Carolina Crown 2018

1 hour ago, DasTuba said:

Watched video of the standstill performance in Salem. That percussion is REALLY entertaining to watch! They look like they're having a lot of fun with this show.

The brass sounds incredible as always, the ballad is just beautiful. For me personally, I think the end of the ballad is going to go down as one of the greatest brass moments in the history of DCI. That is truly a special moment! That chord alone is enough to get me on my feet.

I agree...They had just added that end to the ballad before their Bentonville performance so I was taken completely off guard...enough sp to look at the lady sitting next to me that  I didn't know and shared an astonished expression. There were plenty of really good brass bits before that, but nothing before or after the ballad ending matched it's power.....at least IMO

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, msumello said:

I agree...They had just added that end to the ballad before their Bentonville performance so I was taken completely off guard...enough sp to look at the lady sitting next to me that  I didn't know and shared an astonished expression. There were plenty of really good brass bits before that, but nothing before or after the ballad ending matched it's power.....at least IMO

Umm, they added the new ballad ending during the 4 rehearsal days before the NKY show. My posts after said show will prove that.

1 hour ago, msumello said:

I had heard it before and already thought it was really special. It seemed to my ears there was a purity to their sound in Salem that was even more impressive. It truly reached that dark, rich, symphonic sound I love so much. One reason I have trouble getting into jazz is the brightness in the sound most of the time. 

There is no better sound than a good low brass section IMO. And the reason they achieved such a sound was their use of the trombones. When done right, there is no sound more glorious than a good low brass section letting loose like that!

Even more impressive is a good number of those kids playing trombone during that, are trumpet and Mello players!

When it's all said and done, that's the sound I live for! I can't begin to describe how disappointed I am that I won't get to hear that ballad live :unhappy:

Edited by DasTuba

2 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Umm, they added the new ballad ending during the 4 rehearsal days before the NKY show. My posts after said show will prove that.

Well I hadn't seen/heard it until I saw them live in Bentonville  so I just assumed they added it before that show.. And I don't follow this thread so i woulda had no idea you said that in your post. I wasn't trying to contradict you about it so you  shouldn't have to prove anything to me. . 

2 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

They actually added it at Valdosta!

• Haha 1

Anybody inclined to do any handicapping for Crown this evening?

9 hours ago, DasTuba said:

I had heard it before and already thought it was really special. It seemed to my ears there was a purity to their sound in Salem that was even more impressive. It truly reached that dark, rich, symphonic sound I love so much. One reason I have trouble getting into jazz is the brightness in the sound most of the time. 

There is no better sound than a good low brass section IMO. And the reason they achieved such a sound was their use of the trombones. When done right, there is no sound more glorious than a good low brass section letting loose like that!

Even more impressive is a good number of those kids playing trombone during that, are trumpet and Mello players!

When it's all said and done, that's the sound I live for! I can't begin to describe how disappointed I am that I won't get to hear that ballad live :unhappy:

There's a great jazz song called True North by Mike Dana. There's a lot of good jazz in the ECM style (although this is coming from me, a jazz guy).

Also, I agree 100% percent with that low brass statement. They add girth to the sound in a way trumpets and mellos cannot.

In my experience, moving down a mouthpiece size is much easier than going up, so it can't have been too difficult for technique, but the tone is a whole different thing.

• Like 2

I wonder if they still have some sick kids. Was hoping they'd hit the 93 point mark tonight. 

8 minutes ago, msumello said:

I wonder if they still have some sick kids. Was hoping they'd hit the 93 point mark tonight. 

Yes they do. Hopefully all members are back to full strength by Saturday.  They did a great job tonight toughing it out and performing. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, karuna said:

Yes they do. Hopefully all members are back to full strength by Saturday.  They did a great job tonight toughing it out and performing. 

That's what I was thinking.