Staff Merry-go-round 2018 Edition

17 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The big common thread through BD's shows in the past decade has been white props (which pop way better than any other colored prop), a jazz sound, and consistent excellence.

in the past 3 years, they've incorporated a pop song into a drum break. What other common elements are you finding? 

Gold and Silver

• Like 8

4 hours ago, snare_guy_83 said:

"Drum corps not announcing their staffs" is what he said. 

Does that mean that a staff member from X Corps can't publicly announce their departure for said corps?

I would think so.  What are they going to do?  Fire him/her?  :laughing:

It's like those staff members who were leaking recaps in 2016.  

3 hours ago, ThePlanets said:

I don't work in the field but  I would think that announcing your own departure is probably discouraged and may jeopardize your relationship with the new corps.

Retirement on the other hand is another story.

My guess is the change which would be more a policy than a rule, would mean a corps cannot officially make an announcement, but unless a staff member has this written in a contract or agreement, a staff member is free to say whatever he/she likes, as long as it is true and not slanderous. The corps can ask the staff member leaving to be quiet, and professionally and ethically the staff member should, but enforcing it is a whole different matter.

I can't see how it will hurt the staff member's relationship with the new corps, unless it is controversial and the current staff have not been notified, but it does create bitterness with the former corps. If the staff member is highly qualified and sought after, there is often bitterness between the staff and the old corps and bitterness between the old corps and new corps. 

Drum corps is run like a business, but many aspects are personal. It is never the fault if a corps a staff member leaves even if contracts are not honored or pay is withheld or dispensed at a later date.  A staff member who accepts a better offer is not loyal, a staff member who is acquired is stolen, going to greener pastures even if you need a change can be viewed as selfish. Drum corps is a small community in the grand scheme of things and it gets personal. 

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it has potential. Bucs isn't exactly one you whistle on your way out the door either.

I agree Jeff. 

C2 started slow each season and finished strong - 3 weekends left!

45 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I would think so.  What are they going to do?  Fire him/her?  :laughing:

It's like those staff members who were leaking recaps in 2016.  

no staff members leaked recaps. no way. uh huh. nope. not at all

:whistle:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I agree Jeff. 

C2 started slow each season and finished strong - 3 weekends left!

i'm biased...i've only known Rich, oh, all my life LOL. and i've seen him pull rabbits out of his ### on many occasions. Cabs 03 anyone?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm biased...i've only known Rich, oh, all my life LOL. and i've seen him pull rabbits out of his ### on many occasions. Cabs 03 anyone?

He'll make it great.  Look what he did last year.  It was amazing. 

5 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

Hopkins, on his FB Live, just confirmed that no one cannot annouce staff changes until the Tuesday after Labor Day

So that means they can announce...double negative and all...lol

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

that and any holes will suddenly be filled and a whole bunch of local Cadets are signing on to help - they will surge. I do think it is a "Bucs" year but I'm quite confident in that C2 team and their DCA cred

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

that and any holes will suddenly be filled and a whole bunch of local Cadets are signing on to help - they will surge. I do think it is a "Bucs" year but I'm quite confident in that C2 team and their DCA cred

There aren't any holes. :dozingoff:

Edited by 20XXMM
  • Like 1