Carolina Crown 2018

Just now, karuna said:

Preferences are fine.  But you claim that Crown inserts all those technical passages.  That’s patently false and continuously repeating it won’t make it true.

I'll make sure the wording is more adequate next time 

Thank you Carolina Crown for my favorite show musically this year. 

Beautiful, crisp, clean, brass. Absolutely love the all female feature balad. 

Great percussion features finally too!

Even though this show probably won't medal it's my favorite sine Inferno.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

I'll make sure the wording is more adequate next time 

Words are all we’ve got here. 

Crown definitley has a penchant for demonstrating brass virtuosity. And not just with runs and triple tonguing.  Listen their masterful expression in thei ballad.  Amazing delicacy and control.  

• Like 1

Just now, karuna said:

Words are all we’ve got here. 

Crown definitley has a penchant for demonstrating brass virtuosity. And not just with runs and triple tonguing.  Listen their masterful expression in thei ballad.  Amazing delicacy and control.  

I think their ballad is a highlight of the season this year. Some skilled and EMOTIONAL playing. 

Crown demonstrated brass virtuosity even prior to their first Ott, but then at some point along the way (I think starting in 2014) I think they got carried away and lost the style that made me fall in love with them. 

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I think their ballad is a highlight of the season this year. Some skilled and EMOTIONAL playing. 

Crown demonstrated brass virtuosity even prior to their first Ott, but then at some point along the way (I think starting in 2014) I think they got carried away and lost the style that made me fall in love with them. 

2012 has as much technical literature as any year since. Full of runs and multi-tonguing.  

3 minutes ago, karuna said:

2012 has as much technical literature as any year since. Full of runs and multi-tonguing.  

Oh yes I know, but I think the writing was much more natural and emotional sounding that year than the years after. As an example, I believe that long sweeping run Crown did in 2013 was a part of the source music, but I felt like it was very bizarrely woven into the show. 

Just now, Incognito365 said:

I like brass band music.

My favorites on the field are jazz and classical, though I know you're not much of a jazz fan

25 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Oh yes I know, but I think the writing was much more natural and emotional sounding that year than the years after. As an example, I believe that long sweeping run Crown did in 2013 was a part of the source music, but I felt like it was very bizarrely woven into the show. 

Are you fan of Shostakovich?  Paganini?  Chopin?  Schumann?  

11 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I like brass band music.

Puts me in mind of a BOA or some other H.S. competition I attended some years ago, and a fellow near me remarked, “Man, that Beethoven sure wrote some great band music!”

Now, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, as he certainly affected the air of an educated fellow, but the point is well taken. To that end #@$& near everything  [musically] has found its way to the field over the decades.

Starting with PR in ‘89, I credit DCI with expanding my classical universe way beyond the three B’s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1