Carolina Crown 2018

Had surgery on Friday so I was bummed I couldn't see drum corps in my own backyard Saturday. Crown's show hasn't changed much beyond adding the closer. They have a nice break coming up between July 10th and 14th. Really hoping for some additions and layering in order to widen the gap between Boston and catch up to Coats. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, palmettomello said:

Had surgery on Friday so I was bummed I couldn't see drum corps in my own backyard Saturday. Crown's show hasn't changed much beyond adding the closer. They have a nice break coming up between July 10th and 14th. Really hoping for some additions and layering in order to widen the gap between Boston and catch up to Coats. 

Same. I'm seeing them at NKY on the 14th, so I'll be able to confirm whether they have or not. It's the one time I get to see drum corps live each season, and the only time I get to see Crown live so I soak up every millisecond. Lol.

Edited by Incognito365

2 hours ago, palmettomello said:

hope you are mending well and feeling better.

One year on tour I had a burst appendix with complications four days before Finals. I may know how you feel.

• Like 1

I love Crown, and still stand by this show, but they have a lot of work to do. Last week was okay to say that all they need to do is clean and layer, but it is getting down to crunch time. Boston tied them tonight, and that has been a result that has been coming for the past few days. Not sure if they just had an off night with the weather delay, but they need to kick it into gear after their free day tomorrow, which seems to be much needed as some people pointed out that they looked tired. With that being said, I love Crown and this show has medal contention written all over it. Time to unleash the real Beast!

Edited by TigerBaritone19

Waiting for this show to click for me.  It's got some of their trademark moments, and competitive captions (percussion, man... wow) but it still feels really disjointed.  The ballad continues to puzzle me.  Yanks me right out of the show... I start hearing the lyrics in my head and just can't see how it remotely ties into the theme at all.  Was hoping the new closer would help bring things together, but no....

Certainly time for them to figure it out.  I'm not usually a believer in the show until August (or even after the season ends), so I'm sure it will get there eventually.

• Like 2

From Webster Dictionary...

• beast (noun): a four-footed mammal as distinguished from a human being, a lower vertebrate, and an invertebrate

How do the lizard costumes match this?  

Edited by snare_guy_83
  • Haha 1

Here's what I've gathered from this show.

- The Beast is the prop. 

- The corps is the prey.

- The guard are tribal hunters.

- Opener is the the introduction the beast and the prey running in fear, the hunters on the hunt.

- The ballad is the calm before the storm, could also be a love story between the male and female tribesman/hunters.

- The 3rd movement is them hunting down the beast, and Blow It Up, Start Again is the battle between the hunters and the beast.

- The closer is the beast being slayed. I think the green silks are possibly the blood of the beast.

-The "beast" movement that the corps makes throughout the show is the prey hissing, like warnings to the beast.

At least that's my take on the show anyways. Hope this helps people.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2018 at 5:34 PM, Incognito365 said:

Which will come with the layering I believe.

I have seen a lot mentioned about “layering”. however, I don’t seem to understand what you’re talking about and it almost seems like an excuse. (No offense) So I’m just curious as to what exactly you mean when you say that Crown only needs to “layer” to put them back to where they usually stand...

6 minutes ago, Fire king. said:

I have seen a lot mentioned about “layering”. however, I don’t seem to understand what you’re talking about and it almost seems like an excuse. (No offense) So I’m just curious as to what exactly you mean when you say that Crown only needs to “layer” to put them back to where they usually stand...

Layering is the changes that the show goes through every year. The show that you see at finals is completely different than what you see at the preview show. Adding sets, removing them, adding and taking from the music, etc. It helps boost the score especially when they make the right changes, and they usually do.

Edited by Incognito365