Carolina Crown 2018

2 minutes ago, karuna said:

Are you fan of Shostakovich?  Paganini?  Chopin?  Schumann?  

Look at the time of those two posts. TOTAL MIND MELD:109_vulcan:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, nsxanax said:

Look at the time of those two posts. TOTAL MIND MELD:109_vulcan:

I really want Cappy to answer that question!    Because all of those guys wrote things that were difficult for the sake of being difficult.  Virtuosity has always been part of the musical landscape. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, karuna said:

Are you fan of Shostakovich?  Paganini?  Chopin?  Schumann?  

I like nearly all classical music but Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, and Tchaikovsky are my favorites 

1 minute ago, karuna said:

I really want Cappy to answer that question!    Because all of those guys wrote things that were difficult for the sake of being difficult.  Virtuosity has always been part of the musical landscape. 

It's not the difficulty of the source music itself but the way you implement it!

Just now, Cappybara said:

I like nearly all classical music but Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Prokofiev, and Tchaikovsky are my favorites 

Shostakovich wrote things that were intentionally difficult (many might say impossible :biggrin:) to play.    Hard for the sake of hard has always been part of the musical landscape.  Virtuosity matters (that would make a GREAT t-shirt).  

• Like 1

Just now, karuna said:

Shostakovich wrote things that were intentionally difficult (many might say impossible :biggrin:) to play.    Hard for the sake of hard has always been part of the musical landscape.  Virtuosity matters (that would make a GREAT t-shirt).  

Again, it's the implementation that matters. Not everything is black and white 

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It's not the difficulty of the source music itself but the way you implement it!

But Klesch's arranging style is  (perhaps more than any other in DCI) completely transparent.  He literally takes the composers work and just orchestrates for marching brass.   No chop and bop.   He's probably more respectful of the original composer's intent than anyone in drum corps.

Edited by karuna
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, karuna said:

You are aware he is the site’s biggest Blue Devils honk, right? BD has been the king of difficult for the sake of being difficult. 

Drum corps is no longer an activity dominated by technical achievement. It is quickly becoming more of a staged show that includes technical achievements, which include challenging musical scores. Where that line is will be determined in part by what fans pay tickets to see, and what the dci members want to perform.

Corps that have succeeded mostly on technical achievement are going to struggle to medal in this new era. Like it or not, just being difficult for the sake of being difficult isn’t going to cut it anymore. What that means is, there is tremendous pressure on show design and concept. You have to have an idea that truly holds up for 11minutes. That means your music has to match the concept. It has to help tell the story. If you just go out there and play Flight of the Bumblebees for 11 minutes, you may win the Ott but you aren’t gonna medal.

No corps has mastered the art and science of brass sound and execution as Crown has. When they put a show on the field that matches their proficiency in brass, they are almost impossible to beat. Inferno and E=MC2 are perfect examples. But when the concept stumbles, as it has the last two years, all those notes tend to stick out as show-off moments that don’t really work to help the show.

And before you jump on me, as you have with anyone who dares to criticize Crown, Cappybara will tell you that I have levied these exact crticicsms of BD over the years. They have been the masters of musical show offs. When their show concepts actually take center stage, as they did with Tempest and Dreams, they are literally unbeatable. Music has to support the concept. It can’t just be as many notes as you can possibly play.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

You are aware he is the site’s biggest Blue Devils honk, right? BD has been the king of difficult for the sake of being difficult. 

Drum corps is no longer an activity dominated by technical achievement. It is quickly becoming more of a staged show that includes technical achievements, which include challenging musical scores. Where that line is will be determined in part by what fans pay tickets to see, and what the dci members want to perform.

Corps that have succeeded mostly on technical achievement are going to struggle to medal in this new era. Like it or not, just being difficult for the sake of being difficult isn’t going to cut it anymore. What that means is, there is tremendous pressure on show design and concept. You have to have an idea that truly holds up for 11minutes. That means your music has to match the concept. It has to help tell the story. If you just go out there and play Flight of the Bumblebees for 11 minutes, you may win the Ott but you aren’t gonna medal.

No corps has mastered the art and science of brass sound and execution as Crown has. When they put a show on the field that matches their proficiency in brass, they are almost impossible to beat. Inferno and E=MC2 are perfect examples. But when the concept stumbles, as it has the last two years, all those notes tend to stick out as show-off moments that don’t really work to help the show.

And before you jump on me, as you have with anyone who dares to criticize Crown, Cappybara will tell you that I have levied these exact crticicsms of BD over the years. They have been the masters of musical show offs. When their show concepts actually take center stage, as they did with Tempest and Dreams, they are literally unbeatable. Music has to support the concept. It can’t just be as many notes as you can possibly play.

You're preaching to the choir. Crown definitely has some issues with their design this year (but I still wouldn't call it a miss :biggrin:).  You can criticize Crown -- I  certainly do (although maybe not so much here as we seem to be in need of Crown honks in this thread).   Honestly if they had chosen better musical selections in Part 2 they might have medaled.  They made some other choices that I question as well.  But it's still one heck of a drum corps show.  Watching it live bowls you over.  

And Cappy is a Crown traitor. He found out it was cooler to like BD so he switched brands :ninja: 

Edited by karuna
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, karuna said:

You're preaching to the choir. Crown definitely has some issues with their design this year (but I still wouldn't call it a miss :biggrin:).  You can criticize Crown -- I  certainly do (although maybe not so much here as we seem to be in need of Crown honks in this thread).   Honestly if they had chosen better musical selections in Part 2 they might have medaled.  They made some other choices that I question as well.  But it's still one heck of a drum corps show.  Watching it live bowls you over.  

And Cappy is a Crown traitor. He found out it was cooler to like BD so he switched brands :ninja: 

He isn’t a Crown hater. He helps run this site. I disagree with him plenty regarding BD, he has his typical BD blind spots, but he isn’t a hater.

• Haha 1