Carolina Crown 2018

11 hours ago, Ghost said:

Why do posters make these comments?  Are they assuming other corps have stopped "cleaning", "layering", etc.  Are the staffs of these corps satisfied with their off season creations and have turned over to the techs the sections for the rest of the year?

You assume that every progresses the same. They do not. Some corps are known for being able to clean and improve rapidly. Others not so much. Some start strong and then do not seem to improve as much. It depends on the corps, the staff and their experience. Crown is known for continual development and improvement. The original posters comment is completely reasonable given who we are talking about. Does not mean it will happen but they have a history of making it happen. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2018 at 7:08 PM, FTNK said:

We went from Crown beating BD to ending up sixth in 2 posts...

Doesn't take much

Okay, back to the show.  It's taken a little time, but it usually does for me.  I am started to get more excited about this show as I develop an interpretation that works for me.  It's not fully formed, but it's a start.  I must admit, with the amount of snark and bad mojo in this thread, I am a bit reluctant, but what the hell.

Opening statement:  A beastly proclamation of dominance.  Whatever, it's Crown playing Bruckner so I'm sold.
Second movement:  I view this as a hunt.  I get the sense of lurking, prowling, looking for prey.  Lots of fits and starts (pouncing), eventually with a successful kill/capture. 
Ballad:  This took me a bit, but when I read the lyrics, it occurred to me that the song is about fear of trusting someone, similar to how an animal is fearful of trusting anyone, especially humans.  They may feel a pull to connect, but their instincts are telling them they will be hurt, so they are resistant.  I think the arrangement works well with this concept, and appears to suggest a connection made, but with a bit of foreshadowed doom at that end.

Second half I am a little fuzzier on, I do think that there is some sort of competition, perhaps a challenge of the earlier stated dominance, and than a ritual of some kind.  I am baffled by the closer right now, to be honest.  Like I said, not a fully formed interpretation.  Frankly, I doubt the closer if fully formed, either.

As for the props, I simply see the bones as set pieces, and I am not bothered by that like many others are.  Frankly, I find restaging of props distracting.  For Nessie, I don't think there is any magic here.  Seems to be part of the ritual aspect, I think it goes well with the Newman piece.  It does not bother me too much if that is all there is to it, because it's an effective set piece when it is not being used (vs trampolines).

Anyway, that is what I have so far.  It's amazing how much more you can enjoy a show when you can find a context that works for you.  I am buying much more of it now than I was two weeks ago.  Looking forward to see how it develops. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Seems this year there will not be much of a spread between 1st & 6th at least in entertainment value and may even set a record on how little of a spread there is, good luck to all.

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

A post that might be made in every 2018 corps thread on DCP I365. 

"Always have to question everything" read on the CC threads is false.  And every post I type is "MY OPINION" and if you don't like it, ignore them.  Practice what you preach sir.

Nowhere on DCP have I typed this year that I don't like any corps show, and please provide us some proof that the mm of CC are "honestly getting short strawed".

Jesus Christ, are you a 14 year old key board warrior? I don't have the time to deal with you. You had the issue first, so build a bridge and get over it or be petty and drown in your problems. Next.

2 hours ago, dans said:

You are a hypocrite with a very short memory. Remember a few months ago when you criticized me because I said the Cadets had a very good percussion section? Poor Crown fan...you should experience what it is like to be a Cadets fan!

Again, THAT WAS NOT ME! Seriously, I challenge you go to back and find out where I said that. I told you that wasn't me then, and I'm saying the exact same thing now. Someone would be down right stupid to say Cadets doesn't have a good percussion section. So, go find the post where I said that PLEASE, for the love of God, so we can finally end that debate. 

As for being a Cadets fan, trust me, I am. I just can't deal with the legacy fans in their thread. It's a bit too much for me. Lol.

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, runyancm said:

Okay, back to the show.  It's taken a little time, but it usually does for me.  I am started to get more excited about this show as I develop an interpretation that works for me.  It's not fully formed, but it's a start.  I must admit, with the amount of snark and bad mojo in this thread, I am a bit reluctant, but what the hell.

Opening statement:  A beastly proclamation of dominance.  Whatever, it's Crown playing Bruckner so I'm sold.
Second movement:  I view this as a hunt.  I get the sense of lurking, prowling, looking for prey.  Lots of fits and starts (pouncing), eventually with a successful kill/capture. 
Ballad:  This took me a bit, but when I read the lyrics, it occurred to me that the song is about fear of trusting someone, similar to how an animal is fearful of trusting anyone, especially humans.  They may feel a pull to connect, but their instincts are telling them they will be hurt, so they are resistant.  I think the arrangement works well with this concept, and appears to suggest a connection made, but with a bit of foreshadowed doom at that end.

Second half I am a little fuzzier on, I do think that there is some sort of competition, perhaps a challenge of the earlier stated dominance, and than a ritual of some kind.  I am baffled by the closer right now, to be honest.  Like I said, not a fully formed interpretation.  Frankly, I doubt the closer if fully formed, either.

As for the props, I simply see the bones as set pieces, and I am not bothered by that like many others are.  Frankly, I find restaging of props distracting.  For Nessie, I don't think there is any magic here.  Seems to be part of the ritual aspect, I think it goes well with the Newman piece.  It does not bother me too much if that is all there is to it, because it's an effective set piece when it is not being used (vs trampolines).

Anyway, that is what I have so far.  It's amazing how much more you can enjoy a show when you can find a context that works for you.  I am buying much more of it now than I was two weeks ago.  Looking forward to see how it develops. 

I can see that, and that's basically the same as my interpretation. Then again, I getam the feeling of we (the audience) is the prey, and Crown is the Beast. 

3 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I can see that, and that's basically the same as my interpretation. Then again, I getam the feeling of we (the audience) is the prey, and Crown is the Beast. 

This is a show, very much like last years, that is going to have different meanings and interpretations to different people. I personally see the show as an internal beast inside a person and not about an actual animal. Almost a kind of Jekyll vs Hyde kind of thing. That’s just me though.