2018 Prediction Thread

On 8/13/2017 at 3:11 PM, MikeRapp said:

2. SCV - heard they were very young this year, and that's exciting for next year. Momentum finally on their side. Maybe a thematic show again? 

Lol no. Some MM's on Reddit that said they had a 50+ person ageout class.  They will probably still be incredible though.

Edited by BoaDci

2 hours ago, snare_guy_83 said:

That GE judge (Stone) that put them in 5th is a Visual judge. Stone and Gray=Visual. McGahey and Davis=Music.
Even with perfect scores in GE Music, it would have added 0.6 points to their total score. They were 1.025 behind Vanguard.

The recap listed the score under GE Music. Is the recap incorrect? Had they gotten higher GE music, and top music (like they did Prelims), they would have been close or beyond SCV. Once the mic hiccupped, it seemed the gold was gone. When the mic problem persisted, it felt lucky that they even medaled. The crowd was gasping. It felt disastrous from the audience... after they rocked it at Prelims. The judges might have thrown them higher numbers, but not with that fiasco. 

Don't want to start a new thread just for this, so I'll bring it here. Sort of a 2018 item, though not a prediction. It will pass quickly, I hope, so the wish lists can continue.

A new group, Indiana Storm (indianastorm.net) expects to do SoundSport in 2018 and 2019, moving to Open Class in 2020. They are based in Terre Haute, Indiana.

Question: I thought I visited early in 2017 the web site of another group in Indiana making initial plans to start a corps. Does that sound familiar to anyone or was it Indiana Storm or am I just imagining this?

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 10:39 AM, wesleyrp said:

Alright, I guess I'll be the first 2018 WAY WAY WAY Too Early picks:

1) SCV- Cause they just have an amazing staff and will dazzle us again.

2) BD- 2017 was a great show, just a hunch that magic will be harder to replicate, or they'll just win #19.

3) Cavaliers- Just feels like the Machine has returned. A little better vehicle will get them there.

4) Crown- Kinda feels like they slipped a bit this year though they medaled (2017) and I personally loved the music. It will be interesting to see what they have in store for 18.

5) Boston- Yeah these guys will be in the top 3 in a few years with more experience. The staff and corps improvement is mind blowing.

6) Bluecoats- Such innovation in such a short amount of time, like Crown just feels like they've hit a wall.... so much cool stuff designed in their shows each year, hard tonkeep up that pace.

7) Blue Knights- 60th anniversary, can't wait to see what they come up with. Honestly BK could have a top 4-5 corps next season if every aspect of the design is spot on. Very definitely a wild card.

8) Cadets- Kinda felt like they got a bit of a pass this year.... They stepped up, no doubt, but the corps right below them were just about to catch up. They've got the most questions going into the fall I believe.

9) Phantom- Right path for Phantom just still lacking in design. 2017 was a very difficult book  and drill that the members got at the end, but the design idea was just ok?!?

10) BStars- likewise to Phantom, with a better vehicle to drive they could be knocking on the top 7-8. Feels like the corps needs concepts to match the maturity of the hornline playing, drumming and spinning going on.

11) Madison- They really could rise next year or  drop right back out. A wild card, but I think with the growth from mid season to end the Scouts will be a force next year

12) Crossmen- Harder and harder to move up... Xmen have great corps now year in and out, but need to move design concepts farther forward or be in danger of dropping.

13) Mandarins- Oh so close again but just short

14) SCVC- Feels like WC finals is in the future 

15) Academy- Can they recapture the magic of 2016? 

16) Colts- Harder and harder for great quality corps like Colts to move up

17) Troopers

18) Genesis

19) Pac Crest

20) Cascades

21) Oregon Crusaders

22) Spirit

23) Jersey Surf

i will eat crow next August I'm sure for being way wrong:)

Wes P

Where did Crown slip?  Third place.  Jim Ott.  Best percussion in many years.  New staff in guard but still top 6.  If that is slipping then wow, what a year 2018 will be

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

57 minutes ago, Ediker said:

The recap listed the score under GE Music. Is the recap incorrect? Had they gotten higher GE music, and top music (like they did Prelims), they would have been close or beyond SCV. Once the mic hiccupped, it seemed the gold was gone. When the mic problem persisted, it felt lucky that they even medaled. The crowd was gasping. It felt disastrous from the audience... after they rocked it at Prelims. The judges might have thrown them higher numbers, but not with that fiasco. 

Start with Allentown Day 2, the DCI recap sheets paired Visual/Music in each GE1 and GE2 like you would see at any non-regional or championships event. 

This is how the recaps read:
Prelims: Sturgeon-Visual | Hestin-Music | Kennedy-Music | Howell-Visual
Semis: Torchia-Visual | Greenwell-Music | Wemhoff-Visual | Turner-Music
Finals: Gray-Visual | McGahey-Music | Davis-Music | Stone-Visual

If you took the highest score in each sub-caption across all 3 days, Crown would have maxed out at 97.25.
SCV had a 97.6 at Finals. Still 0.35 behind.

Gold was gone??? Crown only beat BD in 2 sub-captions, Brass and Music Analysis.
Back 0.825 in GE Visual Total + 0.35 in GE Music Total =1.175 Total GE & 0.9 in Guard (which is -0.45 toward the total score)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Start with Allentown Day 2, the DCI recap sheets paired Visual/Music in each GE1 and GE2 like you would see at any non-regional or championships event. 

This is how the recaps read:
Prelims: Sturgeon-Visual | Hestin-Music | Kennedy-Music | Howell-Visual
Semis: Torchia-Visual | Greenwell-Music | Wemhoff-Visual | Turner-Music
Finals: Gray-Visual | McGahey-Music | Davis-Music | Stone-Visual

If you took the highest score in each sub-caption across all 3 days, Crown would have maxed out at 97.25.
SCV had a 97.6 at Finals. Still 0.35 behind.

Gold was gone??? Crown only beat BD in 2 sub-captions, Brass and Music Analysis.
Back 0.825 in GE Visual Total + 0.35 in GE Music Total =1.175 Total GE & 0.9 in Guard (which is -0.45 toward the total score)

I don't understand exactly what you're expressing.  In a nutshell, my point is that Crown had an outside chance at gold, and a definite chance to take silver.  Any chance was blown when the mic malfunctioned in both semis and finals.  Had their runs been good in semis and finals, the judges might have given them higher ordinals in more subcaptions.  BD and SCV were the odds on favorites, deservedly, for 1st and 2nd.  Crown was a likely 3rd.  The mic disaster nixed any chance of them turning in their best performances and possibly moving up during semis and finals.  They were lucky to hold 3rd, imho.  BD and SCV were the class of the field.  Any remaining east coast hopes were dashed with that sputtering mic.  

Here's what I know to be fact for 2018, not just a prediction. It will take forever for May/June to get here and then August will just suddenly happen way too quickly...and then, just like that, the 2019 prediction thread. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Question: I thought I visited early in 2017 the web site of another group in Indiana making initial plans to start a corps. Does that sound familiar to anyone or was it Indiana Storm or am I just imagining this?

@ripchops answered elsewhere that this is Indianapolis Ignition. They participated in SoundSport a short while, but sat out the 2017 season. Not finding much in the way of a web of Facebook presence for them.

• Like 1