Staff Merry-go-round 2018 Edition

George Dixon - do you think it is fair that an organization that has a competitive Drum Corps and runs a band circuit should be able to hire DCI judges? Maybe there should be a rule against that?

Edited by SuperSaderFan

17 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Can't someone make something up? 

Sure.

All World Class corps directors are changing. You move up one slot from finishing order and for one year are the director of the corps who finished one slot above you. Then the next year, you move up another slot. So in 2018:

Vanguard's direction now in charge of Blue Devils

Bluecoats staff now in charge of Cavaliers (sexy!)

Cadets direction now in charge of Boston (scandalous!)

and of course...

Blue Devils staff now in charge of Pioneer!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSaderFan said:

George Dixon - do you think it is fair that an organization that has a competitive Drum Corps and runs a band circuit should be able to hire DCI judges? Maybe there should be a rule against that?

Never thought of this... but man, seems quite a conflict of interest, whether real or perceived.

On 8/16/2017 at 4:00 PM, Jeff Ream said:

anyone dumb enough to try that in todays day and age deserves all they get, and trust me, there'd be explosions

Minnesota, Louisville, USC, Auburn, Clemson, SMU, et al, all in today's day and age, 

SO, if you

… suspect or know of an individual or a business that is not complying with the tax laws on issues such as:

• False Exemptions or Deductions
  • Kickbacks
  • False/Altered Document
  • Failure to Pay Tax
  • Unreported Income
  • Organized Crime
  • Failure to Withhold

Form 3949-A

8 minutes ago, Lead said:

Never thought of this... but man, seems quite a conflict of interest, whether real or perceived.

Maybe, but let's remember that this activity is primarily about ENTERTAINMENT. It's not life or death--the show sounds/looks the same regardless of the numbers assigned after the fact. 

3 minutes ago, CDUB said:

Maybe, but let's remember that this activity is primarily about ENTERTAINMENT. It's not life or death--the show sounds/looks the same regardless of the numbers assigned after the fact. 

Cuts both ways, though. If you run a corps and get on the wrong side of the activity, they can make your life and job a living hell. And hide behind protocol.

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

As far as Boston being the reason corps can't rent LOS - hadn't heard that. However I don't know that "Fairness" and a corps rehearsing IN the competition facility go hand in hand. I feel the same way about that as I do about "System Blue" being a DCI sponsor. That shouldn't be happen either. 

26 minutes ago, SuperSaderFan said:

Cadets rehearsed at the host site for the Orlando show day of event. Crown rehearsed at the stadium at Wake Forest day of event. I could go on and on.  Fair? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. 

13 minutes ago, SuperSaderFan said:

As we await a reply from GD, for those who have questioned SSF's info, let's just say in regards to what happens with the Boston Crusaders and IA&M, he has a reserved seat at the table.  I imagine he has a great relationship with the folks at DCI HQ also.

11 minutes ago, SuperSaderFan said:

Judges have been working with bands, corps (before rule changes) , which is totally acceptable. I see your inference, meaning Cadets. Most judges at some point have an affiliation with a corps. I have many friends that are judges that have been/marched/taught corps in the past. It is a small field for quality judges.

All we can do is respect that the judges are impartial. LOL In a perfect world.

I have no problem with judges having an affiliation. Again, small world. All I ask for is no bias.

If what you are referencing, again I think your point is aimed at Cadets. Actually, judges that do YEA shows, do it for the love of the activity. TRUST me, they actually lose money personally. Between flight, room, food. They actually basically lose money during a judging a YEA show.

So no, I have no problem.

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Cuts both ways, though. If you run a corps and get on the wrong side of the activity, they can make your life and job a living hell. And hide behind protocol.

Maybe.