Carolina Crown 2018

Let's face it, Bluecoats' Session 44 could stand still and play for 11 minutes and be amazing. Adding in the giant chairs, used as different types of stages, is pretty cool. Quite similar to what BD has done over the last decade in many respects.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crownie said:

Sacrificed the KY show for the Murfreesboro, TN show this year. Makes me sad I have to wait longer to see some corps but the lineup alone is going to be worth the wait! 

This show is only 37 miles from me, and the Murfreesboro show is like, 4 hours. Otherwise I'd do the same. Lol.

3 hours ago, Box5Opinion said:

Murky is an understatement! The dark color scheme might be hurting them Visual and GE wise. The colorguard uniform and corp uniform easily blend into each other, so lines and forms aren't as clear or in focus as they should be.  There is still ample time to address this.  There are moments of staging and use of multiple focus that have great impact, but it doesn't pop like the jigsaw show concept of Blue Devils, they really know how to use color and how to manipulate the stage area to receive maximum scores, as for the Bluecoats, the use of contrasting colors in props (love the big chairs) and use of color shades in guard and corp uniform, has a huge impact with score in GE and Visual (and the judges are really rewarding them for design). 

Your username says it all for me. 

3 hours ago, bicsta said:

Yeah, that took me a second to figure out.

Also, I hate Rihanna.

If she would just finish her words...

58 minutes ago, TigerBaritone19 said:

but I was referencing past shows that they had done that were off the wall abstract yet people loved it. 

Maybe you haven’t been following drum corps for too long or weren’t present on DCP/social media a while ago. BD, from about 2010-2013, was probably one of the most disliked corps online because of their abstract shows that no one understood but kept winning anyways. They started becoming much more appreciated once they moved AWAY from abstract concepts starting in 2014. This is probably the first year they’ve gone back to something more abstract since 2012 

I agree with the overall sentiment of the rest of your comment though. I do want to point out that Bluecoats’ shows for the most part have been very “simple” abstract concepts in that they try to evoke and create a certain mood or idea rather than present an explicit story. Tilt? Simple enough. Kinetic Noise? What’s there to not understand? Down Side Up? Again very simple and easy to understand what they’re going for. Same thing with Jagged Line. Session 44 may the least clear show they’ve done this era, but I think Bloo is getting a pass because they’re putting out much more high energy music than other corps are. Overall, Bloo’s simplicity with abstract concepts is why I think they tend to get a pass. 

It is likely that very few corps apart from Mandarins will be getting the enthusiastic reception that Bloo and SCV are going to be receiving this season, and I think a lot of that has to do with the energy levels being presented. It’s much easier to excuse a confusing concept (I still don’t understand SCV’s show) when the audience can just enjoy the high energy music and visuals instead. 

I’m not sure if that really responds to your comment very appropriately but those were the first thoughts that came to my head! 

• Like 3

I'm just wondering if they'll eventually bring all of the pieces of the ribcage together to form some form of a beast at the end. They all look to be different sizes and would go great together. Idea Crown design team?

Also, here's what the design team said in a video about what the show is about (per a certain Crownie on Reddit).

Beast Awakens - hello world
Primordial Beast - violent aggressive dark
Taming of the Beast - let's get it on
King of the Beasts - combat, territoriality
Alpha Beast - the beast is the corps!  

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Let's face it, Bluecoats' Session 44 could stand still and play for 11 minutes and be amazing. Adding in the giant chairs, used as different types of stages, is pretty cool. Quite similar to what BD has done over the last decade in many respects.

IMHO the Championship is Coats' to lose...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Maybe you haven’t been following drum corps for too long or weren’t present on DCP/social media a while ago.

I have only been on DCP since 2013-2014, so I wouldn't really know what people have said about BD, but have been watching DCI since 2009. And when I have been on DCP it is just to come to the Crown page and follow show threads

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

I'm just wondering if they'll eventually bring all of the pieces of the ribcage together to form some form of a beast at the end. They all look to be different sizes and would go great together. Idea Crown design team?

Also, here's what the design team said in a video about what the show is about (per a certain Crownie on Reddit).

Beast Awakens - hello world
Primordial Beast - violent aggressive dark
Taming of the Beast - let's get it on
King of the Beasts - combat, territoriality
Alpha Beast - the beast is the corps!  

Quite an interesting breakdown. As of now, I am just not seeing the whole “violent, aggressive, dark” section that they’re referring to in that 2nd movement. There’s nothing aggressive about it, in my opinion of course. 

The rest of the breakdown seems to match up pretty well to the show, however. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Maybe you haven’t been following drum corps for too long or weren’t present on DCP/social media a while ago. BD, from about 2010-2013, was probably one of the most disliked corps online because of their abstract shows that no one understood but kept winning anyways. They started becoming much more appreciated once they moved AWAY from abstract concepts starting in 2014. This is probably the first year they’ve gone back to something more abstract since 2012 

I agree with the overall sentiment of the rest of your comment though. I do want to point out that Bluecoats’ shows for the most part have been very “simple” abstract concepts in that they try to evoke and create a certain mood or idea rather than present an explicit story. Tilt? Simple enough. Kinetic Noise? What’s there to not understand? Down Side Up? Again very simple and easy to understand what they’re going for. Same thing with Jagged Line. Session 44 may the least clear show they’ve done this era, but I think Bloo is getting a pass because they’re putting out much more high energy music than other corps are. Overall, Bloo’s simplicity with abstract concepts is why I think they tend to get a pass. 

It is likely that very few corps apart from Mandarins will be getting the enthusiastic reception that Bloo and SCV are going to be receiving this season, and I think a lot of that has to do with the energy levels being presented. It’s much easier to excuse a confusing concept (I still don’t understand SCV’s show) when the audience can just enjoy the high energy music and visuals instead. 

I’m not sure if that really responds to your comment very appropriately but those were the first thoughts that came to my head! 

I don’t really see this BD show as abstract. It’s a story, much like Dreams. Tougher to tell a story that you are writing, much like Crown last year.