Carolina Crown 2018

10 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

There is definitely a trend with this corps that they like pace themselves in terms of getting the entire production on the field. They are the masters of layering. Last season they were adding the week of finals. I think its going to be difficult to judge where this corps will be until we get to San Antonio. 

Exactly! Every corps does this to an extent absolutely but Crown has really embraced this philosophy. The design team know what they want the show to get to and add piece by piece pretty much daily until basically the week of finals. 2015 and 2017 are perfect examples of this. Two shows that, while some people loved them early season, didn't start really making moves until the last few weeks in the season when the design team really started putting in key pieces. This year reminds me of both those years so we'll see what happens.

I really like this year's edition of Crown! This is probably the first time in a couples years that I have been able to genuinely say that. It has very little of the things that bothered me about previous shows and has a lot of the things I have come to love about Crown. 

If I had to have one criticism of this show, it's that the theme of the show isn't really coming out to me except for in the closer, and maybe in the opener. The middle of the show seems to lose the energy you'd expect from a show titled "Beast!" Hopefully that's something that will be worked on since it's still very, very early

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tavman91 said:

I was sitting in Row G and noticed something that I missed at the Preview - some front ensemble folks crawling out from underneath the marimbas and being dragged back inside. Nice nod to Inferno!

I bet they'll add more of that in late season...they didn't do the pulling the members back under the veil in 2015 till mid to late season. That's when things really started to ramp up in GE...the fans went nuts for it when they first did it. If they do something along those lines later this summer ..

• Like 1

Another reminder: Crown (and many other Corps) add to the show during the season (as mentioned above) not only to enhance the presentation, but also to keep the members "on their toes" (pun intended?). Can't have the MM sleep-walking thru the show after they think they've learned it. 

6 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

There is definitely a trend with this corps that they like pace themselves in terms of getting the entire production on the field. They are the masters of layering. Last season they were adding the week of finals. I think its going to be difficult to judge where this corps will be until we get to San Antonio. 

Yes their pacing!!!  Along with the constant layering of the pieces of the show that they have already put on the field all the way up til Atlanta, I believe. Some may have not like the finished product over the years, but would be pressed to say that Crown didn't put a darn good polishing on their finished shows!!!  I definitely give the them snaps and KUDOS for that!!

• Like 3

I find it odd that there has not been much discussion about Crown's ballad, specifically the fact that there is a small all female treble brass ensemble (8 trumpet / 6 mellophone / 2 baritones) and that the baritones and remaining trumpets and mellophones all switch to trombone for the ballad! I mean there are 40 something trombones out there!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MPutnam said:

I find it odd that there has not been much discussion about Crown's ballad, specifically the fact that there is a small all female treble brass ensemble (8 trumpet / 6 mellophone / 2 baritones) and that the baritones and remaining trumpets and mellophones all switch to trombone for the ballad! I mean there are 40 something trombones out there!

Oh WOW!!!!!  I had to go back and look.  I always saw them go backfield but couldn't tell what they were doing coming back on field.... now that's a moment I cannot wait to witness in Atlanta!!!!!   The videos don't really give you that clear look at everything that's going on.  But again... WOW!!  And thanks for your polite smack upside the head!!!!  LOL

The ladies look like they put on wigs as well for the ensemble??? Am I seeing correct??

9 minutes ago, bvgordy said:

The ladies look like they put on wigs as well for the ensemble??? Am I seeing correct??

I think they're just putting their hair up loosely under the hat (maybe a hair net) so that when they remove the hats, their hair falls down naturally.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bvgordy said:

Oh WOW!!!!!  I had to go back and look.  I always saw them go backfield but couldn't tell what they were doing coming back on field.... now that's a moment I cannot wait to witness in Atlanta!!!!!   The videos don't really give you that clear look at everything that's going on.  But again... WOW!!  And thanks for your polite smack upside the head!!!!  LOL

So much going on in the show that it's easy to overlook things :1_grinning:  The ensemble sound they're getting from 46 trombones on the field during the ballad is just amazing.  So beautiful and rich.    Some low brass remain on trombone during "Blow it up" .  

As for the ladies in the small ensemble, they're doing a smashing job.  

• Like 1