Carolina Crown 2018

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

The main part of the costume/uniform /whatever, looks fine to me. But the headgear... the top looks a handle on a "bring your own" grocery bag. LOL. Bizarre

Maybe bizarre is exactly what they were going for.   Sure has peaked interest. 

This post is nothing more than me venting about all the negativity in this thread, of which everyone that chooses can ignore: 

In my opinion, if Crown does something people don't like (e.g. the uniform/costume choice) folks are all up in arms with repeated negative comments that go on for pages.  But when another corps like SCV (I personally thought last years uniform/costume was awful) everyone is like it looks amazing and fits the show concept so well (maybe my frustration is coming from the results of group think).  I get the fact that people have bias by nature, but I look forward to the day when this thread returns to excitement and hype about the upcoming show instead of pages upon pages of negativity. The kids at Crown and all drum corps are working there buts off day in and day out to put out high quality products.  I say all this to say, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I support everyone's opinion regardless of my own, as I am happy we live in a society where each individual is allowed the privilege to voice their preferences/choices/opinions.  

There is no real point to this post other than when I read through it and other corps threads the difference is clear.  I have no desire to fight with anyone as everyone on this site is free to voice their opinions as often and as frequent as they want.  I teach this same principle to my kids.

I for one, am very hype about Crown's possibility to win the gold this year.  From what I am told from alumni and based on the recordings I have heard, their music package is one of the best/hardest they have ever put out, and the visual/drill is insane, and the color guard/percussion are both bringing fire.  I am also told that the show has a lot of GE and emotion, as they explore all sides to the "BEAST" similar to a human.  I love how they left the show title vague so each individual can interpret what Beast means to their experience.  This openness is  usually appreciated in the DCI community, as the Cadets were beat over the head for their literal implications in their show of the Power of Ten.

I predict Crown will change some minds once folks see what they have been up too and there dedication to excellence.  I also predict this show will rank 1-3 when its all said and done.

Regards,

Edited by B-Flat
  • Like 2

all corps could do a lot more to drive the narrative on message boards by releasing minimal info/tidbits about their show a little earlier than most corps are doing nowadays.

drum corps fans are niche-y, but super passionate and vocal.  what the #### else are we supposed to talk about?  that crown costume stuff was the most interesting news about the corps to come out in months.

i'm told over and over again that nobody on corps staff gives a flying you know what about message boards anyway, so i don't get the indignation. 

LOVE crown so much, so please don't get the vapors over this.  

Edited by Lance
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, B-Flat said:

In my opinion, if Crown does something people don't like (e.g. the uniform/costume choice) folks are all up in arms with repeated negative comments that go on for pages.  But when another corps like SCV (I personally thought last years uniform/costume was awful) everyone is like it looks amazing and fits the show concept so well (maybe my frustration is coming from the results of group think).  I get the fact that people have bias by nature, but I look forward to the day when this thread returns to excitement and hype about the upcoming show instead of pages upon pages of negativity. The kids at Crown and all drum corps are working there buts off day in and day out to put out high quality products.  I say all this to say, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I support everyone's opinion regardless of my own, as I am happy we live in a society where each individual is allowed the privilege to voice their preferences/choices/opinions. 

Personally Crown is my favorite! But that's just me, a brass guy. Although, now that their percussion situation is much better, their music and GE could be really good. They just need to get their guard in line and they could have a second gold medal.

With regards to the uniforms, I find that usually the uniforms work well with the overall mood of the show, once it gets put on the field. The orange guard costumes from T/LT made the show feel completely different than if they would've been red or green or gray or something. Once the show is revealed, the uniforms might be a little cooler.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B-Flat said:

This post is nothing more than me venting about all the negativity in this thread, of which everyone that chooses can ignore: 

There is no real point to this post other than when I read through it and other corps threads the difference is clear.  I have no desire to fight with anyone as everyone on this site is free to voice their opinions as often and as frequent as they want.  I teach this same principle to my kids.

I for one, am very hype about Crown's possibility to win the gold this year.  From what I am told from alumni and based on the recordings I have heard, their music package is one of the best/hardest they have ever put out, and the visual/drill is insane, and the color guard/percussion are both bringing fire.  I am also told that the show has a lot of GE and emotion, as they explore all sides to the "BEAST" similar to a human.  I love how they left the show title vague so each individual can interpret what Beast means to their experience.  This openness is  usually appreciated in the DCI community, as the Cadets were beat over the head for their literal implications in their show of the Power of Ten.

I predict Crown will change some minds once folks see what they have been up too and there dedication to excellence.  I also predict this show will rank 1-3 when its all said and done.

Regards,

Crown does seem to be taking it on the chin this early season, but Crown never has a shortage of fans and probably won’t once the summer arrives.

2 hours ago, B-Flat said:

Regards,

at least they won't have to buy every jock strap in town LOL