humor" referred to above.

I realize much is in the eye of the beholder, but they spend 2/3 of the show building up this dark, intense and slightly malevolent presence, only to rip the curtain off and take the mickey out of themselves and everything they just showed you.  Also - I see it as a subtle commentary that both extremes come from the same place in the mind - layering Oh What a World and Bolero works brilliantly!

Mike

Impressions from the tour premiere:

I think the Cavs had the best brass of the night, my goodness. I expect and enjoy their clean and crisp drill maneuvers and they certainly delivered, but I was not expecting the level of brass performance that I saw in the show! Bolero just gave the show an old school feeling that I think is sorely missed these days.They have a unique show and are definitely a contender for a medalist position pending placements for BD and SCV by end of season.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, PhantomPhan91 said:

Impressions from the tour premiere:

I think the Cavs had the best brass of the night, my goodness. I expect and enjoy their clean and crisp drill maneuvers and they certainly delivered, but I was not expecting the level of brass performance that I saw in the show! Bolero just gave the show an old school feeling that I think is sorely missed these days.They have a unique show and are definitely a contender for a medalist position pending placements for BD and SCV by end of season.

As a Cavaliers brass alumnus, let's just say we have a lot of say about the direction of the corps between seasons and we challenged the brass staff to come out smokin' hot from the get-go and clean the ensemble sound as the season progresses rather than the "play correctly then add the excitement later" strategy of recent seasons.  The brass recap numbers speak for themselves:  If you consistently start with CONT scores five points below Crown or the Blue Devils then no matter how high the ACHV scores go, you can't make up points in the other captions to medal. 

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps
  • Like 2