The Cavaliers 2018, 70 years of excellence

6 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Glad they have a purpose behind those tarps. It’s a little esoteric to me. 

Maybe it looks better higher up.

Everything in drum corps looks better from high up. 

After a couple views (although the show did catch me right away at the season's opener), I think this is the (mistakenly) underestimated show design of the top 7ish at the moment. It simply reads as a natural growth out of their previous two seasons, and I love that forward progression. I love the BrainLab podcast and had no idea they were reflecting as well on the episode with the painter....I'm nuts about that aspect. Really, really cool. The red line tarps & scaffolding fences create some really interesting staging moments and it just reads as visually fresh. Orawa is intense. Bolero & What a World at the end is of course gold. Overall, just a deeper, more thoughtful show than we've seen from Cavies over the last two years (and I've loved the last two years), but it still has the big audience appeal of the last two shows. And I know it's been mentioned ad nauseam, but their brass is FINALLY playing at the level of their front ensemble and their visual execution...God they sound good! I'm not used to such deep, resonant sounds from this brass ensemble, and I'm eating it up. There is a ton to work on this season in this well- & deeply-designed production, and I don't imagine Cavies will end up anywhere near where they're sitting now in the rankings.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Well they made their first move tonight and it worked. It’s just the beginning of a really competitive year for dci. It’s going to be an amazing season. 

GO CAVIES!

Edited by dureau
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've watched a video of their show several times and because the camera mostly focuses on the tuba players and skirted guard, I still can't tell: who's singing "Oh What a World" and where on the field are they located?

All of Brass section is singing and they are in center of field 

Edited by dureau
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dureau said:

All of Beass section is singing and they are in center of field 

Is it now live or Memorex? Or beamed at us electronically?

It sounded so strange in Muncie I couldn't tell.

In other words they succeeded in the effect they were shooting for!  Lol