Blue Devils 2018

1 hour ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

All I want for Christmas (in July I guess) is for BD to have more mellophone features. Last year they featured an awful lot of trumpet, and while they sounded amazing all season, I wish there was more middle voice features and melodies.

I always thought of BDs brass writing as very top heavy... they love their trumpets, even make their mellos pick up a trumpet at some point in recent years. From what I’ve heard there wasn’t a major “mello feature” although the mello parts are crazy hard, you’ll know what I mean when you hear it. Haven’t heard the closer much so who knows maybe we’ll hear one. Either way, it’s going to be very demanding and entertaining!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, johnpendell said:

I always thought of BDs brass writing as very top heavy... they love their trumpets, even make their mellos pick up a trumpet at some point in recent years. From what I’ve heard there wasn’t a major “mello feature” although the mello parts are crazy hard, you’ll know what I mean when you hear it. Haven’t heard the closer much so who knows maybe we’ll hear one. Either way, it’s going to be very demanding and entertaining!

Do you know if there's as much screaming trumpet as there was last year? I know that the Bluecoats and BD both love to have trumpet soloists in the stratosphere, but I always hope that they don't have it so much throughout the entire show (like last year for BD and 2016 for the Bluecoats). Sorry if I sound like I'm complaining, I just never really care for it as a non trumpet player. I can appreciate the talent though. Those who do it never fail to impress!

BD has had some amazing trumpet players.... including, and especially the last few years.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

Do you know if there's as much screaming trumpet as there was last year? I know that the Bluecoats and BD both love to have trumpet soloists in the stratosphere, but I always hope that they don't have it so much throughout the entire show (like last year for BD and 2016 for the Bluecoats). Sorry if I sound like I'm complaining, I just never really care for it as a non trumpet player. I can appreciate the talent though. Those who do it never fail to impress!

There is quite a bit of screaming trumpet, about the same from previous years. I understand what you mean though sometimes I would be over it because they do it so much. Not to discredit them, but I’m sure you know what I mean. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnpendell said:

There is quite a bit of screaming trumpet, about the same from previous years. I understand what you mean though sometimes I would be over it because they do it so much. Not to discredit them, but I’m sure you know what I mean. 

Well, I guess it's part of their formula that helps them be so successful. And yes, I understand you 100%

On 6/1/2018 at 9:37 AM, rmurrey74 said:

I just listened to the audio recordings that were posted here yesterday.This just sounds like classic Blue Devils! I can't wait to here it with better quality on the field.

Classic Blue Devils....while last year had some classic-feeling moments, and I personally thought parts of 2011 sounded old school, I can't remember the last time I could say that more than a snippet of a BD show sounded like "classic Blue Devils." Granted, depending on age, I guess we all have a difference definition of classic! Part of me wants to wait to see any clips until Family Day...but I know I will be scouring the interwebs later tonight for something from tonight!

GO DEVS!! 19!!

• Like 3

OMG the ballad is kicking ###! can i say that word... my mouth was wide open in Pure Awwwee

I get to hear the sneak peak it was terrible audio though.. but i have to say this.. NOSTALGIA BLUE DEVILS. Pure Classic blue devils, it's amazing.