Carolina Crown 2018

4 hours ago, DasTuba said:

Even if Crown doesn't medal this year, I love this show! I believe they're headed in the right direction with the changes they've made so far. I know brass has an off night, I'm certain Matt Harloff will take care of that as he always does. 

But let's talk about this percussion! Wow! Even if they don't medal, how great would it be if Crown took home the Sanford?!

Certainly the drumline is much improved, but I can't possibly see them taking the Sanford with SCV in the mix. I think the top three lines in Indy will be SCV, Crown and either BD/BAC.

4 hours ago, GiveMeLibertyorGiveMeDebt said:

Same!! I'm bringing some buddies who have yet to witness the majesty of DCI live.

I hope Crown blows their hair back.

With that opener... c'mon man. It's those big moments that really draw people in. I never really got into DCI until my friend showed me T/LT, and that closer is what hooked me.

1 hour ago, BostonLUck said:

After watching last night's event, it just seems like this corps is suffering from a case of "great idea on paper, hard to pull off".  The ensemble is strong, from top to bottom, and especially that battery -- good gravy -- that battery! The "Beast" concept sounds cool, it brings a ton of imagery to mind of scary monsters, and of course a growwwwl to match. But AFTER that initial image, what's next? How do you evolve a scary beast and growl? I think that's where Crown is stuck at. Stuck.

I look forward to any additional changes they'll make to round out the design, but unfortunately what we have now is about what we're going to get... which worries me... does Cavaliers & Boston over take them? Both of those corps have designs that allow them room to grow - OR - does Crown's performance quality keep them in a top 4 position simply because of their talent?

I love Crown for the "risk" of this type of design, but I think something a bit more storyboarded would have proved a better choice... but there's a fine line between entertaining and just hokey.

I'm actually not that worried about dropping down. Yeah it could happen but Crown is by far the dirtiest group in the top 6, especially on the visual side of things. Can they catch up to one of the Blue groups once they clean up, yeah it's definitely possible. I'm not counting on it happening but don't count them out just yet. The changes in the ballad made a huge difference for me for that part of the show so who knows what else is up their sleeve.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

I'm actually not that worried about dropping down. Yeah it could happen but Crown is by far the dirtiest group in the top 6, especially on the visual side of things. Can they catch up to one of the Blue groups once they clean up, yeah it's definitely possible. I'm not counting on it happening but don't count them out just yet. The changes in the ballad made a huge difference for me for that part of the show so who knows what else is up their sleeve.

I think they can clean the dirt.  Where that gets them is unknown but I suspect they will be in the medals at the end.  Their challenge will be enhancing part 2 to create a stronger visual connection with their design intent.  IF they pull THAT off,  who knows what may happen.  

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

Those ballad changes sent chills down my spine last night, and it was that low brass at the end that did it. If they keep those kind of changes coming, they will silence the haters that have been putting them down since the first competition

• Like 4

So my two cents from watching the show last night are as follows:

• Crown made a lot of visual body movement/dance changes throughout the show.  I think these are great and are 100% necessary if you want to compete with the big boys, so this is positive in my view. However, they are still not clean which leaves a huge opportunity to score some additional points. But cleaning alone will move them lower in the standings if they take the approach that it will solve all their issues.  

• The ballad, while loved by some, felt very odd to me musically with the new changes.  I guess I was expecting what I have been hearing, so I will need to hear it again, however the visuals added to the ballad really enhance it.   I would love for the tail formation to be coming out of the beast (aka... totter) instead of facing the end zone as it currently is.

• I like the changes to blow it up and start again with all the new guard members riding the totter.  I would figure out more excitement for this moment as it could be even more engaging.  Maybe lots of rifle tosses over the beast from behind it, instead of side to side.  I know they have probably thought of this, but I could see them avoiding it for safety.  I would totally take the risk as I deem the reward high, however they would need to make sure no one accidentally gets hit.    

• They must figure out how to use the totter more in the show.  The biggest opportunity they have in my opinion is to put it on wheels, so it can be moved around the field during the show a various times.  Those wheels should be removable so during the blow it up and start again it’s stable.  For example, if the totter was moving around somehow in the intro and especially the 2nd moment it could potentially add a ton of GE.  They could also move it in and out of the drill at the end and spin it around with a new face on it.

• At least 3 bigger color guard moments are needed.  I have no clue what they would be, but the dragons flying around at the end are ineffective and could be introduced earlier in the show (i.e. the second movement as that part of the show is really dry).  

If I was Crown design staff, I would heavily focus on adding GE to the show as it’s what is creating a huge gap between #1-3, and of course cleaning the heck out of visual/music.  

13 minutes ago, B-Flat said:

So my two cents from watching the show last night are as follows:

• Crown made a lot of visual body movement/dance changes throughout the show.  I think these are great and are 100% necessary if you want to compete with the big boys, so this is positive in my view. However, they are still not clean which leaves a huge opportunity to score some additional points. But cleaning alone will move them lower in the standings if they take the approach that it will solve all their issues.  

• The ballad, while loved by some, felt very odd to me musically with the new changes.  I guess I was expecting what I have been hearing, so I will need to hear it again, however the visuals added to the ballad really enhance it.   I would love for the tail formation to be coming out of the beast (aka... totter) instead of facing the end zone as it currently is.

• I like the changes to blow it up and start again with all the new guard members riding the totter.  I would figure out more excitement for this moment as it could be even more engaging.  Maybe lots of rifle tosses over the beast from behind it, instead of side to side.  I know they have probably thought of this, but I could see them avoiding it for safety.  I would totally take the risk as I deem the reward high, however they would need to make sure no one accidentally gets hit.    

• They must figure out how to use the totter more in the show.  The biggest opportunity they have in my opinion is to put it on wheels, so it can be moved around the field during the show a various times.  Those wheels should be removable so during the blow it up and start again it’s stable.  For example, if the totter was moving around somehow in the intro and especially the 2nd moment it could potentially add a ton of GE.  They could also move it in and out of the drill at the end and spin it around with a new face on it.

• At least 3 bigger color guard moments are needed.  I have no clue what they would be, but the dragons flying around at the end are ineffective and could be introduced earlier in the show (i.e. the second movement as that part of the show is really dry).  

If I was Crown design staff, I would heavily focus on adding GE to the show as it’s what is creating a huge gap between #1-3, and of course cleaning the heck out of visual/music.  

Could not agree more on those last two points!! The 2nd movement is dry as it is right now and needs something to spice it up. 

If they add some wheels on that totter then this show will have wheels 

I just watched the new chord additions to the end of the ballad and in my opinion that is a big improvement. Keep working Crown. We love you!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hughesmr said:

Certainly the drumline is much improved, but I can't possibly see them taking the Sanford with SCV in the mix. I think the top three lines in Indy will be SCV, Crown and either BD/BAC.

SCV for sure is the high benchmark as of late... but I agree the Sanford fight in 2018 is in these 4 (SCV, Crown, BD, BAC).  I do like Crown this year, with a nice win to support their trend (and acknowledging a weird scoring/ranking from Orlando).  Can't wait to see the head to head with SCV.  The possibility for Crown (for the Sanford 2018) is real though. 

Edited by Wog
  • Like 3