Carolina Crown 2018

14 hours ago, ndrudy2013 said:

On my way to Indy to see the BEAST.  Let's have a great performance tonight.

9 hours ago, defeldus2 said:

Have a great finals week Crown. I'll be about 8 rows back screaming for every big hit.

Any analysis/observations/vicarious Crown honking on behalf of the uncashed masses, that can only be their online and in spirit would be most appreciated:73_japanese_ogre:

• Like 1

Am I really the first one to an update on how they were? Well...watched them in the theaters..I absolutely love Crown...but they seemed a bit off tonight... I'm ecstatic that they kept in fourth. If they pushed themselves tomorrow to really kick it up...who knows. They had an electrical problem that caused a wait. The percussion...what a beast. The brass...as usual, they were phenomenal, but I could tell SCV was a bit better than them tonight...so I wasn't surprised they came in  second. That said, I think they'll turn that around and take it again this year.  Whether Crown can catch Bloo by finals....I'm a bit doubtful but it's not out of the possibility. A lot of people seated around me liked Crown a lot more than BD or Bloo. It seemed SCV, BAC and Crown were the crowd favorites in my theater. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, msumello said:

Am I really the first one to an update on how they were? Well...watched them in the theaters..I absolutely love Crown...but they seemed a bit off tonight... I'm ecstatic that they kept in fourth. If they pushed themselves tomorrow to really kick it up...who knows. They had an electrical problem that caused a wait. The percussion...what a beast. The brass...as usual, they were phenomenal, but I could tell SCV was a bit better than them tonight...so I wasn't surprised they came in  second. That said, I think they'll turn that around and take it again this year.  Whether Crown can catch Bloo by finals....I'm a bit doubtful but it's not out of the possibility. A lot of people seated around me liked Crown a lot more than BD or Bloo. It seemed SCV, BAC and Crown were the crowd favorites in my theater. 

FINALLY! Someone giving some info! Lol. The thread, as well as the prelims thread, have been dead all night...thank you! Lol. Any word on this $100,000 prop for Boston? I haven't heard anything else about it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

FINALLY! Someone giving some info! Lol. The thread, as well as the prelims thread, have been dead all night...thank you! Lol. Any word on this $100,000 prop for Boston? I haven't heard anything else about it.

There's no way what they added was that much...basically it was a large shiny blue cloth that....this might sound familiar...but flowed over the corps a the very end...and when it passed over them all the way the corps was hidden ...as if gone...to me...it felt just like the end of Crown 2015....though instead of the corps forming a crown...BAC's member just hid under another layer of fabric. In the theater, Crown, SCV, BAC, and Cadets got the most positive responses from those sitting around me. Something major would have to go wrong for BAC to catch Crown by finals...I don't think it'll happen. I find it more likely that Crown could edge out Bluecoats...but I'm being kinda prejudice there. I don't like Bluecoats show at all. It seems I'm one of the very few that feels that way.

I guess I could go a little more into what I saw from Crown. I said it in my previous post but I thought they sounded a bit off throughout the show. Nothing too noticable I guess but it kept getting better as the show went on. The percussion seemed to overpower the brass in the opener more than I've heard before, but I think it enhanced it greatly. . Saw a couple of rifle drops. The brass played together very well..as usual. The ballad was amazing...those flag/ropes during it made it look messy...they had the entire season to fix that and yet. I'll leave that there....but the end of the ballad ..That...was just incredible...probably my favorite moment out all fifteen corps that performed. The rocking beast bit was great. I had an older couple sitting in front of me and they just shook their heads back and forth, then stopped as the close up of the five rifles spinning together while rocking, they looked at each other, then shook their heads again...lol...it was clear they didn't expect to see that.  The ending was much better received because of the high camera shot showing the face of the beast. When you sit down low you can't really tell what those three triangular flags have on them...the eyes, and the maw. 

