2018 Prediction Thread

5 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Assuming an organization with that kind of track record doesn't know how to stay in the top of the activity is a mistake. 

Making finals is staying on top of the activity, if you want my opinion.

• Like 2

I predict that Crown gets a trombone section, receives a couple of sound ordinance warnings throughout the season, and causes a minor earthquake at finals, ranking a 2.4 on the Richter scale. 

1 hour ago, Slingerland said:

There were a number of DCP folks saying the same thing about them being top 5 after last year. 

I like Bloo and their organization. But realistically, they have one title and three other Top 3 finishes in 30 years of being a regular finalist, vs seven titles and twelve other top three finishes for Rosemont in that same 30 year span (four top 3's vs nineteen top 3's in other words). Assuming an organization with that kind of track record doesn't know how to stay in the top of the activity is a mistake. 

What happened 10 years ago in this activity is utterly irrelevant now. Heck maybe even five years ago. Kids marching Cavaliers right now were in diapers when they won with frameworks. 

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

What happened 10 years ago in this activity is utterly irrelevant now. Heck maybe even five years ago. Kids marching Cavaliers right now were in diapers when they won with frameworks. 

OK. Shorten the window to three years, and Canton has gone from a 3rd place to a 5th place corps, and Rosemont from a 9th to a 4th place corps. If the audition pool is looking at recent performance trends, Rosemont looks to be the better bet for the ring chasers, since Green is on the upwards trajectory. :lle:

Brass performance was the biggest consistent weakness in Cavaliers' scoring this year. Assuming they see the same growth in proficiency they showed in 2016 to 2017 in that caption, there's nothing else that indicates a change in their position in the competitive strata. Bigger picture is that Boston will likely also stay in that top 6 group, and they're strong enough in some captions already (especially Guard), that is increases the overall competitiveness within the top half finalists so that, outside of BD, no one is really a lock for the very top anymore.

As for the earlier comment about "all finalists being at the top', yeah, not really. Half of all WC corps make finals, so yes, you could say that Finalists are the "top half" of the activity, but it's the top 4 or 5 who are really driving the boat when it comes to competitive standards.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2017 at 11:45 PM, BRASSO said:

In retrospect, when I think about it, its true, people can believe and do whatever they want. It is a free country. The Bluscoats finished 5th at Finals, but heck if you want to put them even in 1st place in your assessment, nothing can, nor should stop that. So upon reflection, I'm not about to attempt to tell you want you should think or believe. People do dig in their heels on things, and no sense in me pointing out what the DCI judges believed in the end. I suppose Madison Scouts then were a Top 12 Finals Corps in 2016 too. What the heck, why not. They only were out of the Top12 for 1 nite too.. So there it is. Judges say one thing. Fans say another.  Both Madison 2016 and Bluecoats 2017 are really not where the judges put them in the end, if fans want to put them elsewhere in their minds in rankings, so be it. What the heck, why not.

You have to stop over reacting to my posts, Brasso.  The post I wrote, in which your above post is a response to, was somewhat meant to be sarcastic. In other words, I'm busting your chops a bit. Yes, I totally agree that in reality Cavaliers took 4th and that is where they presently sit. My saying the Bluecoats are still a top 4 corps is part me feeling they were top 4 all summer until the last day, and also where they have been on average for most of the past 4 years. Nothing more, nothing less.  Arguing over how people see recent history, like the last 4 years, is pointless. You're dissecting this a bit too much. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

You're dissecting this a bit too much. 

That's what he does with everyone. He loves his dead horses

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

The post I wrote, in which your above post is a response to, was somewhat meant to be sarcastic. In other words, I'm busting your chops a bit.  

Oh, I get it NOW. You were being sarcastic, and wanted to bust my chops a bit. It worked. I fell for it, I will have to admit.  I should have known you were not really serious in your commentary above. Its easy to be easily duped without the emoticons included however, imo, and so you got me this time,  by being able to successfully bust my chops a bit. I'll be more prepared the next time though, you devil you,.... lol!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

That's what he does with everyone. He loves his dead horses

I  also get a chuckle at YOU bringing UP " the dead horses"  canard on here.... and almost daily now... lo!!!

Edited by BRASSO