Carolina Crown 2018

I guess I’m a minority in opinion, but just because Crown hasn’t beat Bloo yet or because Boston tied them, doesn’t mean they’re completely out for a medal or, who knows.  So far BD and SCV have been flip flopping and no one has stopped the optimism for either to win. Nothing is said and done. That being said... every non-drum corps person I’ve shown this seasons’ shows to, Crown or SCV has been the favorite. Does it mean anything? Not necessarily, but I would say it means Crown’s show is not NEARLY as awful as so many people on here are out to make it. I don’t know what people want... for the monsters from a quiet place to come out and kill everyone?? Or serpent Satan to come out and convince the judges to give them 1st or something? Have a little fun with it just like the members are and don’t take things too seriously... go Crown

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly. I have no hard feelings. We're all here because we share a common passion, and I only comment on the boards of corps I like the most. 

Well put. Where else can we talk non-stop about our favorite summer activity?

Most people are posting on a given corps’ thread because they care about the corps.  Trash talking a corps is often a form of envy or sour grapes... it’s a badge of honor for a corps to have haters.  

There is more reason for concern when no one talks or posts about a corps anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, lanceengland said:

Most of the criticism I've read seems to be meant as constructive. I must have missed the calls to fire design teams. 

You missed it because, like a lot of overly defensive arguments, an enormous straw man was used. No one has said as such

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Well put. Where else can we talk non-stop about our favorite summer activity?

Most people are posting on a given corps’ thread because they care about the corps.  Trash talking a corps is often a form of envy or sour grapes... it’s a badge of honor for a corps to have haters.  

There is more reason for concern when no one talks or posts about a corps anymore. 

True. We all love the same thing, and I think it's great. Sure is going to be sad next month when it is all over.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

I guess I’m a minority in opinion, but just because Crown hasn’t beat Bloo yet or because Boston tied them, doesn’t mean they’re completely out for a medal or, who knows.  So far BD and SCV have been flip flopping and no one has stopped the optimism for either to win. Nothing is said and done. That being said... every non-drum corps person I’ve shown this seasons’ shows to, Crown or SCV has been the favorite. Does it mean anything? Not necessarily, but I would say it means Crown’s show is not NEARLY as awful as so many people on here are out to make it. I don’t know what people want... for the monsters from a quiet place to come out and kill everyone?? Or serpent Satan to come out and convince the judges to give them 1st or something? Have a little fun with it just like the members are and don’t take things too seriously... go Crown

Well, I don't think it's awful. Not by a long shot. How can it be awful with that hornline? For that reason alone I will always watch Crown. And, come on, even if they finish 6th that's a position a hell of a lot of groups would want to be in. I think it's frustrating because we expect so much out of Crown. I don't think Beast is up to the standards we've seen from Crown since pehaps 2007. I just think it has problems and I just don't get it. I don't understand the point of the white horns on the field when they do absolutely nothing with them, and why are they white? I don't get the point of the tetter-totter. I dont' get what lizard-like uniforms have to do with beast. If someone wants to elighten me, I am certainly open to it. When I think what "beast" means to be, I think loud, fast, aggressive, overpowering, terrifying, and awesome. I just don't get that nearly enough from this show. Again, I'm open to someone educating me on this, and perhaps I will see it in a new light afterwards, but for now I just don't get it, and I'm thinking the judges don't either.

The fact that Bluecoats have steadily pulled away and their lead over BAC has completely evaporated doesn't bode well for Crown medalling. As of DCI Orlando, Crown is likely sitting in a tie for 5th place right now. Once groups start puling away and others start closing in, it's hard to reverse that. The reason people still think, like I do, that right now BD and SCV are the top 2 corps is because the only corps to beat BD is the 2017 runner up, and the only corps to beat SCV is the 2017 World Champion. Plus, BD hasn't finished outside of the top 2 since 2006. So, if you're BD that history bodes well for you, and if you're SCV it bodes very well for you. Until someone beats BD head-to-head I'm always going to think BD is ahead of them.

