Blue Devils 2018

Members from one corps to the next from all reports are pretty friendly with each other. While hosting members from 2012-2015 I often sat in on discussions about their favorite parts of other corps shows. I always enjoyed watching and listening to practice and discussions just as much as the shows. BD Family Day is my favorite day of the year!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, corps8294 said:

One thing I've always wondered is what do the members of the Blue Devils think of the shows from other corps? The BD organization just seems to be on a tier all their own, now. Do the members only dig what they are doing or do they appreciate the shows from those below them? I recall in 2014 the members seemed really curious about the Bluecoats after the finals scores were announced. 

My son's favorite show to do while he marched BD the last two years was the Santa Barbara exhibition. The corps got to sit in the stands and watch each other perform their shows. He loved doing that. With Cadets pulling out of the West Coast Swing that show didn't make it this year. Pity. About the only other time they get to se the other corps live is at the TOC shows when they perform early. 

Edited by desertrat68
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, corps8294 said:

One thing I've always wondered is what do the members of the Blue Devils think of the shows from other corps? The BD organization just seems to be on a tier all their own, now. Do the members only dig what they are doing or do they appreciate the shows from those below them? I recall in 2014 the members seemed really curious about the Bluecoats after the finals scores were announced. 

I marched five years with BD, worked in the organization for another two...and though I bleed blue, I was first a drum corps fan and still am. During my marching days, I'd typically drive to the local shows instead of taking the bus. I would get there a couple hours early, and would "do the lot", checking out other groups warming up. SCV's excellent drum lines were always there a good 3+ hours ahead, so I'd spend a great deal of time enjoying their warm-ups and runthroughs. If I could catch some horn lines, I'd do that too. I'm obviously proud of my home group, but it doesn't dampen my appreciation for ALL corps. Heck, my #1 played drum corps show in my car is '15 Bluecoats. I play plenty of BD and others, but I'm hardly an stubborn homer that only watches BD. Sadly, despite the reputation, I think most BD alumni are of the same ilk. The number of "fans" that discount/ignore/denigrate BD saddens me, because there is so much to enjoy there, just as with all the groups. They're constant champions because of their excellence, and those who choose to shun them do so to their own detriment, IMHO. Off the soapbox now.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

2014 was magic.  I remember sitting there at the Ft. Wayne show early July and the Bluecoats had just lit us up with a very tight run of Tilt.   Everyone was wondering if we were going to see someone pass BD for the first time this season.  Some of Bloo's staff came and sat behind us for BD's run and when it was done we heard him mutter, "That's 16."  The BD volunteer sitting next to me mentioned, "I don't know, they seemed tired and kind of flat after the ballad."  As much as the show blew everyone away, it was noticeable that they could could do better in closing the show (new closers weren't on the field yet for competition.) 

When scores came out, BD won by around a point and I was rather surprised that it was even that close.  I think that was as close as anyone got that year.  La Strada was just amazing that night.  As good as Bloo's Hymn was, it was those pauses and entrances at the end of  La Strada the seemed to suck the warm summer air right out of the stadium.

Shortly after scores was announced for this show. I came on DCP and said Bluecoats wouldn't get within a point of BD the rest of the season. Boy was that a bad idea lol. I got rocked by a bunch of people for saying that. Turned out i was right. BD was flat, looked tired and uninspired that night. Meanwhile, Bluecoats............my goodness!! They owned Ft Wayne! They were on fire and that performance was electric. And they still lost by a full point. That was all i needed to see. If a monster show like Tilt (my favorite Bluecoats show of all time) can't beat BD on their worst day.........God Bless.  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, BDCorno said:

I marched five years with BD, worked in the organization for another two...and though I bleed blue, I was first a drum corps fan and still am. During my marching days, I'd typically drive to the local shows instead of taking the bus. I would get there a couple hours early, and would "do the lot", checking out other groups warming up. SCV's excellent drum lines were always there a good 3+ hours ahead, so I'd spend a great deal of time enjoying their warm-ups and runthroughs. If I could catch some horn lines, I'd do that too. I'm obviously proud of my home group, but it doesn't dampen my appreciation for ALL corps. Heck, my #1 played drum corps show in my car is '15 Bluecoats. I play plenty of BD and others, but I'm hardly an stubborn homer that only watches BD. Sadly, despite the reputation, I think most BD alumni are of the same ilk. The number of "fans" that discount/ignore/denigrate BD saddens me, because there is so much to enjoy there, just as with all the groups. They're constant champions because of their excellence, and those who choose to shun them do so to their own detriment, IMHO. Off the soapbox now.

