Staff Merry-go-round 2018 Edition

1 minute ago, onionhead said:

What if DCI were to put more reward on marching/playing. This isn't concert band, it's still marching band ?

Do you mean rewarding Marching over other types of Movement? Or do you just mean more emphasis on simultaneous demand of doing any type of movement while playing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm biased...i've only known Rich, oh, all my life LOL. and i've seen him pull rabbits out of his ### on many occasions. Cabs 03 anyone?

there's allot of work to do, but top five for sure

9 minutes ago, onionhead said:

What if DCI were to put more reward on marching/playing. This isn't concert band, it's still marching band ?

Then BD would adjust and probably do it better than everyone else 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, HbRJgdZHsbc said:

Do you mean rewarding Marching over other types of Movement? Or do you just mean more emphasis on simultaneous demand of doing any type of movement while playing?

Yes, I personally would like to see more emphasis on simultaneous demand. Thank you

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, onionhead said:

Then you would see programming a lot more like 1993.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Good! Let's see it. They were pretty wonderful at it in the 1994-2004 period. 2007 and 2008 were pretty good, too. And hey, 2005 wasn't that bad musically, either.

My issues with the sheets in relation to BD's style aren't usually that they play to the sheets and should change the sheets so they don't win...but drum corps is a spectator sport. I'd much prefer the sheets be tweaked to reward things that are more entertaining, and have BD max out on those. Which, to be fair, they've done quite well on the being-more-generally-entertaining thing since the new sheets went into effect.

I'm not saying everything has to be least-common-denominator pablum. But...well, the Blue Devils in 2010 performed Stan Kenton's City of Glass live more times than Kenton's band ever did. There's a reason for that. (And the fact that I have to go back 7 years to think of that example is a good thing.)

In general, I'd like to see more simultaneous demand rewarded, and I'd prefer it to be stuff that's easily read on high cam (so, not of the bug-squishing variety, necessarily). Keep stopped down for things when necessary (I'm not expecting anyone to play Flight of the Bumblebee while marching), but play more on the move, too.

And that's true of everyone, really. I think Bluecoats have this figured out the best of anyone currently, and I'm not sure they're even that great at it. Santa Clara marched a lot (which was wonderful to see), but didn't play as much on the move as they have in years past (they played a fair amount on the move in 2013 and 2014, from what I recall). But they also got rewarded for it this year, so...who knows.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I would love see that, But that might requir a design staff change or not, but there would be a adjustment period, some of these other wonderful corps might just share some of the glory. I don't think that would be such a bad thing. Actually I think it would be very heathy for DCI

Edited by onionhead
Upps

2 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

It'll all come out one way or another. I'm guessing leaks. 

Where is wiki leaks when you need him