Carolina Crown 2018

20 minutes ago, karuna said:

Lol 3rd place a miss. Man there are a lot corps that would kill to get a miss like that :crazy:

I mean if you want to carry the narrow-minded view that placement is everything, then sure. 

Cadets have had some high placing shows in the past and those have also been a miss in terms of design, the supremely talented members are what redeemed the shows. 

The crown design team is still finding it's way, but this year was a big step in the right direction after last year 

Generally, we that frequent this thread are Crown family, and on occasion might have to “agree to disagree”on one point or another.

At the end of the day—or season as it will be in 120 hrs—we share a common interest: for CC to put out a quality program. Preferably a medal contender, but failing that one that will continue the tradition of excellence we’ve come to expect, especially over the past decade.

Win, place, show, whatever.

Always Crown...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2018 at 12:36 PM, karuna said:

IMO that VA number is all about whether the judge is buying what Crown is selling.  For example: the 3 note stomp motif. It’s very distinctive musically and but instead of a simple and obvious flag moment you see the stomp depicted across the ensemble in  more organic forms.  Same can be said  across all the visual choices from flags to uniforms to color palette .    Some judges are buying it and some are saying no.  This a show that is all about details and you need to take note of the details to fully understand it.  

Some judges have completely changed their minds about this show and some have not.  I was certainly very skeptical for a good portion of the season. Some of the choices just seemed so obviously wrong. But after listening to the designers explain the show and their thought process behind it,  I am more open to the choices they’ve made. Is a show you need to see 3 or 4 times a good thing?  Don’t know. But the past two years have been extraordinarily different shows for Crown.  Unconventional for sure. And not the (sometimes painfully) obvious designs of the previous design team.  Change is good!

I give them credit for trying new things, and I've enjoyed the last two year's shows.  However, veering a tad towards conventional for next year might be a good...... change. 

Because change is good. 

Just now, wigwam said:

I give them credit for trying new things, and I've enjoyed the last two year's shows.  However, veering a tad towards conventional for next year might be a good...... change. 

Because change is good. 

I guess we’ll have to wait and see.  I don’t necessarily disagree with your point of view but I’m also intrigued with the current direction. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I mean if you want to carry the narrow-minded view that placement is everything, then sure. 

Cadets have had some high placing shows in the past and those have also been a miss in terms of design, the supremely talented members are what redeemed the shows. 

The crown design team is still finding it's way, but this year was a big step in the right direction after last year 

I’m sorry to disagree. No amount of performance will carry you to a medal without a design vehicle to get you there.  The sheets won’t let your design outgrow your content by that much.   Medaling is a very high standard. 

Just now, xandandl said:

What?  Careful there Cappy or you'll lose your BD honk membership.

Believe it or not, I came into drum corps loving Crown and Phantom and hating BD :laughing:

My tastes changed, I'd still love BD's shows even if they werent medaling

Just now, karuna said:

I’m sorry to disagree. No amount of performance will carry you to a medal without a design vehicle to get you there.  The sheets won’t let your design outgrow your content by that much.   Medaling is a very high standard. 

Just give up. We get it. You disagree. Move on for Christ sake...and everyone else's. Lol.

• Like 1

Looks like the OTT can still be gOTT:91_thumbsup:

• Like 1