Carolina Crown 2018

Crown needs to improve their giant rolling prop. I watched two kids take a fall on it during the show, and after the show, at least 2 more kids took a pretty hard fall (fall + slide + hit the railing).

Edit: the show is very good overall, though definitely a notch below the top 3 from what I saw

Edited by soccerguy315

59 minutes ago, ccklinefelter said:

Visual proficiency is more of the cleanliness side of the visual section. Analysis is likely more how well it works in context, which really falls mostly on the designers, as opposed to the performers. Although a bad or good performance will still make an impact.

IMO that VA number is all about whether the judge is buying what Crown is selling.  For example: the 3 note stomp motif. It’s very distinctive musically and but instead of a simple and obvious flag moment you see the stomp depicted across the ensemble in  more organic forms.  Same can be said  across all the visual choices from flags to uniforms to color palette .    Some judges are buying it and some are saying no.  This a show that is all about details and you need to take note of the details to fully understand it.  

Some judges have completely changed their minds about this show and some have not.  I was certainly very skeptical for a good portion of the season. Some of the choices just seemed so obviously wrong. But after listening to the designers explain the show and their thought process behind it,  I am more open to the choices they’ve made. Is a show you need to see 3 or 4 times a good thing?  Don’t know. But the past two years have been extraordinarily different shows for Crown.  Unconventional for sure. And not the (sometimes painfully) obvious designs of the previous design team.  Change is good!

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

I watched the BEAST in Allentown last night and can say it was the best performance of the year. Everyone was back and the corps was healthy. The visual aspect of the show has cleaned up dramatically (with more work to do). While I may be in the minority I see them as a threat to medal. The Ohio show will certainly indicate how likely this may be. Great job Crown. Now FINISH STRONG!

• Like 2

It's a SHOW DAY! Time to UNLEASH the BEAST in Pittsburg! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MusicManNJ said:

I watched the BEAST in Allentown last night and can say it was the best performance of the year. Everyone was back and the corps was healthy. The visual aspect of the show has cleaned up dramatically (with more work to do). While I may be in the minority I see them as a threat to medal. The Ohio show will certainly indicate how likely this may be. Great job Crown. Now FINISH STRONG!

I'm with you in that medaling minority, though it would likely be the result of a stellar Crown run [IF they're still sitting @4th] and a subpar performance by the 3rd seed on Saturday night. 

Recent examples would be 'Coats leap frogging Cadets for silver in '14 and BD edging out Crown for gold in '15.

Longshot? Perhaps. But that's why they "play'em"...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

I'm with you in that medaling minority, though it would likely be the result of a stellar Crown run [IF they're still sitting @4th] and a subpar performance by the 3rd seed on Saturday night. 

Recent examples would be 'Coats leap frogging Cadets for silver in '14 and BD edging out Crown for gold in '15.

Longshot? Perhaps. But that's why they "play'em"...

And let's not forget Cavies leaping over Blooo last year. And I agree... that is why they make them perform! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MusicManNJ said:

And let's not forget Cavies leaping over Blooo last year. And I agree... that is why they make them perform! 

I think that last year the design differences between Cavies and Bloo were slight to non-existent. The design differences between Bloo and Crown this year are insurmountable IMHO. Crown visual design is the 6th or 7th place. I'm honestly pretty shocked that BAC isn't closer to them if not beating them.

I'm sure you don't agree but that is why we call them opinions. :)

14 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

I think that last year the design differences between Cavies and Bloo were slight to non-existent. The design differences between Bloo and Crown this year are insurmountable IMHO. Crown visual design is the 6th or 7th place. I'm honestly pretty shocked that BAC isn't closer to them if not beating them.

You are correct... we do not agree. We are seeing visual improve dramatically over the past week and the musical demand is greater to Crown's advantage. If GE continues to close (as it has been)... Brass and Percussion should offset the Visual difference (Bloo being 6th or 7th in drums where they have been most of the season). Great thing is... we will know soon enough. Now how about the battle for 6th (and I do not mean Cavies and BAC)?

16 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

While I would agree that BAC has a better visual program than Crown this year, and potentially guard, that's where it ends. Crown is still (for the most part) in another tier as far as peformer talent goes, at least IMO. I do love the shows from BAC this year and last year though. 

• Like 1