Carolina Crown 2018

Not sure how I feel about the "completely redesigned" thing. The current style has the potential to produce either a really clean and slick looking uniform or a gaudy one, but they've hit on most all of their designs with it. 

It's Thursday. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CarolinaCrown said:

I don't know who all was there, but I was at finals last year in Indy and I thought Crown sounded PHENOMENAL, played soooo clean, and could've placed higher had the issues with the technology with the vocalist not happened. But then again I don't know if they would've placed higher because the other shows were so awesome. Is it just me or is it way too hard for a corps to upset another at finals?

Crown was at the top of their game in Indy.  The technology thing was unfortunate, and frustrating for everyone who knew how good the show could be (ample coverage of this in the Crown 2017 thread). 

Whole threads have been devoted to the topic of score/placement stability and how few upsets there are throughout a season.  Different things have been tried to shake things up (random order, etc.).  Cavies did (just barely) upset Bluecoats this past year but, yeah, it was a surprise.  

Proposals have been made to change the scoring system.  The scores determine the placements (easy enough, right?) but, because there is a fixed ceiling, the system (for all intents and purposes) becomes an ordinal system by finals week.  While Crown achieved top brass, the 0.1 margin did not provide much discrimination (i.e. differentiation) at the highest levels.  By finals week, most of the spreads in each caption are 0.1 to 0.2.  There is simply no room at the top to provide much differentiation.  Again, you can find whole threads on DCP discussing the limitations of the current (and any proposed) scoring systems.

For 2018, my guess is that Crown is in a position to rock the current scoring/placement system and will be contending for a title.  We'll know more after the first competition, but everything indicates that the three sections will be strong, and the designers are taking no prisoners.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

For 2018, my guess is that Crown is in a position to rock the current scoring/placement system and will be contending for a title.  We'll know more after the first competition, but everything indicates that the three sections will be strong, and the designers are taking no prisoners.  

Preach!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

I've been going to rehearsals and following this corps now for almost 8 years, and this is the strongest group I've seen yet. And there is something about the design of this years show that just feels like purpose (like they're on a mission), as opposed to last season.

Mission?  They are re-claiming the title "Beast" of the East.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, cube said:

Not sure how I feel about the "completely redesigned" thing. The current style has the potential to produce either a really clean and slick looking uniform or a gaudy one, but they've hit on most all of their designs with it. 

Crown has been really great about picking new uniforms since the Cream Years. I have no doubt if what I've heard comes fruitful that it will be another great uniform. 

It looks like Crown will have a 20 member mellophone line this year. I guess that’s where the extra 4 members went..

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

It feels like they're further ahead then they we're at this time last season, and that's scary. 

With all of the rain that is forecast over the next week it's a good thing! I hope to catch some rehearsals this weekend (weather permitting).