Agreed. It is sad, because there's a lot of love for what other corps are doing among alumni, staff, current MMs, and family within the org. I'm sure that's true for Crown, Cadets, Bluecoats, etc. as well. I think a lot of fans lose sight of just how small our activity is, and that a lot of these folks know each other and are just excited about their friends accomplishments as their own.

This activity is so much better when one is open minded and finds something to appreciate in each of the groups.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Shortly after scores was announced for this show. I came on DCP and said Bluecoats wouldn't get within a point of BD the rest of the season. Boy was that a bad idea lol. I got rocked by a bunch of people for saying that. Turned out i was right. BD was flat, looked tired and uninspired that night. Meanwhile, Bluecoats............my goodness!! They owned Ft Wayne! They were on fire and that performance was electric. And they still lost by a full point. That was all i needed to see. If a monster show like Tilt (my favorite Bluecoats show of all time) can't beat BD on their worst day.........God Bless.  

Yeah.  BD wasn't having their best night that night but they did have some amazing moments and they were nutso clean for early July. Bloo was really breaking out with Tilt in that show.  This was before the final closer so it still had the multiple trust jumps and all kinds of amazing visual chaos in the tag after the bend (I sort of liked that better than the single jumper and z-pull, but I understand why they changed it to get something that visually pushed in one direction and was more cleanable).  

But BD was better that night overall.  If I recall, Bloo took guard and percussion that night.  It was the GE monster that Felliniesque was becoming that overtook them. 

38 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

Agreed. It is sad, because there's a lot of love for what other corps are doing among alumni, staff, current MMs, and family within the org. I'm sure that's true for Crown, Cadets, Bluecoats, etc. as well. I think a lot of fans lose sight of just how small our activity is, and that a lot of these folks know each other and are just excited about their friends accomplishments as their own.

This activity is so much better when one is open minded and finds something to appreciate in each of the groups.

This 100000% and it's also ok to not like a thing or two that a group does. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you can't appreciate it. Everyone is bound to have something that they don't enjoy (like me and squealing trumpets) but that doesn't mean it's the worst thing on the planet and isn't worth taking the time to marvel at what some of these groups are accomplishing. I wish some people would grow up and realize that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kinetic inferno11 said:

This 100000% and it's also ok to not like a thing or two that a group does. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean you can't appreciate it. Everyone is bound to have something that they don't enjoy (like me and squealing trumpets) but that doesn't mean it's the worst thing on the planet and isn't worth taking the time to marvel at what some of these groups are accomplishing. I wish some people would grow up and realize that.

LOL! What drives me nuts are blanket (untrue) statements designed to cut down another group. I don't ever mind having a discussion (as opposed to a trollish pissing contest) with anyone about any corps, their show, things that are good and not so much, etc.. I just can't take my judging hat off...guess it's just my personality but there ya go. It's not unreasonable be able to give a bit of critique without being mean, and also to not set people off, but I guess that's the nature of social media. Sigh. The top corps are all very good, and the differences are many times NOT clear cut. You're down to judging things like intrinsic performance level/quality, third and fourth level design concepts and splitting hairs in the "box 5" realm. To say that corps A was better than corps B in these conditions isn't condemnation of any of them, it's just an acknowledgement that one is the better of some really good choices.

It's hard for some fans to swallow, but in my 45 years around drum corps, it's far more common that my favorite shows aren't title winners. 75 BD, 74 Kingsmen, 74 Muchachos, 73 Argonne, 74 Purple Lancers, 73 Blue Stars, 73 Commodores, 75 Blue Stars, 75 Kilties, 75 Oakland Crusaders, 73 Troopers...these were all favorites in my formative years and not a #### one was a winner. It didn't affect my enjoyment of any, and they all played a big part in building my love for the activity. Tearing down the winner only cheapens ALL groups. At the end of the day (hate that phrase lol), the winner will still be the winner, and if you think they "sucked", it just meant your favorite group wasn't as good as "suck". Makes no sense to me. 

Edited by BDCorno
  • Like 4