Edited by queenanne_1536

1 hour ago, karuna said:

Most of this is just band wagon fandom so just ignore it.  People have a primal need to feel part of the herd;  they support the hot hand / darling corps until some other corps becomes the darling (see Bluecoats and now Boston).  I alway chuckle when I read "Crown is one of my favorite corps" followed by "but they are terrible and need to fire their entire design team". 

Of course many are going to jump this comment and deny deny deny.   Ignore them;  deep down they know it's true.  

(Crawling back under my rock . Be back after all the faux outrage has quieted down) 

That's why I only see like, 3 comments on this page. Gotta love the mute option. Lol.

11 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I don't understand the point of the white horns on the field when they do absolutely nothing with them, and why are they white? 

Have you never really seen pictures/paintings/games with elephant graveyards (lion king), kodo graveyard (WoW), etc..? I thought it was pretty obvious what they were, guess not?

1010-LK-Elephant-Graveyard-20x50.jpg

Edited by frachel
  • Like 7

50 minutes ago, lanceengland said:

Most of the criticism I've read seems to be meant as constructive. I must have missed the calls to fire design teams. CC has a killer brass and maybe the strongest drum line they've ever had. I think fans hate to see talent not maximized by sub-optimal design choices.

Personally, I'll stop thinking about scores and placement and just enjoy it for what it is.

A fan shouldn't be speaking negatively about a group of kids. That's been my point this entire time. Don't like the show? Fine. Don't like the design team? Great! Don't talk negatively about the corps itself because they are a group of kids performing a show that was out of their hands to begin with. I'm sure the Crown kids get on here and read exactly what's being said. Sorry, but I know if I was on tour I wouldn't want my corps spoken about the way it's been going on. 

*DISCLAIMER*

I feel this way about every corps, not just Crown. I just don't go trudging into their threads simply because people are rude as hell. I did it here because this thread normally isn't this negative, but it seems some members just can't hold their tongue anymore.

5 minutes ago, frachel said:

Have you never really seen pictures/paintings/games with elephant graveyards (lion king), kodo graveyard (WoW), etc..? I thought it was pretty obvious what they were, guess not?

1010-LK-Elephant-Graveyard-20x50.jpg

Some people are oblivious, and some just choose to be oblivious. The props are literally ribcages. People have said it multiple times on here, but people just choose not to listen. Lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I don't think Beast is up to the standards we've seen from Crown since pehaps 2007.

I don’t think crown’s standards have changed much at all, it’s just the personal preference of the viewer really. 2014, 2017, 2010, and I guess now 2018 have all been shows that people kinda didn’t really “get into” but the standard of crown doesn’t change: good marching, good horns, good guard, increasingly good drumline...other corps are just also getting very good at this as well  

10 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I just think it has problems and I just don't get it. I don't understand the point of the white horns on the field when they do absolutely nothing with them, and why are they white? I don't get the point of the tetter-totter

You could say this literally about every show there’s all kinds of random details that don’t really make sense. Bluecoats neon yellow chairs ... I get it cause Billie Holiday is likely to have sat down at least once... lol but like 12 of them that are neon yellow, it’s just sorta random. They chose to use them more than crown, crown thought the teeth/horns were more of a frame of a painting, just compliment to what you’re supposed to be actually watching imo. Or SCV.. those stacks give nothing “Babylon”-esque, the uniforms do not scream “the fall of a city”  Blue Devils and the random Michael Jackson or Indian percussion break. I could go on. All I’m saying is every corps is doing something extra that nobody gets except the corps and maybe a non-member or two they talk to about throughout the season. 

As for the placements, we’ll just have to see what happens to be honest. People were expecting crown to get 5th last year and they managed to get 3rd with a “sub-standard” crown show. If they clean, layer, edit some things, I don’t see why they won’t do it again. Only catch this year is there’s way more corps bringing it so it’s more competitive imo, but really I think crown is still just as fantastic as ever. 

• Thanks 2