I may be wrong on some or all of it...but I stand by it and still think they could, though unlikely, beat Bluecoats...I honestly think the brass will get it together the next two days and take the Ott..looking at the weighted brass score in the rankings Crowns' brass score is 19.715, while SCV's is 19.125. Not much space there. It could go either way. But I have a feeling Crown will do it. Overall the show is fun, great brass bits, the percussion is the best Crown's ever had. The visuals have improved so much over the season, and though the marks they're getting are lower that usual, they embrace it with the same amount energy as they would no matter the ranking from top to bottom....

Well there's a bit more of my in depth thoughts.....too much?

• Thanks 5

3 hours ago, msumello said:

There's no way what they added was that much...basically it was a large shiny blue cloth that....this might sound familiar...but flowed over the corps a the very end...and when it passed over them all the way the corps was hidden ...as if gone...to me...it felt just like the end of Crown 2015....though instead of the corps forming a crown...BAC's member just hid under another layer of fabric. In the theater, Crown, SCV, BAC, and Cadets got the most positive responses from those sitting around me. Something major would have to go wrong for BAC to catch Crown by finals...I don't think it'll happen. I find it more likely that Crown could edge out Bluecoats...but I'm being kinda prejudice there. I don't like Bluecoats show at all. It seems I'm one of the very few that feels that way.

I guess I could go a little more into what I saw from Crown. I said it in my previous post but I thought they sounded a bit off throughout the show. Nothing too noticable I guess but it kept getting better as the show went on. The percussion seemed to overpower the brass in the opener more than I've heard before, but I think it enhanced it greatly. . Saw a couple of rifle drops. The brass played together very well..as usual. The ballad was amazing...those flag/ropes during it made it look messy...they had the entire season to fix that and yet. I'll leave that there....but the end of the ballad ..That...was just incredible...probably my favorite moment out all fifteen corps that performed. The rocking beast bit was great. I had an older couple sitting in front of me and they just shook their heads back and forth, then stopped as the close up of the five rifles spinning together while rocking, they looked at each other, then shook their heads again...lol...it was clear they didn't expect to see that.  The ending was much better received because of the high camera shot showing the face of the beast. When you sit down low you can't really tell what those three triangular flags have on them...the eyes, and the maw. 

I may be wrong on some or all of it...but I stand by it and still think they could, though unlikely, beat Bluecoats...I honestly think the brass will get it together the next two days and take the Ott..looking at the weighted brass score in the rankings Crowns' brass score is 19.715, while SCV's is 19.125. Not much space there. It could go either way. But I have a feeling Crown will do it. Overall the show is fun, great brass bits, the percussion is the best Crown's ever had. The visuals have improved so much over the season, and though the marks they're getting are lower that usual, they embrace it with the same amount energy as they would no matter the ranking from top to bottom....

Well there's a bit more of my in depth thoughts.....too much?

Unfortunately, weighted brass scores aren't used to compute caption awards, but the average of the actual brass scores each night.

So far:  SCV 19.35  CC 19.30

Crown has to make up that 0.05 and then stay ahead of the pack the rest of the weekend. I'm pulling that they do.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, nsxanax said:

Any analysis/observations/vicarious Crown honking on behalf of the uncashed masses, that can only be their online and in spirit would be most appreciated:73_japanese_ogre:

Crown was good but not great last night. I thought the brass & percussion were very good, they cleaned up a lot visually but I saw a lot of drops in the guard and the rope flags in the ballad were messy. I still think that crown takes the Ott trophy, their sound is just amazing and their control & balance is superb(IMO). The crowd seemed smaller than usual and was a little subdued last night but I think it was just due to a long day. I expect Crown to come out with more energy and a better performance tonight, I don’t think they can catch Blue Coats but I think they can close the gap. Crown is better or just as good as anyone in the top 3 musically but they are not there visually or design wise and that needs to change next year and I’ll give you my thoughts on that next week but for now I’m going to enjoy the last two nights of the BEAST!!

• Thanks 1