Carolina Crown 2018

11 hours ago, wilme861 said:

But...there’s a crown at the end of the ballad already...

I think you mean jesters hat. It's a common mistake. Lmao. I do think they could fold the beast set into a crown for the last set. We shall see. I missed the traditional Crown last year and I'm hoping it makes a comeback this year.

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

I think you mean jesters hat. It's a common mistake. Lmao. I do think they could fold the beast set into a crown for the last set. We shall see. I missed the traditional Crown last year and I'm hoping it makes a comeback this year.

Why would it be a jester's hat?

2 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Why would it be a jester's hat?

It's called a joke...

Because it looks more like a jesters hat than a crown...

:lol:

3 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

It's called a joke...

Because it looks more like a jesters hat than a crown...

:lol:

Gotcha. I actually like Jeff using these more "hidden" crown shapes instead of the usual crown drill we saw from Leon May but that's just me.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Gotcha. I actually like Jeff using these more "hidden" crown shapes instead of the usual crown drill we saw from Leon May but that's just me.

The traditional crown had just become tradition and I miss it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ccklinefelter said:

Lots of traditions in DCI are changing nowadays. For better or for worse

I know... I'm still gonna hold out for it to make a comeback though. It will be missed...

• Like 2

A few observations after watching some of the Texas shows on youtube. The set before the beast horns/ears/whatever it is in the opening has never been clean and they have yet to change that drill for some reason. There has to be another way to get into the beast set without that weird semi-circle set that is not clean. Also, I noticed some messed up visuals from the brass while watching San Antonio on Flo's multi cam (kind of odd). Their feet in the closer are....not good. They are marching fast at some points and slower at some points during that movement, but when they are marching fast it is a mess. Other than guard I think that these could be things affecting their visual scores. Just some observations I had. Go get 'em tonight Crown! Close that gap some more!

Having finally seen the show live... it's fine.  The Texas band kids sure love Crown, too.  :)  It has some nice moments throughout, but as a long-time DCI fan, the pacing of the show is just slightly off.  The opener has a ton of energy and life and then they finally let the horns loose, then the back half of the opener just kind of dies.  The ballad is just awesome, and of course the ramp steals the show, but it does make the closer feel tacked on, as the big finish doesn't end as big as the song before.  It's hard to quibble with a show in 4th, so I'll let it go and enjoy the good bits - the brass of course is stellar, and the drumline stompy-thing just killed me every time they did it - how do you shake that much and still get consistent notes out? 

Mike