2018 Prediction Thread

29 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

They didn't seem to get docked in the score sheet for it, so why not have a singer. 

They still had a 19.8 in Music Analysis. They were 2nd and 3rd in Music GE.

Seems that if singing (and any mic issues thereof) doesn't affect scores, then it would be logical to assume there isn't much risk.

It isn't about the scores, it'a about the members. Why would a future design staff purposefully put their members in that position in the future?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

It isn't about the scores, it'a about the members. Why would a future design staff purposefully put their members in that position in the future?

The odd thing this year about Crowns decision was there was no "need" for a vocalist - with the strength of the brass line and the vet laden section they had

Both Cadets & Boston had younger brass lines (particularly Cadets) so having some of the "voicing" and melody carried by a vocalist makes a bit more programming sense

Crown could have deconstructed the field and gone from traditional to non traditional music/arrangements/staging and everyone would have "gotten it" just fine

They didn't carry the idea fully into other aspects - like the guard was still spinning traditional non-deconstructed flags right until the end. 

So - in that case I didn't get the vocalist and the disney-like (I know, it's Wicked) middle of the show at all. Not with THAT brassline

• Like 2

Just now, Cappybara said:

Understood, but remember SVC 2015 opening with the keyboard player??? You could make the same argument to not have put them in that same position.

So are keyboards/electronic instrumentation putting members in a bad position as well?
If you say yes that's fine, but I don't believe that you can say they are different.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It isn't about the scores, it'a about the members.

I'm not convinced this is an accurate blanket statement when it comes to show design.

How many marching members had to spend hours building, moving, unbuilding and reloading props this season? How many of them got to watch precious few peer performances due to these responsibilities? 

Very often, today, it is all about the scores. And not about the members.

• Like 2

Alright, I guess I'll be the first 2018 WAY WAY WAY Too Early picks:

1) SCV- Cause they just have an amazing staff and will dazzle us again.

2) BD- 2017 was a great show, just a hunch that magic will be harder to replicate, or they'll just win #19.

3) Cavaliers- Just feels like the Machine has returned. A little better vehicle will get them there.

4) Crown- Kinda feels like they slipped a bit this year though they medaled (2017) and I personally loved the music. It will be interesting to see what they have in store for 18.

5) Boston- Yeah these guys will be in the top 3 in a few years with more experience. The staff and corps improvement is mind blowing.

6) Bluecoats- Such innovation in such a short amount of time, like Crown just feels like they've hit a wall.... so much cool stuff designed in their shows each year, hard tonkeep up that pace.

7) Blue Knights- 60th anniversary, can't wait to see what they come up with. Honestly BK could have a top 4-5 corps next season if every aspect of the design is spot on. Very definitely a wild card.

8) Cadets- Kinda felt like they got a bit of a pass this year.... They stepped up, no doubt, but the corps right below them were just about to catch up. They've got the most questions going into the fall I believe.

9) Phantom- Right path for Phantom just still lacking in design. 2017 was a very difficult book  and drill that the members got at the end, but the design idea was just ok?!?

10) BStars- likewise to Phantom, with a better vehicle to drive they could be knocking on the top 7-8. Feels like the corps needs concepts to match the maturity of the hornline playing, drumming and spinning going on.

11) Madison- They really could rise next year or  drop right back out. A wild card, but I think with the growth from mid season to end the Scouts will be a force next year

12) Crossmen- Harder and harder to move up... Xmen have great corps now year in and out, but need to move design concepts farther forward or be in danger of dropping.

13) Mandarins- Oh so close again but just short

14) SCVC- Feels like WC finals is in the future 

15) Academy- Can they recapture the magic of 2016? 

16) Colts- Harder and harder for great quality corps like Colts to move up

17) Troopers

18) Genesis

19) Pac Crest

20) Cascades

21) Oregon Crusaders

22) Spirit

23) Jersey Surf

i will eat crow next August I'm sure for being way wrong:)

Wes P

• Like 1

2017 was noteable in part as an anniversary year for two big corps. They ended 1 and 2. Am I reading histories right that 2018 is an anniversary year for two other big corps - Scouts and Cavaliers?

2 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

2017 was noteable in part as an anniversary year for two big corps. They ended 1 and 2. Am I reading histories right that 2018 is an anniversary year for two other big corps - Scouts and Cavaliers?

Ahem Blue Knights also 60th... cough cough:) 

hehehehe

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wesleyrp said:

Ahem Blue Knights also 60th... cough cough:) 

hehehehe

Good for BK, too. I wasn't doing a thorough search for founding years. Just noticed the guys' corps. So now three. And I think 60 (BK), 70 (Cavies), and 80 (Scouts). That's a lot of years of drum corps.

Edited by mjoakes
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Understood, but remember SVC 2015 opening with the keyboard player??? You could make the same argument to not have put them in that same position.

So are keyboards/electronic instrumentation putting members in a bad position as well?
If you say yes that's fine, but I don't believe that you can say they are different.

Wireless mics are quite different from wired mics. Both have inherent risks, but the technology for wireless mics is still extremely undeveloped. 

I do think there is a difference between SCV's keyboardist and Crown's singer: in the first instance, it was the member's fault. In the second, it was the technology's fault.