Carolina Crown 2018

10 hours ago, msumello said:

I never understood where the whole 6th place thing came from...I never thought for a moment they'd fall that far...the absolute lowest I thought would be 5th.  I still think they could medal. Whether that happens or not it doesn't matter....I've enjoyed this show so much more than "It Is" 

I enjoyed It Is more because I'm all about coloring outside of the lines. I still love this show though. I'm just hoping next year this design team can get it together. I don't think we can handle another "off" season. I do think they can still medal. Remember, last year Bluecoats we're 4th going into Indy, and they dropped to 5th. Sure they're stronger this year, but the Beast is gaining ground fast. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

I enjoyed It Is more because I'm all about coloring outside of the lines. I still love this show though. I'm just hoping next year this design team can get it together. I don't think we can handle another "off" season. I do think they can still medal. Remember, last year Bluecoats we're 4th going into Indy, and they dropped to 5th. Sure they're stronger this year, but the Beast is gaining ground fast. 

Not sure they don't have it together now.   I may have felt that way earlier in the season,  but I'm on board with the new direction they're taking.  They have certainly run in to some judges who still aren't on board,  but we've seen some very significant names "get on board" as the season wore on.   They need to figure out what it's going to take to get the guard judges on board.  I don't think it's excellence / performers.  They are in good shape in that department.  I think the writers need to be willing to bend a little and give the judges a little of they want :-) 

• Like 1

I don’t think Crown ever has issues with judges being “on board.” If anything, they give Crown the benefit of the doubt due to their reputation in brass. 

This year the concept was a miss, and visual never could catch up. I see it like Bluecoats last year, where no matter how much you polish, you are still doing follow the leader too many times. It’s also a case of Boston emerging as a legit medalist threat, and a possible caption winner in guard. This is an area that Crown and Blue Devils have historically dominated.

• Like 2

Just now, MikeRapp said:

I don’t think Crown ever has issues with judges being “on board.” If anything, they give Crown the benefit of the doubt due to their reputation in brass. 

This year the concept was a miss, and visual never could catch up. I see it like Bluecoats last year, where no matter how much you polish, you are still doing follow the leader too many times. It’s also a case of Boston emerging as a legit medalist threat, and a possible caption winner in guard. This is an area that Crown and Blue Devils have historically dominated.

Actually that turns out not to be the case.  Early season there were a LOT of questions being asked.  

As for it being a miss,  well that's your opinion.  If it catches Bloo in Indy,  will it still be a miss?  

As for the Boston guard doing what the CrownGuard used to do well DUH.  It's the old Crown staff and some of their vets.  Interestingly enough CrownGuard was able to take an entirely new staff and a boatload of new members and immediately stay competitive. There is still a bit figuring out left to do in that caption but they have survived the mass exodus quite well.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ndrudy2013 said:

Glad to see their score above 94. When I saw them in Allentown on Saturday night, I thought they lacked some energy so some floor time is much needed for them. I would like to see them above a 94 tonight and close to Blue Coats. Also, I think Thursday is key for them and need to come out with a really good performance. 

Agreed. Although they did have some decent floor time in Nazareth they bug was still clearing out (although they marched nearly a full corps). Good floor time last night and a solid rehearsal today should help. Would also like to see them above 94, close to Bloo (or pass for the fist time this season)  and within 2 of SCV. A brass win and a close second in drums would be excellent as well!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, karuna said:

Actually that turns out not to be the case.  Early season there were a LOT of questions being asked.  

As for it being a miss,  well that's your opinion.  If it catches Bloo in Indy,  will it still be a miss?  

As for the Boston guard doing what the CrownGuard used to do well DUH.  It's the old Crown staff and some of their vets.  Interestingly enough CrownGuard was able to take an entirely new staff and a boatload of new members and immediately stay competitive. There is still a bit figuring out left to do in that caption but they have survived the mass exodus quite well.   

Everything expressed here is an opinion. So lighten up, Francis.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Everything expressed here is an opinion. So lighten up, Francis.

Plenty of time to lighten up, after Saturday night...and the nine months to follow.

'Til then, I'm with Francis:thumbs-up:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, karuna said:

Not sure they don't have it together now.   I may have felt that way earlier in the season,  but I'm on board with the new direction they're taking.  They have certainly run in to some judges who still aren't on board,  but we've seen some very significant names "get on board" as the season wore on.   They need to figure out what it's going to take to get the guard judges on board.  I don't think it's excellence / performers.  They are in good shape in that department.  I think the writers need to be willing to bend a little and give the judges a little of they want :-) 

Regardless of how much I've enjoyed this show, there are some parts that aren't as cohesive as they should be, and this is what I was getting at with that remark. We haven't had a truly cohesive program from Crown in 2 years, and even then some people who were Crownies still found it questionable. This team can put out some stellar shows, but I still feel like they don't have both feet firmly on the ground. It's like the left foots there but the right is hovering a bit.

Edited by Incognito365
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, karuna said:

If it catches Bloo in Indy,  will it still be a miss? 

If they pass Bluecoats in Indy, it will be due to performance and not design. I'm one of the biggest Crownies there is, but there comes a point where you have to admit a weakness in your favorite corps, and for Crown, this year it's design and visual. Visual is catching up, but it's not due to design. It's due to cleaning.

• Like 2