Carolina Crown 2018

9 hours ago, msumello said:

There's no way what they added was that much...basically it was a large shiny blue cloth that....this might sound familiar...but flowed over the corps a the very end...and when it passed over them all the way the corps was hidden ...as if gone...to me...it felt just like the end of Crown 2015....though instead of the corps forming a crown...BAC's member just hid under another layer of fabric. In the theater, Crown, SCV, BAC, and Cadets got the most positive responses from those sitting around me. Something major would have to go wrong for BAC to catch Crown by finals...I don't think it'll happen. I find it more likely that Crown could edge out Bluecoats...but I'm being kinda prejudice there. I don't like Bluecoats show at all. It seems I'm one of the very few that feels that way.

I guess I could go a little more into what I saw from Crown. I said it in my previous post but I thought they sounded a bit off throughout the show. Nothing too noticable I guess but it kept getting better as the show went on. The percussion seemed to overpower the brass in the opener more than I've heard before, but I think it enhanced it greatly. . Saw a couple of rifle drops. The brass played together very well..as usual. The ballad was amazing...those flag/ropes during it made it look messy...they had the entire season to fix that and yet. I'll leave that there....but the end of the ballad ..That...was just incredible...probably my favorite moment out all fifteen corps that performed. The rocking beast bit was great. I had an older couple sitting in front of me and they just shook their heads back and forth, then stopped as the close up of the five rifles spinning together while rocking, they looked at each other, then shook their heads again...lol...it was clear they didn't expect to see that.  The ending was much better received because of the high camera shot showing the face of the beast. When you sit down low you can't really tell what those three triangular flags have on them...the eyes, and the maw. 

I may be wrong on some or all of it...but I stand by it and still think they could, though unlikely, beat Bluecoats...I honestly think the brass will get it together the next two days and take the Ott..looking at the weighted brass score in the rankings Crowns' brass score is 19.715, while SCV's is 19.125. Not much space there. It could go either way. But I have a feeling Crown will do it. Overall the show is fun, great brass bits, the percussion is the best Crown's ever had. The visuals have improved so much over the season, and though the marks they're getting are lower that usual, they embrace it with the same amount energy as they would no matter the ranking from top to bottom....

Well there's a bit more of my in depth thoughts.....too much?

I'm starting to feel like Boston's design is going to be a "one trick pony" sort of deal. The fire prop and now tarp a la Crown 2015...I'm sure I'll get flak for that. Lol.

I hope they catch Bluecoats as well. Not a fan of the show or the 60 shotgun mics I was told they have on the field during the NKY show.

I love this show, but I think they need to change it up in the visual design department. It didn't work last year or this year. I'll be watching the stream tonight, but wasn't able to get tickets for last night. 

SIC 'EM, BEAST!!! GO CROWN!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Made it to Indy! Went to Crown rehearsal. They definitely are not pleased with the run last night (back stage issues, delay creating a slow start). Expecting no issues today with electronics nor the back stage issues. Still a chance to catch Bloo and the Ott with two great runs. It all starts tonight. RELEASE THE BEST! GO CROWN!

• Like 6

I also made to Indy and cannot wait for the Beast to take the field.  I'll provide my thoughts later tonight on Crown's performance.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MusicManNJ said:

Made it to Indy! Went to Crown rehearsal. They definitely are not pleased with the run last night (back stage issues, delay creating a slow start). Expecting no issues today with electronics nor the back stage issues. Still a chance to catch Bloo and the Ott with two great runs. It all starts tonight. RELEASE THE BEST! GO CROWN!

That confirms how I felt about last night’s run. Good news, though, in spite of a mess-than-stellar run, they are only 5/100’s behind SCV’s brass and within reasonable striking distance of a medal. 

GO CROWN!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I'm starting to feel like Boston's design is going to be a "one trick pony" sort of deal. The fire prop and now tarp a la Crown 2015...I'm sure I'll get flak for that. Lol.

I hope they catch Bluecoats as well. Not a fan of the show or the 60 shotgun mics I was told they have on the field during the NKY show.

I love this show, but I think they need to change it up in the visual design department. It didn't work last year or this year. I'll be watching the stream tonight, but wasn't able to get tickets for last night. 

There is no way Bloo has 60 shotgun mics out there 

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

There is no way Bloo has 60 shotgun mics out there 

Reading these posts are so funny!  Bloo’s guard dances with microphone stands, that’s why it looks like they have so many mics on the field!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Go Crown!!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

Reading these posts are so funny!  Bloo’s guard dances with microphone stands, that’s why it looks like they have so many mics on the field!!!!

Came from a guy who has insider info. I'd believe him before I would anybody on here, especially with the argument over the mics and Bluecoats a few years ago. Regardless, even if they didn't have mics, I still wouldn't like the show. Haven't liked anything from Bluecoats since 2013. :guinesssmilie:

Back to Crown, the .9 deficit (I'm rounding, no bueno at math) can be made up tonight and then some. Especially if they had a sub par performance last night (and even with it, they still almost 2 full points ahead of Boston :blow:). Brass is still within reach, percussion is still within reach...I just wish this show had a different design package. If they did, I believe this show would be vying for gold.

After reading the thoughts after that long post I gave last I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one who thought Crown was a bit off. I really like that they weren't happy with that run last night. It shows they're not giving up and that they can do better. 

I wish dci would broadcast the semifinals in theaters rather than the prelims. It would give everyone a better idea of what to expect for the finals run. 

• Thanks 1