Carolina Crown 2018

12 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Hopefully if they up the difficulty next year it won't be in the form of random runs and double tonguing passages 

Every time you post this you just demonstrate your lack of knowledge. Maybe you should just stop.  

Nearly all the virtuoustic passages Crown plays are right in the source music.  They are neither random nor artificial.  If you want to debate whether some of  those pieces fit the theme this year that’s another discussion. 

• Thanks 5

27 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Hopefully if they up the difficulty next year it won't be in the form of random runs and double tonguing passages 

I tend to be on the same page with Cappybara on a variety of topics, but Karuna’s point certainly has merit.

• Like 1

Okay to make this more interesting, here’s my skin in the game...

Been drooling for a Schilke B6 for ages. Should Crown take the Ott, I’m treating myself, to a horn I can neither merit [for lack of talent] nor justify on my sorta retired, discretionary income.

If they come up short, I’ll throw in a few more coins with my annual Crown contribution, along with reserving the patio, table seating at NightBEAT in ‘19.

Here’s to another Ott for CC, an a low-mixed, only driven on Sundays Schilke for yours truly:wink:

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, karuna said:

Every time you post this you just demonstrate your lack of knowledge. Maybe you should just stop.  

Nearly all the virtuoustic passages Crown plays are right in the source music.  They are neither random nor artificial.  If you want to debate whether some of  those pieces fit the theme this year that’s another discussion. 

Pretty sure Dies Irae didn't have those runs in the source music at all. 

12 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

Okay to make this more interesting, here’s my skin in the game...

Been drooling for a Schilke B6 for ages. Should Crown take the Ott, I’m treating myself, to a horn I can neither merit [for lack of talent] nor justify on my sorta retired, discretionary income.

If they come up short, I’ll throw in a few more coins with my annual Crown contribution, along with reserving the patio, table seating at NightBEAT in ‘19.

Here’s to another Ott for CC, an a low-mixed, only driven on Sundays Schilke for yours truly:wink:

Id choose the nightBEAT seating, that stadium is awesome 

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Pretty sure Dies Irae didn't have those runs in the source music at all. 

And I said nearly all. The Dies Irae was added due to judge comments and was not in the initial arrangements.  Even so that’s the exception not the rule. You should broaden your musical horizons. Brass band literature is replete with difficult technical passages. Your incessant comments about runs and double tonguing is exposing your provincial outlook.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Id choose the nightBEAT seating, that stadium is awesome 

No doubt; gotta be a top five venue on the open air, DCI circuit.

I first upgraded to VIP seating in 2013 and have never looked back. The relocation to BB&T in ‘15 took it—no pun intended—to a new level.

This year we were sitting in what’s become the family’s traditional seats, and the wife commented it might be even nicer to have one of those tables, a few row back from where we sat.

With the family CFO onboard, I’m golden...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, karuna said:

And I said nearly all. The Dies Irae was added due to judge comments and was not in the initial arrangements.  Even so that’s the exception not the rule. You should broaden your musical horizons. Brass band literature is replete with difficult technical passages. Your incessant comments about runs and double tonguing is exposing your provincial outlook.  

Gave up all that after I got to page 9 in Arbans:giljotiini:

8 minutes ago, karuna said:

I'm sorry are people not allowed to have opinions or preferences? I'm sure there are certain styles of music you don't enjoy too. I don't enjoy brass band literature as I think it focuses excessively on the technical. Those difficult technical passages are the exact reason why I don't enjoy it. It takes all the emotion out of the music. And when you put that on the marching field, it sounds like a warm up. 

Disagree with me, but don't try to shut down opinions you're not a fan of. 

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm sorry are people not allowed to have opinions or preferences? I'm sure there are certain styles of music you don't enjoy too. I don't enjoy brass band literature as I think it focuses excessively on the technical. Those difficult technical passages are the exact reason why I don't enjoy it. It takes all the emotion out of the music. And when you put that on the marching field, it sounds like a warm up. 

Disagree with me, but don't try to shut down opinions you're not a fan of. 

Preferences are fine.  But you claim that Crown inserts all those technical passages.  That’s patently false and continuously repeating it won’t make it true.

• Like 2