Staff Merry-go-round 2018 Edition

So our first two corps to announce their 2018 staff changes are from the West Coast: BK and Academy.

BK's staff is mostly the same except for a new Brass Caption Head in Chad Pence. :( I loved Brad Toth's work with the brass; he knew how to get the best possible sound out of the ever-unpopular Jupiter horns, which was nothing short of gorgeous. It will be interesting to see where he goes from here. Depending on where he ends up, I can see there being a split between those who are drawn to Bocook's arranging and those who are drawn to Toth's hornline sounds.

As for the rest of BK's staff, I'm torn. Bocook, Jackson and Shah staying is a great sign that we'll see more cutting-edge music arrangements again. What I was most hoping for, though, was a visual design upgrade. That's literally what's holding them back between where they are and being a consistent Top 6 finisher. Oh well. Hopefully they can come out with a better visual design from the get-go instead of totally rewriting parts of the show throughout the course of the season.

On to Academy: The obvious standout here is losing Michael Townsend, which is a bit sad. I have to wonder if this means we'll see a style shift from them this season. The past four seasons were wonderful, but maybe it would be best if they try a new flavor that fits them to a T. At the same time, they got what I believe to be the first female program coordinator I can remember in my time following the activity, so that's a plus. (Correct me if there was another before her)

Looks like Michael Larkin left Academy, too. I liked the lyrical sound he brought to the brass, but the technical side left some to be desired. Hopefully the new caption head will improve on this.

6 hours ago, HbRJgdZHsbc said:

I guess color guard doesn't count.  :(

Kristy Templin's name appears later down the page. She's more a technician than a creative voice. My surprise is not seeing Joe Heininger's name re-appear (last year's guard and costume designer.) It may just be an omission although the website says more will be announced within the next two weeks. https://yea.org/news/1769-cadets-staff-returning-in-2018

Perhaps a bigger gauge of where the corps will be going is naming Scott-Lee Atchison of the U of Kentucky as the Brass Caption head.    https://yea.org/bio-pop/22-static/cadets/1406-scott-lee-atchison-bio

Edited by xandandl

7 hours ago, Liahona said:

never heard of her...

She worked on Crown's brass choreography in 2017. She's currently involved at one of the Blue Springs, MO schools with her husband Steve Vento (BD brass staff, brass arranger at Legends, formerly at BA then Tulsa Union). She was guard designer at Union for a couple years.

She's... something. I'd consider the loss of Michael Townsend to be tremendous.

• Like 1

It's funny how they all want to be the first to announce their staff but the last to announce their show design.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hornandsoccer said:

BK, with a shift in brass caption head but otherwise the same, I believe:

http://ascendperformingarts.org/blue-knights-announce-design-team-caption-heads-for-2018-season/

Chad Pence? Well, BK just got a WHOLE lot better!!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Liahona said:

never heard of her...

Big name in the band world. She has been around for a number of years. I have judged many of her programs and this is a great pick up for the AZ team. :thumbs-up:

6 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

I don't think many people had heard of Pockloki either...did a pretty good job with Cavies 95 drill...

LOL spot on Sir!